Post-Game Talk: Penguins 3, Capitals 1 - Blood, Sweat, Tears, and Guts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
No certainties, but he has a much better pedigree than Simon so that doesn't correlate. Would he be Jake or better, maybe. It would have been fun to find out though.
But when both were up here earlier in the year, Simon absolutely was playing better NHL hockey. Then ZAR came in and played well. That was the deciding factor. Pedigree has nothing to do with it. Sully saw them all play in the NHL and picked the two he thought played the best hockey. You can agree or disagree on that decision, but I think that's pretty clearly how it played out.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Sprong has a better shot....also the Caps and particularly Holtby haven’t seen him, studied him...with his quick release and their lack of prep on him, he has a better chance of getting one in than Schultz or Letang from the left half wall position....
He is also probably more likely to make a costly mistake. I'm not saying it's a terrible idea or anything, but it's not some slam dunk we have to do this idea either. Kris Letang and Justin Schultz are VERY good hockey players. The idea that Sprong is clearly better than them in that spot is just silly to me. Could he be? Sure.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
They really need to try Sprong in Phil’s spot on the PP...even if they don’t play Sprong at all at ES, he can be Phil on the left side...that’s his spot, he’s an excellent shooter and he’d be a threat that Phil isn’t anymore...the Caps know it and they’re not even bothering to pressure Phil anymore...he’s a liability out there, not just on the PP but he can be hid on the fourth line if Sully wants to play him....
I'd love to see Sprong get a chance there, but that ain't happenin'. Dude's shot could be hugely beneficial to adding scoring depth, even if we play him on the 3rd line.

yep. Either make the easy pass back to Schultz or take the shot.
A decade of frustration watching Letang try to put an uncontested, 15ft pass into Geno's wheelhouse tells me there is no easy pass for Kris Letang.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
A decade of frustration watching Letang try to put an uncontested, 15ft pass into Geno's wheelhouse tells me there is no easy pass for Kris Letang.
he still makes more of them than any of the other RHS we have on the roster, aside from maybe Schultz. I think Letang would do better in a less QB role there too. Tell him to get the puck and make a move right away, don't hang on to it.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
But when both were up here earlier in the year, Simon absolutely was playing better NHL hockey. Then ZAR came in and played well. That was the deciding factor. Pedigree has nothing to do with it. Sully saw them all play in the NHL and picked the two he thought played the best hockey. You can agree or disagree on that decision, but I think that's pretty clearly how it played out.

I think your defending the indefensible because Sully got you two cups. I'm just a little more critical when it comes to coaching. In my world, you don't get a pass based on past success. Each year you should be judged solely on it's own merit.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think your defending the indefensible because Sully got you two cups. I'm just a little more critical when it comes to coaching. In my world, you don't get a pass based on past success. Each year you should be judged solely on it's own merit.
No, I think Simon and ZAR played better NHL hockey than Sprong in their chances with the big team this year.

Reactions: UnrealMachine

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
he still makes more of them than any of the other RHS we have on the roster, aside from maybe Schultz. I think Letang would do better in a less QB role there too. Tell him to get the puck and make a move right away, don't hang on to it.
For sure. Do not make Letang think, that's when things get f***ed up. Make quick plays on instinct and athleticism.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I mostly defend Letang on most things but yeah... dude can't put a puck in Geno's wheelhouse more than 1/20 times. Everyone wonders why Malkin doesn't hammer one-timers as much, anymore. It's because he doesn't have a guy like Gonchar setting the table for him like he did early in his career.

And I appreciate outside-the-box thinking as much as anyone but lol -- Voynov.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Yet somehow he led the regular season in powerplay time as a D for the best powerplay in Penguins history.
There's my boy. The Letang signal must've went off. :laugh:

For all my endless criticism of Letang, you can't really take offense to my calling him out for the inability to put a pass into Geno's wheelhouse. You just can't. That's fact. He sucks at that, downright sucks.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

The series is 2 - 2 and we missed Malkin for two games.

Your Sprong agenda is tired and boring.

Sullivan has talked up Sprong twice. Simon’s performance last night just sealed the fact he likely won’t come in for anyone but Sheary.

Which I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if that happens.

Reactions: turtle27

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Love Sprong but give it a rest. The guy had his chance to enter the line up and never look back like Jake did last year. He didn't grab that opportunity as well as he should have. I like his game but there is a lot of stuff the coaches do not. He wasn't just being benched in the NHL he had his spurts in the AHL, too.

I think he's on the cusp of being a player Sully wants to use. That's a good spot. But it's time to let it go and see where he is next season. We will not win or lose based on Daniel Sprong. That's for sure.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
He is also probably more likely to make a costly mistake. I'm not saying it's a terrible idea or anything, but it's not some slam dunk we have to do this idea either. Kris Letang and Justin Schultz are VERY good hockey players. The idea that Sprong is clearly better than them in that spot is just silly to me. Could he be? Sure.

Like Phil hasn’t been making costly mistakes ....or Letang? Give the kid a shot...he’s not “clearly better” but that’s his spot...he’s been bombing from there all year....successfully.....give him a chance....where would this team have been the last two years if they hadn’t given young guys a chance?

imouttahereEdWinger

Jan 22, 2014
Is just ****ing hilarious, the league is such a ****ing joke. How do you not criticize the refs in that whole thing? They literally didn't penalize the player that got suspended for what the refs blatantly missed and ****ed up on. Great job, policing the ice and keeping the players safe, you zebra'd pieces of ****.

They don't want to affect the outcome of the game by preventing players from getting their skulls broken. Why can't you just let them play? Jeez.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I mean, it’s asisine to act like Letang is bad on the powerplay. He’s one of the best powerplay D in terms of production year in and out and Schultz proved that it isn’t simply because you can produce on this powerplay after not scoring a goal in 67 games on the PP.
Phil, I'd argue, was the key to our power play when it was at its absolute best this season. Then there are guys named Sidney and Evgeni that are also pretty instrumental in its success. And some dude named Hornqvist, whose absence sees the power play effectiveness literally halved from dominant and best in the league to near the bottom of the pack.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
No, I think Simon and ZAR played better NHL hockey than Sprong in their chances with the big team this year.

SO you typically make your mind up about a young player in 8 games? I should also note that Sid looked at his best in those 8 when paired with Sprong and that Sprong single handily helped us win one out of those 8 games.

Again, you are making excuses for Sully. When it's all said and done the reality will have been that he never played his best possible lineup these playoffs. To me, that is inexcusable. There are so many things outside of Sully's control, but the lineup is one damn thing he has say over so he better get it right. Step 1 is fail, I really don't care about how good he is at the rest of the steps.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
You know that meme with Wolverine laying in bed and lovingly caressing a photo and then you can photoshop in a picture of something to make it all ridiculous and meme-y?

That's me and the photo is Gonchar at the point of the PP.

I don’t think Letang or Schultz has anything to do with our PP’s issues.

The main issue is that Malkin, Kessel and Crosby too often try to find seams and pretty plays rather than simply just putting the puck in position to get it on net to Hornqvist.

The one time they did it last night, we score.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Love Sprong but give it a rest. The guy had his chance to enter the line up and never look back like Jake did last year. He didn't grab that opportunity as well as he should have. I like his game but there is a lot of stuff the coaches do not. He wasn't just being benched in the NHL he had his spurts in the AHL, too.

I think he's on the cusp of being a player Sully wants to use. That's a good spot. But it's time to let it go and see where he is next season. We will not win or lose based on Daniel Sprong. That's for sure.

So you don't think there is any substance to my drawing a correlation with Jake??? Answer that direct point since that was topic of my original post.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa

The problem is every thought going through Tanger's head has to first pass through two of those cymbal clanging monkeys and then find its way through that endless void of air to his actual brain... so instantaneous to him is probably more like 10 seconds to us... unless its a stupid decision... those whiz right through (LOL)

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
You know that meme with Wolverine laying in bed and lovingly caressing a photo and then you can photoshop in a picture of something to make it all ridiculous and meme-y?

That's me and the photo is Gonchar at the point of the PP.

Yeah... man... you don't miss your water til your well runs dry and all that.

I always loved Gonchar (sans first year) as a Penguin but I guess I never COMPLETELY appreciate what a magician he was on the point. My goodness. Honestly it isn't even fair to compare Letang to him. Though... uh... he COULD be a lot better when it comes to setting up the shot.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Phil, I'd argue, was the key to our power play when it was at its absolute best this season. Then there are guys named Sidney and Evgeni that are also pretty instrumental in its success. And some dude named Hornqvist, whose absence sees the power play effectiveness literally halved from dominant and best in the league to near the bottom of the pack.

Cool. Letang’s average powerplay points per game is consistent throughout his career before Hornqvist or Kessel played here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad