Post-Game Talk: Penguins 2, Coyotes 0 - The Joose Is Strong With This One

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This is my local store

images
Oh you're out that way, probably at that t-mills food court often, huh?

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I didn't think we were as sharp as we were on wednesday. We were slower to pucks and didn't execute well when we had quality chances. The ice looked a bit choppy. Thankfully Jarry played stellar in net.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I don't know what that means but it's got me PUMPED
lol
I'm starting to feel old with all these analyticals flying around.
I don't care for 'em one bit. Some are nice, but it gets ridiculous after awhile.

It's like fans of other sports that are way over the top with analytics became hockey fans and brought with them the slog of the numbers games. Analytics base word is anal for a reason.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Malkin's 5on5 HDCF% is by far highest of his career

Even without Jake I don't think that changes much if Sullivan does the smart thing and puts another competent player (not ZAR or Simon) on Geno's line when Sid comes back. Geno and Rust are the fearsome twosome. Jake doesn't provide a lot for them.

The team is better served with Jake/Sid, Geno/Rust components, than leaving 1 of the centers on an island imo.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
lol
I don't care for 'em one bit. Some are nice, but it gets ridiculous after awhile.

It's like fans of other sports that are way over the top with analytics became hockey fans and brought with them the slog of the numbers games. Analytics base word is anal for a reason.
As an older fan, they're not bad...and will usually make sense IF you watch the games as well. Sometimes posters on this forum don't though.

I don't need anyone to tell me that ZAR is awesome defensively. I've watched enough games to know that his linemates carry him defensively. I also know that Simon is in the same boat. But people on here who don't watch the games will argue that what I'm saying is a lie, because the stats prove otherwise.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
lol

YES......

And even worse, a lot of the numbers used are interpretive.

Reactions: shoplifter

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I don't know what that means but it's got me PUMPED

The team is getting 2 high danger chances to our oppositions 1 high danger chance when he is on the ice.

That’s crazy good and should be leading to us out score the opposition significantly when he’s on the ice 5v5

Just checked and it’s 20 goals for and 11 against so the chances are almost identical to the actual goals.
McCann is team best in differential with 23 for and 11 against

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
The team is getting 2 high danger chances to our oppositions 1 high danger chance when he is on the ice.

That’s crazy good and should be leading to us out score the opposition significantly when he’s on the ice 5v5

Just checked and it’s 20 goals for and 11 against so the chances are almost identical to the actual goals.
McCann is team best in differential with 23 for and 11 against

That furthers my hope that McCann sticks as 3C. I think he'd be huge in that role come playoff time.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Great performance by Jarry. Back to back shutouts certainly helps his case for keeping the net.

Not too happy that the team that played last night seemed to be more cohesive/better too often. Can't complain too much given the win, but it would have been nice to take advantage of a tired team on the second night of a road trip.

XanderCrews34

Mar 28, 2014
Advanced analytics only represent an attempt to measure “process” rather than focusing exclusively on “results”.

In the end, does it matter if a player generates tons of scoring chances if he can’t figure out how to score? Probably not.

What it really helps is identifying players whose production is likely repeatable or the result of just good/bad luck.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Even without Jake I don't think that changes much if Sullivan does the smart thing and puts another competent player (not ZAR or Simon) on Geno's line when Sid comes back. Geno and Rust are the fearsome twosome. Jake doesn't provide a lot for them.

The team is better served with Jake/Sid, Geno/Rust components, than leaving 1 of the centers on an island imo.

For sure those should be the duos. You know what you will always get with them. Blueger/Tanev as well. Every time they are back together they make something happen. And Teddy without Tanev doesnt do much. Brandon makes him a much better player. Both are dangerous on the PK. And as a pair. Could be a great 4th line, putting Lafferty or even Noesen on other side if he ends up taking advantage lf this opportunity and can add 15+ goals 10+a the rest of the way. We know ZAR wont.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Advanced analytics only represent an attempt to measure “process” rather than focusing exclusively on “results”.

In the end, does it matter if a player generates tons of scoring chances if he can’t figure out how to score? Probably not.

What it really helps is identifying players whose production is likely repeatable or the result of just good/bad luck.

Yup. If i did a poll here of who would you rather have for this year's playoffs....Simon or Noesen? It would be 90% Simon. But give me Noesen as one of our RW's. Either on 4th line with Tanev/Blueger...adding a goal scorer for that line. While the other two are constantly making plays, on the forecheck. Noesen would chip in a lot of those rebounds. He looks like he's found his scoring touch, what made him the 21st overall pick in 2012 to begin with.

But with Simon having solid "advanced stats"...yet we can all see the guy cant shoot for shit and it ends up impacting his overall game. Hes doing nothing right, now. Maybe he gets better at finishing eventually, but Im sick of seeing Sully use him on line 1. Ruining Guentzel-Sid/Geno potential point totals. Geno only had 2 games with him and prob lost out on 8 pts lol. Sid had 17 this year. I couldn't stand it.

Yeah hed still get them a few pts once in awhile. But that duo is so good they should be putting up Marchand/Pasta type stats. If you give them a quality RW, thats what we would see. Them leading the league with Avs, Oilers, Bruins top lines.

Hes not good enough for top 6. And even tho his game should fit in bottom 6, he doesnt look good there either.

Id choose Noesen who is 26 and former 1st rounder that has 14g 10a in WBS this year and then scored in his first game up here . Same game that Simon missed on 24 wide open nets.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
As an older fan, they're not bad...and will usually make sense IF you watch the games as well. Sometimes posters on this forum don't though.

I don't need anyone to tell me that ZAR is awesome defensively. I've watched enough games to know that his linemates carry him defensively. I also know that Simon is in the same boat. But people on here who don't watch the games will argue that what I'm saying is a lie, because the stats prove otherwise.
It's the other side of analytics that people ignore, the eye test.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad