Post-Game Talk: Penguins 2, Wild 1 - Rust Says Suck It @ColePens

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Love how in time I could count on my watch I was telling posters around here Rust was not a major problem on this team. But several people were throwing him to the wolves. Now... I didn’t expect him to go on a rip like this, but it just shows how you need patience when it comes to this game. He will cool down again. He is a streaky player, like a lot of Pens. But patience in this game is key.

He was putrid for more than a quarter of the season and got bumped up in the lineup. He WAS a problem and for the last 8 games hasn't been.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
We can take the Sabres. Dahlin is a facade. Left wing lock.

Hey I just checked. Debbies dead last and 10 points out of WC2. Technically anyone can go on a streak either way to get in o out of the post season... Mtl really is a non factor at this point. They are there, but so is everyone else.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Rust was garbage for weeeeeeeks. Calling him garbage and being frustrated with him doesn’t mean you hate him. It’s okay to factually say someone was playing poorly. In fact, if people hated Rust, they probably wouldn’t have been frustrated that he wasn’t doing better, because they wouldn’t expect it.

Like, I dunno, ZAR. People aren’t expecting anything but his benching...

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Rust was garbage for weeeeeeeks. Calling him garbage and being frustrated with him doesn’t mean you hate him. It’s okay to factually say someone was playing poorly. In fact, if people hated Rust, they probably wouldn’t have been frustrated that he wasn’t doing better, because they wouldn’t expect it.

It's really annoying to have logical posts around here.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

On the ZAR topic. I kind of liked him a lot tonight. He actually looked reasonably effective going up against fourth line talent.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I don’t even think he was streak. For the first 10-15 games he was unlucky and then for ten our whole team blew.

Obviously it is bizarre he is clicking on the first line, but whatever faux Malkin -Hornqvist chemistry got us in the playoffs last year.
He is a streaky player and I love what he is doing right now, I don’t expect this over the rest of the season. Nor did I expect his ice coldness to last ether. I just love how and 8th of the season and past quite a few wanted him strung up and traded. Now everyone is praising him. All in all I’m just saying patience is required for a lot of players and simply overall in this game. It’s 82 games and it’s a rollercoaster.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
It's time for Maatta to move on. Maybe go back to his acting career?

Td1HRmE.jpg

Reactions: ColePens

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
He is a streaky player and I love what he is doing right now, I don’t expect this over the rest of the season. Nor did I expect his ice coldness to last ether. I just love how and 8th of the season and past quite a few wanted him strung up and traded. Now everyone is praising him. All in all I’m just saying patience is required for a lot of players and simply overall in this game. It’s 82 games and it’s a rollercoaster.

Yes, hello, welcome to the internet and the dark, confusing subset known as HFPens.

This should help you understand this place and how we feel about players:

T7Ip.gif

Reactions: Lustaf

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
The thing is, even when Rust “sucks”, he brings a lot of entangables to the table. He has value no matter what, but when clicking, he is Rustacular!

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
The thing is, even when Rust “sucks”, he brings a lot of entangables to the table. He has value no matter what, but when clicking, he is Rustacular!

Better than Toews.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Nah, according to sully he said Rust has been doing things 'beyond the numbers' and the pucks jus thaven't been going in. Now they are and so ... well obviously... points up.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Rust scores in bunches, he's scored 15 and 13 goals before, but he's always been on the cusp of showing more consistency. His ice cold streak isn't uncommon for a lot of players that sign a new contract.

The effort was there.

He was still playing ok 2-way hockey, he's known for being better than ok there.
He was still shooting, although he was gripping his stick a little too tightly as you can see with his release now, it's more fluid again, whereas before it was more of a rigid forced shot.

Rust is always a solid clutch guy, but when you're struggling, then getting moved up and down to find a spot that works for you, it just puts added pressure on the guy.

I know I am an epic Rust and Hornqvist homer, I will never say a bad thing about the two as I think they are heart and soul players that this team needs more of. But I can understand why people were frustrated with him. My frustration was different, I mostly just wanted him gone so he was on a team that let him build something with one line and not be shafted up and down the roster so much, that infuriated me a ton, still does.

The only guy I am now on the fence about us needing to keep or moving is Kessel. I'm getting closer to join the group that feels we should move him. If we can get back a stud top 6 winger prospect (like Tolvanen) and another forward/defenseman and pick, I probably do it to get better depth throughout, maybe a better fit. I do look at moving Kessel purely to find a young winger for Malkin.

IF I ever joined that group.

Harvey Birdman

Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
There are a few parts to this, but the one you got massively wrong is acting like Rust was just fine all season. I guarantee you #17 himself would be very candid and admit his play was unacceptable through 15-20 games this season. So to ignore that is just absolutely ridiculous.

Now the other part you are 1 trillion percent correct and that is the lack of patience shown by a small group that seems to be the most vocal. The ones whining about wanting to be tough. The ones whining that Murray is "barely good". The ones who want to trade everyone when they have 1 bad game. Yes... those people are asinine. Dumo struggled to begin this season almost identical to Rust. He was brutal. But you give those guys time. They are human. It would take a full year of Rust playing like how he did in the first 15 games to actually want me to move him.

Bottom line - guys will slump. When they do, it's okay to analyze their play. And those guys are probably harder on themselves than the majority here.
Cole, do not get me wrong. I am not saying Rust was playing well. I’m simply amused by some around here that simply wanted to throw a player to the wolves because they were in an ice cold slump. You can criticize a player going through that, but to pull out the pitch forks storming the castle for a few weeks then turn around and be hoisting the same player on your shoulders screams of hypocrisy. I made several posts weeks ago saying Rust wasn’t playing well but to pump the brakes and wait, and as I just said I did not expect this kind of run of goals, and do not expect It at all to be sustainable. But I am one to call out those that hold pitch forks one week then deliver high fives the next.

Reactions: ColePens

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Cole, do not get me wrong. I am not saying Rust was playing well. I’m simply amused by some around here that simply wanted to throw a player to the wolves because they were in an ice cold slump. You can criticize a player going through that, but to pull out the pitch forks storming the castle for a few weeks then turn around and be hoisting the same player on your shoulders screams of hypocrisy. I made several posts weeks ago saying Rust wasn’t playing well but to pump the brakes and wait, and as I just said I did not expect this kind of run of goals, and do not expect It at all to be sustainable. But I am one to call out those that hold pitch forks one week then deliver high fives the next.

Are you referring to Rust or to Letang circa 8 months ago??? No one on these boards has caught more flack that is less deserving than #58. Fact

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
The thing is, he wasn't bringing those "intangibles" to the table. He really sucked with and away from the puck. If he still was providing solid forecheck/backcheck + board battles, I think there wouldn't be much complains about him not scoring. But he went ghosting and was providing almost nothing.

Harvey Birdman

Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Rust scores in bunches, he's scored 15 and 13 goals before, but he's always been on the cusp of showing more consistency. His ice cold streak isn't uncommon for a lot of players that sign a new contract.

The effort was there.

He was still playing ok 2-way hockey, he's known for being better than ok there.
He was still shooting, although he was gripping his stick a little too tightly as you can see with his release now, it's more fluid again, whereas before it was more of a rigid forced shot.

Rust is always a solid clutch guy, but when you're struggling, then getting moved up and down to find a spot that works for you, it just puts added pressure on the guy.

I know I am an epic Rust and Hornqvist homer, I will never say a bad thing about the two as I think they are heart and soul players that this team needs more of. But I can understand why people were frustrated with him. My frustration was different, I mostly just wanted him gone so he was on a team that let him build something with one line and not be shafted up and down the roster so much, that infuriated me a ton, still does.

The only guy I am now on the fence about us needing to keep or moving is Kessel. I'm getting closer to join the group that feels we should move him. If we can get back a stud top 6 winger prospect (like Tolvanen) and another forward/defenseman and pick, I probably do it to get better depth throughout, maybe a better fit. I do look at moving Kessel purely to find a young winger for Malkin.

IF I ever joined that group.
I’m not a die hard Rust guy, but you at least see It the same as me in a lot of ways. So we are preaching to the choir a bit on each other. I never expect consistency out of Rust, only his end season total and some clutch plays, It would be nice to see the consistency though... but I’m not holding my breath.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad