Post-Game Talk: Penguins 2, Coyotes 0 - The Joose Is Strong With This One

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
People saying Simon was doing nothing out there needed to watch closer. Almost every shift he was on he broke up Coyotes possession and made it Penguins possession. Didn't always do much with it as he's a bit out of form, but his ability to gain control of the puck still remains and is still a big asset.

Other things I noticed

- Jarry on form is very good

- Pettersson took one of the sanest minor penalties I've ever seen

- The PP frittering away a 5 on 3 ground my gears

- Marino seems to be getting better and better

- Noticed more of McCann when I paid close attention to him and I'm getting more comfortable with him at 3C but holy magoly his perimeter player ways rile me bad. I can see why they gave him Noesen and I'm guessing that once Horny is back, he'll be surgically attached to McCann.

- At some point in the season, I think Schultz is going to go on a scoring spree, and it might surprise some but it won't me as he keeps getting chances

- JJ proved why he still can't be fully trusted in the first but the sight of him charging up ice and making a half decent opportunity was cool.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

dig1

Mar 1, 2015
Lazy Kessel play on the EN leads to a goal to ice the game. Imagine that.
how many games did Penguins lose because of just what you said last year? I can clearly remember at least 3 playoff games that were decided by that let alone in season games.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Come one guys I don't think Malkin's HGH levels are that high.

Really though I do put value in statistical input, I just need to learn more about it.

I agree here, but that takes more time and more work, and I'm really not looking to add more to my workload.

the eye test and basic numbers should give you enough. We don't make the big decisions anyways. Sometimes having so much influx ruins the experience as a fan. I didn't need the analytics to tell me while Simon is good at puck management his blown chances kill most plays due to no finish. That's fine if you're on the 4th line.

Last edited:
Reactions: BillPrep

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
What a nerve-racking game, thankfully with a happy ending. Immense Jarry, of course, but we need to stop allowing so many great chances on the PK. Geno was clutch again and working his ass off all game long. Lafferty had some rough games a few weeks ago but now playing at center he is very visible in a good way. The defense could be better and I still don't get what Sully sees in Ruh but we manage to get points somehow and that's what matters. What a total difference in team character and resilience compared to last season.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Murray must pay for his sins against MAF.

Blood for the Blood God! Smiles for the Smile God!

DVkwN_lVwAI_2uX.jpg

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Blood for the Blood God! Smiles for the Smile God!

DVkwN_lVwAI_2uX.jpg

Didn’t they create an Eat ‘N Park cookie in honor of their idol?

I have no ill will towards MAF, but I find it funny everyone talks about him being so happy! Happy! Smiles and rainbows!

Yet he couldn’t crack a real smile when they won in 2016. Never saw a player openly pout like that after winning a cup.

It was like Antonio Brown level shit and was a really bad look people just gloss over like it never happened.

kodoshin

Mar 26, 2007

I have no ill will towards MAF, but I find it funny everyone talks about him being so happy! Happy! Smiles and rainbows!

Yet he couldn’t crack a real smile when they won in 2016. Never saw a player openly pout like that after winning a cup.

It was like Antonio Brown level **** and was a really bad look people just gloss over like it never happened.

I think that's a bit of a reach. I liked Murray better myself, but I think Fleury was just, as he so often was during his tenure here, in his own head and probably wondering what it meant for his future. Not to mention any feelings he may have had about the significance of his contributions towards that cup. He certainly was more into it the next year.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

It was like Antonio Brown level **** and was a really bad look people just gloss over like it never happened.

He didn't want to take away from those who did put the work in. It didn't stop these two from conversing every break in the action. He should have ran with it when he got the cup, but he isn't responsible for vet rituals, and he didn't want to take away as I said. You are placing pouting in place of feeling uncomfortable being ahead of those who did the work.

kdchnjs.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It really sucks because I've liked Jarry since the Penguins drafted him, but the heinous overreactions to want to tear down Murray or get rid of Murray really makes me want Jarry to come back down to earth. It's just ridiculous, they're heinous overreactions to a super small sample size. The same people saying "they should trade Murray and make Jarry-DeSmith the tandem" are going to be the ones who say "why did they trade Murray?!?!" as Jarry struggles as a full time starter.

Why can't they just keep 2 good goalies, and have a 3rd good goalie in WBS? Why is that a problem?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Obviously incredibly happy for Jarry as he is in the zone. That kick save brought me back to when I was a kid. You don't see those very much any more in that fashion. I still wish he played a quieter game. Murray, when he is on, is like a duck in water. Pucks hit him and he eats them up and his game if very anti-climatic. Jarry got a bit of Flower in him (though not nearly as bad) where pucks hit him and can sometimes pinball off of him. That being said, for the nth game in a row, Jarry's stick handling and puck moving ability made a gigantic difference numerous times. It's a facet of his game I love and I think is necessary.

I know things will heat up shortly about a goalie trade, but I wouldn't trade either of these guys in season unless a deal comes across that is too hard to pass up. Ride them both. I would love to be in that locker room right now to see how the guys are around him. "Don't look at him, don't speak to him, don't touch his stuff, don't wish him well, don't bless him after he sneezes..."

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017

Is this a joke?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He didn't want to take away from those who did put the work in. It didn't stop these two from conversing every break in the action. He should have ran with it when he got the cup, but he isn't responsible for vet rituals, and he didn't want to take away as I said. You are placing pouting in place of feeling uncomfortable being ahead of those who did the work.

kdchnjs.gif

There was definitely some pouting and feeling sorry for himself in there. Zero doubts in my mind.

He was certainly not the first guy ever in that kind of uncomfortable position, but he was the first I had ever seen openly pout like that.

Not the end of the world, but pretty ironic given how he’s known for being Mr Smiles.

Is this a joke?

Why would it be a joke?

Can you tell me of another player that looked that miserable after winning a SC?

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Obviously incredibly happy for Jarry as he is in the zone. That kick save brought me back to when I was a kid. You don't see those very much any more in that fashion. I still wish he played a quieter game. Murray, when he is on, is like a duck in water. Pucks hit him and he eats them up and his game if very anti-climatic. Jarry got a bit of Flower in him (though not nearly as bad) where pucks hit him and can sometimes pinball off of him. That being said, for the nth game in a row, Jarry's stick handling and puck moving ability made a gigantic difference numerous times. It's a facet of his game I love and I think is necessary.

I know things will heat up shortly about a goalie trade, but I wouldn't trade either of these guys in season unless a deal comes across that is too hard to pass up. Ride them both. I would love to be in that locker room right now to see how the guys are around him. "Don't look at him, don't speak to him, don't touch his stuff, don't wish him well, don't bless him after he sneezes..."
This is well put. I actually think that majority of us here are on the same page, who in the world does not want two reliable goalies...I still have better feeling when Murray is in the goal, just because perception of Jarry's frantic style, one thing why I like to see TJ now riding is what you pointed out his puck handling. Having soft defensman as we do, those few precious seconds that TJ get to the puck and distribute allow our dman to avoid forecheck and get the puck moving....that is secret sauce that can really help this team...

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
It really sucks because I've liked Jarry since the Penguins drafted him, but the heinous overreactions to want to tear down Murray or get rid of Murray really makes me want Jarry to come back down to earth. It's just ridiculous, they're heinous overreactions to a super small sample size. The same people saying "they should trade Murray and make Jarry-DeSmith the tandem" are going to be the ones who say "why did they trade Murray?!?!" as Jarry struggles as a full time starter.

Why can't they just keep 2 good goalies, and have a 3rd good goalie in WBS? Why is that a problem?

The ideal scenario is Murray gets signed for cheaper as a result of his bad start, Jarry becomes a legit option and they run a tandem, as most good teams do and as the Penguins essentially won their B2B Cups with.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013

Do you want Murray to be the starter regardless of the outcome this year? Or are you open to the possibility of Jarry being the full time starter next year if he outplays Murray and we run into contract issues?

Obviously it may turn out that Jarry regresses and Murray figures it out. If so I hope it knocks Murray's price down. There's a lot of possibilities that we should be open to. I have no personal connection to either so I look at it from a stand point of what could be best for the team.

Best case to me is trading Murray in the off-season bc Jarry has taken over. We'd save a lot of cap and gain a really good asset. That to me is being optimistic for what's best for the team. Again this season may not play out for this to be possible but wouldn't that be better for us?

Worst case is Jarry falls down and Murray has his ups and downs then we sign him to a long/expensive contract, have to trim from other areas.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Do you want Murray to be the starter regardless of the outcome this year? Or are you open to the possibility of Jarry being the full time starter next year if he outplays Murray and we run into contract issues?

Obviously it may turn out that Jarry regresses and Murray figures it out. If so I hope it knocks Murray's price down. There's a lot of possibilities that we should be open to. I have no personal connection to either so I look at it from a stand point of what could be best for the team.

Best case to me is trading Murray in the off-season bc Jarry has taken over. We'd save a lot of cap and gain a really good asset. That to me is being optimistic for what's best for the team. Again this season may not play out for this to be possible but wouldn't that be better for us?

Worst case is Jarry falls down and Murray has his ups and downs then we sign him to a long/expensive contract, have to trim from other areas.

There is a 0% chance that I'm trading Murray because of "contract issues", because there are not going to run into "contract issues" that force them to trade Murray unless JR does something stupid. And if you think that's the "best case" scenario, I guarantee you're going to be one of the people complaining that they traded Murray when Jarry hits his cold streak, which is inevitable for any goalie.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Here's reality when it comes to trading Murray:

1. Trading Murray because Jarry has been good for 10 starts is at best premature, and at worst stupid as all hell. You have literally no reason to rush to trade Murray if Jarry makes him expendable. If Jarry has like 2 seasons of being legit and the expansion draft comes, that's when you pick Jarry over Murray. Not before you have to make a decision.
2. The Penguins are comfortably below the cap for this year and they do not have any big enough long-term needs to warrant trading Murray. You don't trade Murray so you can get a 4th best top-9 winger or a 3rd line center. Their top-4 D is set for the foreseeable future, their top-6 group is set if McCann plays wing and their top-9 is set outside of Malkin's LW if McCann is playing center.
3. You're putting an immense amount of pressure on Jarry to both stay healthy and continue performing if you trade Murray right now. Do you think the replacements don't notice when popular and successful players are being moved out for them? Do you think Murray didn't have some sort of extra pressure that came from replacing Fleury?

To me, the only way moving Murray makes sense is if he's asking for so much money that you'd be dumb to keep him. That is the sole justification for moving him. You don't need to trade him and you don't need his cap space or assets to fill a massive hole elsewhere on the roster.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
This is well put. I actually think that majority of us here are on the same page, who in the world does not want two reliable goalies...I still have better feeling when Murray is in the goal, just because perception of Jarry's frantic style, one thing why I like to see TJ now riding is what you pointed out his puck handling. Having soft defensman as we do, those few precious seconds that TJ get to the puck and distribute allow our dman to avoid forecheck and get the puck moving....that is secret sauce that can really help this team...

Murray's style definitely inspires more confidence. During the Cup years, I cannot remember a goaltender who was able to demoralize a team like he was capable of - absolutely zero rebounds, he gave shooters nothing to shoot at. It's so frustrating playing against a guy like that. Murray hasn't been in that spot for some time though. He had a good run at the beginning of the year, but it wasn't like he was a couple of years ago.

I love both of our goaltenders. If they could agree to share the net, I'd pay both of them and keep them both around until we are forced to make a choice. If I were forced to pick, it would be hard because it all depends on who is more consistent. I think of all the skills these two have, Jarry's puck moving ability ranges supreme for me. It's a difference maker. I also like how much bulkier Jarry is over Murray.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad