EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Kessel!!!

OW0ehRc.gif

Reactions: Ryder71

XanderCrews34

Mar 28, 2014
That's not really how the story went. That was part of it, sure, but not the whole story. Not even close. They didn't compete anywhere close to how they are competing now. And kudos to the players for being able to progressively turn that switch up. They are really playing a solid team game night in/night out. It's impressive. But they weren't playing anything close to their capability early in the season.

The only part you got right is that people overreacted. Badly. :laugh:
In fairness, there were tons of issues that led to the losing skid but I think the relative continuity they’ve had in the lineup (particularly the back end since the MP pickup) has been part of what got the team back into a rhythm.

It just felt like a ton of guys were unsure of what they were supposed to be doing and couldn’t effectively read off each other. Now they’re playing much more confidently and it’s making them look quick again.

But really the biggest difference is the goaltending. MM being MM really does change the entire outlook for this team and CDS playing at this level has been another godsend.

XanderCrews34

Mar 28, 2014
Oh, he is lazy, he is just smart lazy. He works when he needs to and he always produces.
I don’t think he’s lazy. I think he’s just always trying to play offense. So his effort is just almost always geared to getting scoring chances when mayyybe he could be defending a little more diligently.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
That’s an easy conclusion to jump to though.

Brass has 9 goals and 20 points in his first 43 games as a Pen

Bones had 3 goals and 11 points after his first 50, and I wanted him gone so badly by January that season. However, he then caught fire in March and and we know how that all ended.

Bones had a rep as a playoff performer just like Brass as well.

Bones simply caught fire at the right time, and that’s exactly what they needed then.

Not sure why Brass can’t do the same as he’s done it before and he’s a more talented guy than Bones.
I think if the lines can stabilize that will do wonders for Brass. In the media scrum the other day, the impression that I got from Brass was that constantly being juggled on various lines was getting to him. "what consistency?, we haven't had any. This line could change tomorrow." Not verbatim, but that was the gist of his response when asked about playing on the same line a few games in a row. It definitely seemed like a sore spot for him. (and that was on a night he had two goals.)

Last edited:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
De Smith again...

Was my choice for #1 performer of the game, wasn't even really close, he came up big a lot.

MAN.............. damn new years, wifey got me another beer when I was fixin to go cook something and get in my night-night gear and watch a movie and crash. Now I'm up for awhile.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Was my choice for #1 performer of the game, wasn't even really close, he came up big a lot.

MAN.............. damn new years, wifey got me another beer when I was fixin to go cook something and get in my night-night gear and watch a movie and crash. Now I'm up for awhile.

I have Kessel #2 so far... Unfortunately I know the fireworks are all done for the Pens.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Funny thing about being 8-2 in the last 10 is that the capitals and penguins are both 8-2 and CBJ and Isles are both 7-2-1.
So while the pens sucked it up they didn't lose that much ground, but since they turned it up they only gained 1 pt on cbj and isles and 0 on caps in the last 10 games.
That is ridiculous.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I have Kessel #2 so far... Unfortunately I know the fireworks are all done for the Pens.
I had Smitty with three +++ Crosby and Kessel at ++, both were really good. Sid above Phil though, sid is just insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad