Prospect Info: Penguins #1 Prospect

Who's our #1 Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Addison for me simply because he's further along in his development (albeit being a defensemen). I don't know the quality level of these guys but we do have more depth by finally picking a 1st rounder, moving up in the 3rd and acquiring POJ via trade.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Sprong, like Bennett before him proves 90% of this board should just stick to watching hockey and remain mutes otherwise.

I'm not sure what that proves. Sprong hasn't had the injuries Bennett has had. If anything, Caputi and Tangradi fit into your claim but not Sprong and Bennett. Two players drafted in different rounds, both with good talent. One had his career derailed by injuires and the other is just beginning, i'm not sure i see the comparison

And its not like the board had poorly judged either of Sprong or Bennett's talent, hell Bennett isn't even out of the league he just signed with the Yotes. If not for injuries he likely would've been a good middle 6er and Sprong had a decent offensive showing in Anaheim

Addison

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom Hanks

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Just biding his time until Murray lets in a goal and he has to write a 5-paragraph essay about it.

No different than the countless essays anytime MAF let in a soft goal. Zing.

The search feature is pretty revealing.

But hey, I enjoy pointing out hypocrites. Which is why I harp on Murray when he shits the bed.

Play great? I'll tip my cap.

Play poorly? I'll roast you.

What I won't do is talk out of both sides of my mouth.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Addison for me simply because he's further along in his development (albeit being a defensemen). I don't know the quality level of these guys but we do have more depth by finally picking a 1st rounder, moving up in the 3rd and acquiring POJ via trade.

I feel like this is the best group we've had since maybe 2013 or so (although obviously we won't know the truth for a while) and that we should probably get down to about 7 before running out of guys with a genuine shot at being something reasonably high end in the NHL, and that's not counting goalies or a pretty strong pool of interesting bottom 6 ex-college guys who should be ready soon.

I'm leaning towards Addison but I kinda want to go with Almeida; he arguably has the highest ceiling of anyone on the list and has a solid two-way game even if undersized.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
I went with Poulin bc the actual experts had him ranked high in a highly touted draft year. Thought about Addison, but I have concerns about his defense.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Hands down it's Almedia. I'm really surprised he hasn't gotten a vote yet. The kid is electric.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Obviously theres a couple more moves left to make, but we might as well get this started.

I'll include Jarry for now even though his future is undetermined. Lots of new additions this year. The team has done really well replenishing the cupboard in the last year. Our list will very different than the last year.

Polls will go 48 hours unless there's a landslide win. If its too close to call then a 24 hour run-off will be done.

Here's our past polls. Can only see the full list as far back as 2015.

(Sprong has really dominated these polls :laugh:)

2018 (Sprong, Jarry, Bellerive)
2017 (Sprong, Jarry, ZAR)
2016 (Sprong, Guentzel, Sundqvist)
2015 (Murray, Sprong, Sundqvist)
2014 (Pouliot, Kapanen, Harrington)
2013 (Pouliot, Maatta, Harrington)
2012 (Morrow, Despres, Dumoulin)
2011 (Despres, Tangradi, Bennett)
2010 (Tangradi, Despres, Bennett)
2009 (Tangradi, Despres, Caputi)
2008 (Goligoski, Caputi, Jeffrey)
We really suck at this. That history of #1 is gross.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Sprong, like Bennett before him proves 90% of this board should just stick to watching hockey and remain mutes otherwise.

it wasn't just these boards though, they were pretty much deemed as top prospects in their respective groups by our management & scouts also...

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
The system is a little better better and deeper than it has been for awhile. But continue drafting is critical from here. Pens will need to be solid in player development to bridge the time when Geno and Sid are done or at least no longer the players in their prime. Like Poulin as he has the size offensive skills LW that the Pens just don't have.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
What is reddit?

Don't say Twitter either as I've never been on there, and never will be.

I enjoy stringing full sentences together more often than not. :help:

But the track record of people on this board voting prospects isn't that good. In fact it's pretty sad when you look back through history. One can search things like that here.

Prospects as a whole are way, way to over hyped anyway.

I prefer going with safer choices in these polls.

Addison might have the best upside but he also carries a ton more risk than numerous players here. I'm not a fan of smallish, offensive only dmen who get drafted with miles of road to go defensively.

PO Joseph doesn't have the offensive upside of Addison but count me in the camp of people who still believes a Dman's #1 priority is stopping the other team. That's why I'm higher on POJ. I think he was a sneaky good add to the Kessel trade based on everything I've read.

I think Hallander is a bottom 6 NHL lock. Same with Bjork, although I think he could be a scoring line glue guy if he peaks just right.

But I'm going way off the board because I don't enjoy following the same road the masses take.

Give me Almari.

reddit is basically just a conglomeration of forums for basically every topic known to man. The Pittsburgh Penguins forum URL, if you're interested in sharing your wisdom there, is www.reddit.com/r/iamverysmart

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
What is reddit?

Don't say Twitter either as I've never been on there, and never will be.

I enjoy stringing full sentences together more often than not. :help:

But the track record of people on this board voting prospects isn't that good. In fact it's pretty sad when you look back through history. One can search things like that here.

Prospects as a whole are way, way to over hyped anyway.

I prefer going with safer choices in these polls.

Addison might have the best upside but he also carries a ton more risk than numerous players here. I'm not a fan of smallish, offensive only dmen who get drafted with miles of road to go defensively.

PO Joseph doesn't have the offensive upside of Addison but count me in the camp of people who still believes a Dman's #1 priority is stopping the other team. That's why I'm higher on POJ. I think he was a sneaky good add to the Kessel trade based on everything I've read.

I think Hallander is a bottom 6 NHL lock. Same with Bjork, although I think he could be a scoring line glue guy if he peaks just right.

But I'm going way off the board because I don't enjoy following the same road the masses take.

Give me Almari.
Great name, great posts. Keep up the great work my friend.

Reactions: tom_servo

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This is tough. It's really between Poulin and Addison for me. That said, it's quite clear that Poulin is the #1 forward prospect, Addison is the #1 defensive prospect. If push comes to shove, I say Poulin just due to draft pedigree.

I think Jarry is well developed. We know what we have there. Tough for me to consider him a "prospect" still.

Poulin
Addison
Bjorkqvist
POJ
Bellerive

Are my top 5. After that, I think I start making cases about the next five which includes Hallander, Legare, Palve, Almari, Almeida.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I feel like this is the best group we've had since maybe 2013 or so (although obviously we won't know the truth for a while) and that we should probably get down to about 7 before running out of guys with a genuine shot at being something reasonably high end in the NHL, and that's not counting goalies or a pretty strong pool of interesting bottom 6 ex-college guys who should be ready soon.

I'm leaning towards Addison but I kinda want to go with Almeida; he arguably has the highest ceiling of anyone on the list and has a solid two-way game even if undersized.

Gotta give JR huge props for the quick turn around there.

Reactions: Peat

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
#1 Matt Murray
#2 Daniel Sprong
#3 Oskar Sundqvist
#4 Brian Dumoulin
#5 Tristan Jarry
#6 Dominik Simon
#7 Scott Wilson
#8 Conor Sheary
#9 Jake Guentzel
#10 Bryan Rust
#11 Teddy Blueger

I gotta say, that 2015 group was ****ing good. Thats ALOT of NHL players right there.

So which one of the current crop is the next Jake Guentzel?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
i went with Legare because i think he can eventually make the most impact, but it was between him and Poulin. Addison would be my 3rd pick.

Legare (by a molecule)
Poulin
Addison
Bellerive
POJ

Legare excites me a lot more than Poulin does... but I think Poulin is a lot more skilled and is a lot less boom/bust. But really both are quality prospects who I can't wait to see how they pan out.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad