Salary Cap: Penguins 2013-14 cap/roster building discussion (Contract chart in Post #2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Aka start cleaning up Shero's mistakes.

If we don't sign Goc and Stempniak, we are in in trouble again. Our bottom six is a ****ing joke.

We need to make more than 3 moves. What about Fleury? Who plays with Sid? Who will play LW with Geno? Who will take over for Goc and Stempniak? AND SO ON

Whatever the prudent thing to do would be, Shero will undoubtedly do the opposite.

What about him? We haven't been losing games because of him.

lasttimeichecked16

Jun 19, 2013
Letang for Skinner could happen. Rumor is the Skinner is being shopped. Not enough for Kane. I don't know if we have the pieces to get Kane, as played out as that sounds. I don't think that package could return a top flight winger either TBH. Plus I'd prefer to keep the players from that package just due to how little cap they'd take up.

Not sure why a team would be shopping it's best player. Ron Francis has said repeatedly that he wants Skinner in more of a leadership role next season.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I don't know if I would be interested in Skinner...dude, while good, has taken A LOT of heavy hits. Worries me.

If we are trading Letang...I really, really, REALLY want there to be an offer with Colorado concerning ROR. That guy would be absolutely money here.

PensFreak

Jun 5, 2007
Only untouchables should be Crosby, Malkin, Maatta, Letang should be the only untouchables. Bylsma and Shero should be gone. Adams, Glass, Orpik, have all hopefully played their last games in a Penguins uniform. Niskanen, Jokinen... if the price is right, keep. But I'm not sure about that either.

It kills me that the Pens have zero young forwards that have any possibility of stepping in at a high level next season. How can the Pens possibly fill the glaring holes that they have on the top two lines?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Maybe not this round. It appears that you've forgotten about 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013.

Pretty sure we won the cup there with MAF being a key part of it...:shakehead And if by 2009 you're referring to the 09/10 season, then the 07 would be the 07/08 season when he was stellar and took the team to the cup finals. The hate is just plain stupid. :shakehead

Unless you're just looking at the stat line, in which case I shouldn't even bother wasting my time.

2011 while not great, we were not going to do anything anyway without Crosby and Malkin. He was brutal in 10, 12 and 13 (what few games he played) - there's absolutely no defending him those years. But people are making it seem like he's the issue. He wasn't tonight (or this series) and he had nothing to do with Pittsburgh sucking ass against Boston last year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The free agent crop this year is not much to right home about, any interesting trade candidates?

I really thought you guys should've grabbed Hemsky from the Oilers at the deadline for peanuts.

Is the perfect fit? No, but sometimes you really need that skill on the wings to compliment guys like Crosby and Malkin and I think it's one thing that Pittsburgh's lacked. I was kinda surprised that they went for a guy like Stempniak (not a bad player mind you, just kinda seemed redundant to me) instead.

You don't need a superstar on the wing when you have that kind of center strength, but once in a while you need someone who can carry the puck and break down the defence on his own, it's too easy IMO to key in on Crosby and force him to pass the puck off.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Crosby needs a winger and we need a physical 3rd liner with out subtracting from our current forwards we have signed. Clear the space in the defense.

It won't be easy but that's what this team needs.

necessaryroughness

Jun 1, 2008
New Jersey
I really thought you guys should've grabbed Hemsky from the Oilers at the deadline for peanuts.

Is the perfect fit? No, but sometimes you really need that skill on the wings to compliment guys like Crosby and Malkin and I think it's one thing that Pittsburgh's lacked. I was kinda surprised that they went for a guy like Stempniak (not a bad player mind you, just kinda seemed redundant to me) instead.

You don't need a superstar on the wing when you have that kind of center strength, but once in a while you need someone who can carry the puck and break down the defence on his own, it's too easy IMO to key in on Crosby and force him to pass the puck off.

Agreed, but if he had an opportunity and passed I can't kill the guy on it, hemsky's had documented health issues but look at his production regardless for a 1-way player not all that great.....lot of skill but not a lot of production.

Feb 16, 2009
Yeah i can't see it happening, even if the pens wanted to trade Geno he might not waive his NTC, Geno also helps sell tickets, so it also wouldn't be a good business move.

Not to mention he may he the best player in the game today. Trading Malkin is a real bad idea. I'd give Letang a year to recover from his stroke before I give up on him. People seem real eager to give away really good players.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Not to mention he may he the best player in the game today. Trading Malkin is a real bad idea. I'd give Letang a year to recover from his stroke before I give up on him. People seem real eager to give away really good players.

Letang deserves a chance with a new coach.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
I would keep the following for next season:

Kunitz Crosby Dupuis
Bennett Malkin Neal
______ Goc _______
______ _____ _______

Pens clearly need a better, gritter bottom 6. More Cookes and Boyles, less Adams. Honestly I don't really care if they bring back Sutter or not, but he may have some trade value. Glass Vitale and Adams all suck, and do not make a serviceable 4th line.

Letang Martin
Maatta _____
Despres Bortuzzo
Engo

Orpik walks
Niskanen too pricey to re-sign
Scuderi sent to Mars

______
Zatkoff

Realistically, I don't see them getting rid of Fleury, however, he represents all their recent playoff failures. Hiller may be available...

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I honestly believe Neal is gone. I think he wil be traded for a player like Evander Kane or for a package.

And if a new GM comes in then Letang is gone.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I would keep the following for next season:

Kunitz Crosby Dupuis
Bennett Malkin Neal
______ Goc _______
______ _____ _______

Pens clearly need a better, gritter bottom 6. More Cookes and Boyles, less Adams. Honestly I don't really care if they bring back Sutter or not, but he may have some trade value. Glass Vitale and Adams all suck, and do not make a serviceable 4th line.

Letang Martin
Maatta _____
Despres Bortuzzo
Engo

Orpik walks
Niskanen too pricey to re-sign
Scuderi sent to Mars

______
Zatkoff

Realistically, I don't see them getting rid of Fleury, however, he represents all their recent playoff failures. Hiller may be available...

This has to be a joke :laugh:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
He does. If we can get Sid an elite winger, do it. But nothing short of elite. It's silly to move him at his lowest value considering what he can be at his best.

I don't doubt Letang will bring back a King's Ransom, injuries/poor play accounted for.

In my opinion, even at his best, Letang isn't going to be the make or break in this team's Cup chances. Crosby's wingers and the depth at forward is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad