Prospect Info: Penguins #1 Prospect

Who's our #1 Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Probably neither. :laugh: But to play devil's advocate, being excellent in a foreign league doesn't necessarily translate into the NHL, and vice versa. If there's some aspect of his game that the Pens think will work in the NHL/AHL, by all means bring him over. I don't know enough about him to make a judgement one way or the other.

Probably neither is usually a good answer :laugh: But even when it comes to what his game is about, the Finnish fans and Pens staff (and even WBS fans) seem pretty sharply divided. It's weird.

Poulin is not close to being NHL ready from what I have read. Same with Addison. Bjorkqvist is our closest NHL ready prospect IMO.

Him and Lafferty - but I don't think their ceilings are particularly high.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Hallander just had a really good season in the SHL as an 18 yo, he’s my #1 without question.

1) Hallander
2) Poulin
3) Addison
4) POJ
5) Almedia
6) Bjork
7) Bellerive
8) Almari
9) Legare
10) Drozg

HM: D’Orio

Reactions: PAJEN NORDGREN

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Poulin is not close to being NHL ready from what I have read. Same with Addison. Bjorkqvist is our closest NHL ready prospect IMO.

Apart from skating, what other aspects of his game does he need to polish?

I’d assume ~2 years is a reasonable timeframe to expect improved skating if he’s gonna be NHL quality in that regard.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
My top 10 goes something like...

1. Almeida
2. Bjorkqvist
3. Addison
4. Poulin
5. POJ
6. Hallander
7. Legare
8. Lafferty
9. Bellerive
10. Drozg

I really think Almeida is in a tier of his own at #1. Without a doubt he has the most potential and has shown a lot of promise. I really like everyone 2-7. It's hard to determine what the order should be, you could make a solid case for each player, don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I think Lafferty had a solid rookie season in the AHL last year, I think he'll be even better this year. Bellerive and Drozg have shown some good potential but might be a little weary how their game translates to the pro level.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
My top 10 goes something like...

1. Almeida
2. Bjorkqvist
3. Addison
4. Poulin
5. POJ
6. Hallander
7. Legare
8. Lafferty
9. Bellerive
10. Drozg

I really think Almeida is in a tier of his own at #1. Without a doubt he has the most potential and has shown a lot of promise. I really like everyone 2-7. It's hard to determine what the order should be, you could make a solid case for each player, don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I think Lafferty had a solid rookie season in the AHL last year, I think he'll be even better this year. Bellerive and Drozg have shown some good potential but might be a little weary how their game translates to the pro level.

Size and speed are my concerns with Almeida and why I'm hesitant to be too high on his upside. In regards to speed, I'm not saying he's slow. But I also don't think he's Rust/Hagelin out there, which I tend to want someone his size to be in order to compensate.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think Bjorkqvist just because of what I have read about how much muscle he has put on and how productive he has been. He has also taken a leadership role on at Providence. I also couple with him being probably the closest to the NHL in regards to our top prospects. I pick Addison at 2.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Guentzel isn’t a burner either...

Guentzel can move though. He's also very quick in short spaces.

A top end gear in hockey is something that is good in specific uses. Jeff Skinner, for instance, isn't the fastest top end speed guy in the league, but I sure as shit would pick him in a short area race. Jake is very similar.

I think something that gets lost with Jake sometimes is how strong he is on the puck. He doesn't get bullied at all for being 170 pounds. It's incredible.

Reactions: tom_servo

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Guentzel can move though. He's also very quick in short spaces.

A top end gear in hockey is something that is good in specific uses. Jeff Skinner, for instance, isn't the fastest top end speed guy in the league, but I sure as **** would pick him in a short area race. Jake is very similar.

I think something that gets lost with Jake sometimes is how strong he is on the puck. He doesn't get bullied at all for being 170 pounds. It's incredible.

No shit. Crazy how this kid hasnt had 20 concussions by now and didnt miss anytime. He took so much abuse during the 2017 playoff run too...kept going. Even the following year against Philly...kept going..kept scoring.

Other guys get a jersey tucked on and out for 12 weeks.

Amazed how he can take a hit at that size.

How he isn't appreciated at 6×6 is beyond me(i know most do...but a few thinking its not a steal).

Should be the fan fav by far at this point

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Guentzel isn’t a burner either...

Guentzel's got more bulk to him. It's not just height with Almeida. He also seems to have a small frame.

Besides, I didn't say it's impossible for small guys who aren't speedsters to make it. It just adds one more thing they have to overcome. A guy like Guentzel is the exception rather than the norm.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If Almeida has high hockey IQ like Jake, he’ll have a real good chance for nhl success....I have no idea if he does...

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Its a good sign there so many diff opinions as people's top prospect.

Not all will pan out but with this bunch..theres gonna be one who reaches Guentzel level imo. Others as Hornqvist types(assuming they reach potential) and others as Rust types.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Size and speed are my concerns with Almeida and why I'm hesitant to be too high on his upside. In regards to speed, I'm not saying he's slow. But I also don't think he's Rust/Hagelin out there, which I tend to want someone his size to be in order to compensate.
I don't think they're that big of a concern. Adding a little more bulk could definitely help though. I think he has the smarts, skills, and compete level to compensate anywhere he's lacking in those areas.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
So do you guys want to keep Jarry in the poll? He hasnt established himself but is waiver eligible.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm okay with being outvoted, but for me, a guy who's had his rookie season and has to go through waivers usually isn't a prospect.

Fwiw, everything I'm reading about Almeida at the moment is flagging his speed as a plus - in fact, Jesse made a pretty direct Rust comparison last summer.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Hockey sense can overcome just about any physical shortcoming.

XanderCrews34

Mar 28, 2014
I know absolutely nothing is certain...but which of these guys do those in-the-know see as being the closest to making the big club?

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Legare... Most upside IMO and I think he has the tools to hit it. Bullish player with a 40 goal scorers shot.

Addison... I see him as a Goligoski type. Smart with good outlets but not the dynamic Letang type.

Hallander... I like his stick skills better than Hornqvist. He can hold onto puck and has more poise.

Poulin... Hard to judge because I dont think hes close to his upside. The Pens really have to develope him but I think hes an Andres Lee type with a downside of Bugsy.

HOs to Clayton Philips and Bjorkqvist

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Stop trying to make me look bad, jerk.

It's a gift :laugh:

I think we read the same scouting reports initially as I remember there being questions too when he was drafted (also accusations of being a perimeter player). But everything I read in season says he's a great skater (who likes to go to the dirty areas). I dunno definitely which is true, but I do know that Jesse posted some video where he looked pretty damn quick.

Tbh, I kinda want to wait and see how Almeida does at the next level up, but there is a case for him being the most exciting prospect right now. He's scored at a ridiculous rate and supposedly has a very solid two-way game.

I know absolutely nothing is certain...but which of these guys do those in-the-know see as being the closest to making the big club?

Lafferty, Miletic, Bjorkqvist - and Adam Johnson if still considered a prospect.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
My top-4 are pretty much set
1. Bellerive
2. Hallander
3. Bjorkqvist
4. Addison
from there I'm not sure, maybe Poulin or POJ

Ad

Upcoming events