Post-Game Talk: Penguins 3, Capitals 1 - Blood, Sweat, Tears, and Guts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don’t know if I agree that Sully won’t play him.

His message and putting Sprong in warm-ups makes me believe he is saving him as a morale booster if the series gets 3 - 2 or something.

Sort of like how they held Malkin back after going up 1-0. Or Hornqvist in the Philly series. These guys are obviously so beat they need little things to rally around. I could very easily see Sully sit Sheary for Sprong with his usage the last couple games.

Oh, I think for sure he doesn’t trust Sprong and doesn’t want to play him...we’ll see...we won a huge game 4 and that has just led us to an even bigger game 5....we take absolute control of this series if we can win tomorrow....yet we have more passengers due to injury than any 747....Phil is actively hurting the team...Rust, Brass, Sheary do nothing...Sheahan, Kuhn and Simon can’t pot goals...if not now, when? No point in saving him....I don’t think Sully is....he has no interest in playing despite the fact that half the forwards are playing at 50%....

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
He's been disappointing. But I at least mostly agree.

I know many will take issue but I really wouldn't mind seeing him on the wing if for no other reason than to get him some decent linemates.

Then the problem is that one of Jooris or Rowney is in as 4C. We've got plenty of real wings (assuming no more injuries) that I'd rather not take that route.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Oh, I think for sure he doesn’t trust Sprong and doesn’t want to play him...we’ll see...we won a huge game 4 and that has just led us to an even bigger game 5....we take absolute control of this series if we can win tomorrow....yet we have more passengers due to injury than any 747....Phil is actively hurting the team...Rust, Brass, Sheary do nothing...Sheahan, Kuhn and Simon can’t pot goals...if not now, when? No point in saving him....I don’t think Sully is....he has no interest in playing despite the fact that half the forwards are playing at 50%....

Does Sullivan strike you as the type of coach that pays lip service to a player?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
And got sent down to the AHL and was forced onto the third line when he was called up again.
that happens when you're the guy who doesn't have to worry about waivers. And it's not like the 3rd line has been a black hole for this team. But yeah, even Jake didn't immediately get locked in to a big team spot.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
images

Like Humpty Dumpty, he needs to take another great fall....

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Perhaps the craziest part in all this is that Niskanen pushes Holtby's blocker back to reveal the puck then fans on the clearing attempt.

I am shocked that no one commented on this clear proof that Hornqvist tomahawked Holtby breaking his hand and then dove on top of him beating Holtby's head on the ice.

Reactions: NewAgeOutlaw

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
And got sent down to the AHL and was forced onto the third line when he was called up again.
This is important to remember. Jake had the same handful of games up before being sent down to work on his game. Though I don't think the result is going to be the same. Sprong's a Kessel--purely offensive player that you're just gonna have to take the bad with the good. You put him with a defensive winger like Rust or Hagelin and let the speed and skill come. Jake was always more well rounded, and had a background playing center which is a more responsible position anyway.

I think, in order to get the most out of Sprong, we're just gonna have to accept that he is the type of player he is and put him in the best position to succeed. He's going to have to be allowed to play through inevitable growing pains, and find a level of comfort and confidence to allow Sprong to reach his potential. He's never gonna be Marian Hossa, but that's not a bad thing. He can still prove to be a very useful, effective and productive player. If his all-around game rounds out, so be it, awesome. If not, then you have a guy with as good as shot and predatory offensive instincts as we've seen from a prospect in a long, long time--and that includes Jake.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Then the problem is that one of Jooris or Rowney is in as 4C. We've got plenty of real wings (assuming no more injuries) that I'd rather not take that route.

Eh... I dunno. Our wings seem pretty decimated and/or vastly underperforming. I'm just trying to think of ways to get Brass in the game more. As has already been stated... unless he's severely injured still (possible) 11 minutes a night isn't doing him much of a service.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008

I am shocked that no one commented on this clear proof that Hornqvist tomahawked Holtby breaking his hand and then dove on top of him beating Holtby's head on the ice.

I laughed when Holtby went through his description of the play. Hornqvist tried to dig out an uncovered puck and got tackled beside/behind the net for it, and over the course of several seconds after Geno had his opportunity and ultimately put the puck home. Hornqvist's role was over and done with in the blink of an eye, but he's Hornqvist so he's perpetually in the minds of opposing goalies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Lets hope the Capitals don't figure out that they should put Vrana on the top line instead of trying to punch the puck into the net with whoever their goon-du-jour is.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Think of it this way- if he had great footspeed he'd be making Letang money (i.e, probably not with Pittsburgh)

Doubtful. He played 20 games in the season before he signed and he was an RFA

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Hmm. From the McCurdy charts, kinda wondering why you wouldn't put HMH (His Malkinesque Highness) against Ovie and chums and GCWhocares against Backstrom, as albeit in small samples both did well, but Malkin's line didn't do awesome vs Backstrom, and why you wouldn't split up Sheary-Sheahan-Kessel in favour of, well, anything else. Just one game of course.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Great win. They really battled. This is going 7.

OT here: but 18 years ago tonight was the 5 OT marathon vs Philly. Sure, Pens lost the game & series. But, it's still memorable. Had they won that series, I wonder how the Pens would've done vs the Devils in the ECF....

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Hmm. From the McCurdy charts, kinda wondering why you wouldn't put HMH (His Malkinesque Highness) against Ovie and chums and GCWhocares against Backstrom, as albeit in small samples both did well, but Malkin's line didn't do awesome vs Backstrom, and why you wouldn't split up Sheary-Sheahan-Kessel in favour of, well, anything else. Just one game of course.

Because G - C has toasted that first line and Trotz is trying to get Backstrom out their against them.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Vrana was bad last night. He f’d up their powerplay multiple times.

Nobody was great offensively for them last game. But I don't disagree.

Still... that top line was garbo. Smith-Pelly isn't a useless player. He's just out of his depth there and not a realistic substitute for Wilson.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Brass and Kessel are hurt big time. Probably wise to just have them buried on the 4th line where they can do the least amount of damage

Rust-Sheahan - Kuhn line is pretty good, seems like they've got something going.

Back to Kessel- at this point he's worthless and I love the dude. But Carter Rowney is more effective right at this moment. The simple solution is to sit Kessel for at least a game and see if rest helps a little bit. When is the last time you saw a guy of Kessel's pedigree completely fan on a shot which no one was around him? He did that on the PP last night and that was it for me. He's literally doing less than nothing.

This would be the ideal place for Sprong to come up: get some lively legs, get a guy who shoots and some energy. He replaces all of what Kessel brings

Wasn’t it Rust-Brassard-Kuhnhackl? Thought Sheahan played with Sheary and Phil.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Great win. They really battled. This is going 7.

OT here: but 18 years ago tonight was the 5 OT marathon vs Philly. Sure, Pens lost the game & series. But, it's still memorable. Had they won that series, I wonder how the Pens would've done vs the Devils in the ECF....

My dad and I drove from Philly to State College where we lived that night, listened to the game on the radio the whole ride got home and still watched like another 3 hours.

Reactions: Ogrezilla
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad