Post-Game Talk: Penguins 2, Wild 1 - Rust Says Suck It @ColePens

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Only bad news is that CLB won, and Philly has a goaltender or maybe some defense..,and we now just need Vegas to outshine the Isles...

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Thats a gutsy back to back effort by most of the guys tonight.
Particularly L1, the D minus Olli and CDS.
Cullen, Sheahan were pretty ok too.
Just gotta hope with the full compliment of F's now, they can move some pieces around to get 2-3, all 4 lines goin'.

JJ was really good tonight in his own end. Just dominating physically down low vs MIN's F's.
When he keeps it simple, he can be effective in his own zone.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hard times for Rust haters.

This is a serious question... who actually hates Rust? Rust, himself, would tell anyone that he disappointed himself and the team early in the season. I bet you Rust was harder on himself than any fan here. I would even bet you there were some sleepless nights when it got a tad cold for the Pens.

Maybe 1 or 2 of the usual suspect posters actually wanted him traded or something stupid but it's 1 or 2 of hundreds of Pens fans that post here. So I ask again - who really hates Rusty? He's seriously one of the most likable guys the team has ever had.

@KIRK - you promised no trolling.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
One consistent NHL pairing. Geno's game in the crapper. A 3rd line that needs sorted. Until recently spotty goaltending.

And now 7th in the conference.

If JR adds the right guy on the blueline and Geno snaps out of it/gets into a groove with 2 wingers and they get the 3rd line sorted, I won't say this team is a top contender, but I'm not sure I'd be anxious to face it if I were another team.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Only bad news is that CLB won, and Philly has a goaltender or maybe some defense..,and we now just need Vegas to outshine the Isles...
CBJ is good man. Breadman is foolish for not signing there. OR he can come here! Heyyyyy

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Rust will have another 4-6 goals in the next 8-10 and then he won't score again until the playoffs, in which he'll score at a 30 goal pace for the duration. Enigmatic player, but I've always been a fan.

It is also in our benefit that he works with Sid and Jake. If only Phil or Hornqvist could shift to the left side.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I thought that pairing was brutal tonight. Maatta in particular but Riikola did not have a good game.

It was a little rough for Riiko in his own zone tonight. I did see that as well but still lots of good stuff with the puck on his stick/gaps, etc.

Reactions: KIRK

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Fantastic that Rust has broken out of his horrific start. And with Crosby, yet.

Malkin was an adventure.

CDS solid once again. He's a battler.

The difference between pre-injury Cullen and post-injury Cullen is considerable.

Riikola should not sit again any time soon.

Maatta is making everyone wonder just how long the grace period is for a player who's overcome cancer.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This is a serious question... who actually hates Rust? Rust, himself, would tell anyone that he disappointed himself and the team early in the season. I bet you Rust was harder on himself than any fan here. I would even bet you there were some sleepless nights when it got a tad cold for the Pens.

Maybe 1 or 2 of the usual suspect posters actually wanted him traded or something stupid but it's 1 or 2 of hundreds of Pens fans that post here. So I ask again - who really hates Rusty? He's seriously one of the most likable guys the team has ever had.

@KIRK - you promised no trolling.

giphy.gif

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I thought that pairing was brutal tonight. Maatta in particular but Riikola did not have a good game.
I hope he gets games to play through it. It can't be easy to be thrown in after so much time between games.

Maatta has no excuse though. He just sucks ass. I didn't even need to see the other 40 of this game to know he was likely ass tonight.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It was a little rough for Riiko in his own zone tonight. I did see that as well but still lots of good stuff with the puck on his stick/gaps, etc.
I agree I don't think he was sharp in the D zone, got caught out of position a couple times. Now Granted OM put him in precarious situations but I did not like his game tonight.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Well Rust has most definitely shut me up. No doubt the guy has skill and finish, maybe a lot of it untapped.

I do wonder if it a question of motivation for Rust. Maybe he gets too complacent and doesn't push himself enough.

Earlier this season he only showed his game in spurts. But once the backlash grew to an epic proportion, he started having good games before he started scoring. Maybe Sully doesn't know how to push players as well.

I still wish we had Surly Sniper though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad