Post-Game Talk: Penguins 3, Oilers 2 - Baby Steps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Aren't teams given the schedule ahead of time in case they have any issues with it? Or is that just for arena availability conflicts and not because a team can contest a ridiculously bad schedule?

Pittsburgh is tied with another club (CHI? WSH? TOR? EDM? - another popular team) for b2b's with 19. The team can only 'suck it up'. This is what happens when the team is one of the best in the league with the best players in the league. Other teams want the Pens to visit on specific dates for quality home dates (FRI/SAT when possible).

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Same shit, just Murray who saved the team's bacon. Some improvements from the Crosby line, but overall poor display being outshot and awful 5 on 5.
If Hagelin is going to be the scapegoat just trade him then.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Or maybe..

Just maybe, Letang isn't as bad as some of you and group of this forum want to make him seem.

Dude was great on the power play tonight, but everyone blames Letang for making Malkin take three straight shots into Russel's shinpads.

He's the new Kunitz. Lazy complaint from the typical loud voices on this forum.

And that isn't to say Letang has been good to start the season. Just the accusations of him being braindead and horrendous are just stupid.

I seriously think this is the most lazy post of all time. You have such a need to go against the norm, like it's an obsession for you, and that's what you do every single game. Cool. You are different. I like different thoughts/perspectives, but all you try to do is simply say it and you turn a blind eye to what obviously took place on the ice.

Very important - Letang is not the new Kunitz:

This needs to stop. Even the guy himself sits there and admits he's having trouble. That does not make him a whipping boy or the next Kunitz or whatever lazy rhetoric people want to spew. Letang had a great start to the game yesterday. People were praising him. And i've already given the examples but the play up the boards, which was bad luck hitting the ref, spiraled his game back to turnover city. Then you had an easy d-to-d pass from Maatta go right by him for a turnover leading to a scoring chance. Then you had an easy d to d pass to Ruh that he shoved in the one forecheckers skates that went for a scoring chance. He started fumbling the puck and making easy mental errors because he lost that confidence.

And if you want to see body language... watch after the 2nd goal Letang lose his mind at the ref. That was Bylsma breakdown stuff right there. That shit happens all the time. It sucks, but it was bad luck. He chased his mistake, which really was just a bad bounce, and he lost his mind.

And lastly - bad play doesn't mean the player is horrific and all is lost. This stuff happens in the NHL. He's coming off a lot of time off and an injury that could have been career ending. EK is coming off a ninjury and some time off and he's looked horrible at times this year defensively. It happens to everyone. Burns is the worst at chasing mistakes, IMO, and he looks brutal sometimes. That doesn't mean they are whipping boys or the new Kunitz. That's a lazy argument and just classic bullshit message board stuff.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I still don't like the makeup of our roster. Can JR make the right changes to fix?

It's going to be tough. Who would be our trade bait? We most likely aren't trading D, Sid, Geno, Phil, Horny or Jake. That leaves Sheary, Rust and Sprong as our most valuable pieces to bring back anything of significant value. If they trade Sprong for a short fix at 3C to "go all in" again this year, I believe that would be a nearly biblical mistake.

Our lines are still not producing at 5 0n 5, that's not only a trend so far this year, it's a norm.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
I still don't like the makeup of our roster. Can JR make the right changes to fix?

It's going to be tough. Who would be our trade bait? We most likely aren't trading D, Sid, Geno, Phil, Horny or Jake. That leaves Sheary, Rust and Sprong as our most valuable pieces to bring back anything of significant value. If they trade Sprong for a short fix at 3C to "go all in" again this year, I believe that would be a nearly biblical mistake.

Our lines are still not producing at 5 0n 5, that's not only a trend so far this year, it's a norm.
Picks. Trade picks.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The most lazy post off all time....

I'll show you a lazy post...

I agree with pixiesfanyo on this one.

I've seen a connection between people who are Letang fans and just don't like the collection of bashing he's getting versus people who just want to analyze the game correctly. I see this all the time when Geno or Sid have bad games, too. If they have a bunch of bad games in a row and are getting beat up, the fan boys come in and they have to defend the honor immediately.

Nobody is saying he's not a top 10 defender in the league. Nobody is claiming he should be traded (if they are - put them on ignore). Nobody is claiming they are now worthless. Nobody is claiming Letang will never be the same again. He's just knocking off some rust.

And the plays are right in front of you to see. But turn a blind eye. The frustration level was right in front of you to see. But hey... keep fighting the fight. I cannot imagine how anyone, with any hockey knowledge, watched those plays unfold and said "YEP. THAT IS HOW I WANT #58 TO PLAY!"

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
This. Just know...27 other NHL teams would love to slot Letang as their #1 dman...the exceptions for Karlsson, Hedman, Doughty, Burns.

I know he hasn't had the best start....but he hasn't played since last February and is coming off an injury. Pens D having injuries have magnified Letang's struggles. When the team loses by 6-7 goals and a player is on the ice for 28 mins....obviously he's going to look terrible but it's a full team issue...not just Letang. Let's give the team 20 games to get things figured out....It's November 2nd.

And Justin Schultz will never, ever in his career be the dman that Kris Letang is...
I’m a fan of tanger, but I think you assessment of 27 teams slotting him as their #1 is a little generous. I think there is probably two or three more teams at least who’d pass and then another 1/2 dozen who it’d be a coin flip with the incumbent

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Nobody is saying he's not a top 10 defender in the league.

Unpopular as it is, I need to point out that I have been saying just that since forever :).
He CAN play like a top5 guy.... ES (special teams - forget about it)... its just too rare that he does, and his drop-off is too violent, for me to consider him a top 10 guy. Playoff time in 2016... no arguments, and great timing. But man is that kind of performance level rare with him.

Reactions: Coach John McGuirk

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

If the Pens win tonight (ya I know), they will have the exact same record as they did last season at this point. People forget that things looked off then as well.

Despite the re-writing of history round here, Bones was total ass and HBK was garbage this time last year. Embrassing shoutout loss to the Habs, big loss to the Preds, then the Caps really kicked their teeth in.

Crosby was carrying the load after he came back from his concussion and masking things.

JR will be patient and see how things develop, but hopefully they try internal options first, ala Sprong, Blueger, etc.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
So Letang has 2 ES points and is on an 8 game no ES point streak. I'd say it's reflective of his play for the most part but it's also why he probably won't be taken off PP1 anytime soon.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Unpopular as it is, I need to point out that I have been saying just that since forever :).
He CAN play like a top5 guy.... ES (special teams - forget about it)... its just too rare that he does, and his drop-off is too violent, for me to consider him a top 10 guy. Playoff time in 2016... no arguments, and great timing. But man is that kind of performance level rare with him.
Very much agreed. All the athleticism and talent in the world--should be right up there with Karlsson for the consensus best in the world year after year, but between his annual 25 or so games missed to serious injury and wildly inconsistent play, he's just not on the level of some of the league's best. On any given night, he could be the best player on the ice, but like you said, those performances are way, way too infrequent to call Letang one of the best defensemen in the NHL.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
JR will be patient and see how things develop, but hopefully they try internal options first, ala Sprong, Blueger, etc.

I wouldn't mind seeing one of our AHL centers steal a start from McKegg. That guy is just kind of there. He adds nothing.

I know, I know - we are struggling because the top 6 guys are failing to produce at even strength. That doesn't mean we should just let the bottom six continue to struggle. The top six issues are more chemistry/coaching whereas the bottom six problems are more lack of talent and personnel issues.

I agree that our biggest issue right now is is the problems with our star players but I have to assume those issues will work out themselves. I just don't see our bottom six becoming effective as is....ever

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It is simple.

Letang not being in the playoffs is why I didn't believe that they could win the Cup last year. He was critical to the ability to transition the puck from their zone and his absence, along with Murray for the first couple of series which is another story entirely, made me doubt how far the Pens could go.

That said, you would have to be blind not to see That is exactly where Letang is lacking right now. Not only is he not helping, but actively sabotaging, the transition game.

Reactions: ColePens

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Like you said it's going to be tough. Who is he willing to cut? He wants to re-sign Hornqvist (and I imagine he has the same struggles with that as our board does, with regards to his fit, his contract and the term that would be needed). He can't move Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Murray, Guentzel or Letang. He probably cannot make the team better by moving Dumoulin, Maatta, Schultz and taking contracts/production into account Rust or Sheary and potentially Cole. That leaves Hagelin, Reaves, Sheahan and Hunwick - or picks and prospects. Given that we know JR is very high on Sprong, he too is probably off the table.

Bottom line... that doesn't leave him too many trade options. Cap wise this team is in good shape (now and going forward)... but our options are still limited. The pieces that have value, are needed too much here to be traded, and those we can move do not have any value (or enough to make it worth it).

PS... your double and triple space after a period drives me nuts. So here is some informational reading for you. At least the Pejorative Slured new board corrects it in the quotes and the posted text. We just have to read it when replying to you.
http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/two-spaces-after-a-period?page=1

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I wouldn't mind seeing one of our AHL centers steal a start from McKegg. That guy is just kind of there. He adds nothing.

I know, I know - we are struggling because the top 6 guys are failing to produce at even strength. That doesn't mean we should just let the bottom six continue to struggle. The top six issues are more chemistry/coaching whereas the bottom six problems are more lack of talent and personnel issues.

I agree that our biggest issue right now is is the problems with our star players but I have to assume those issues will work out themselves. I just don't see our bottom six becoming effective as is....ever

McKegg is worrying me a little now, not so much that he's a liability, but projecting down the stretch they look to need more there.

I've seen Sheahan at his best, so I'm going to be quite patient because I know how he looks when he's confident. I did admit after the trade that guys who lose their confidence may never be the same player again, unfortunately.

Reaves looks like the guy I saw with the Blues. Happy with his game, but if he sister some games, no biggie.

Kuhn, don't get me started.

Hagelin, I don't know what to say TBTH...

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
They were fine. Not great not bad. I'm still assuming these line combos (and Hagelin being scratched) are a short term message, because we all know they're not sticking. Otherwise I just don't see the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad