Prospect Info: Penguins #1 Prospect

Who's our #1 Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
This is tough. It's really between Poulin and Addison for me. That said, it's quite clear that Poulin is the #1 forward prospect, Addison is the #1 defensive prospect. If push comes to shove, I say Poulin just due to draft pedigree.

I think Jarry is well developed. We know what we have there. Tough for me to consider him a "prospect" still.

Just realised that, unless I've missed something, Jarry would no longer be considered a rookie by the NHL and arguably shouldn't be in this poll at all.

Gotta give JR huge props for the quick turn around there.

Yeah, it's been good, although it's easy to boost a prospect pool when it's so weak to begin with :laugh: And tbf, most of this is the scouts. Rutherford held onto the 1st, added POJ, and traded up when they wanted; it's the scouts who've made such good use of their picks that we're excited about a bunch of 2nd/3rd rounders with a few late picks and an undrafted thrown in.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Lol Tangradi was ranked our top prospect for 2 years?

Did those people that picked him ever watch him play? I hate Shero so much. I do remember constantly seeing people say power forwards take longer to develop as the justification explaining why he sucked back when I was a lurker.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, I'd probably agree on taking Jarry out of the poll entirely, he's not really a "prospect" anymore. Anyone who's waiver eligible shouldn't be in this poll, which he is. He's basically a NHLer already, he's a backup that could improve to being a 1A or 1B goalie.

Jarry getting removed makes the top-5 really clear (Addison, POJ, Poulin, Hallander and Bjorkqvist in no order) and then things start getting interesting at 6.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, I'd probably agree on taking Jarry out of the poll entirely, he's not really a "prospect" anymore. Anyone who's waiver eligible shouldn't be in this poll, which he is. He's basically a NHLer already, he's a backup that could improve to being a 1A or 1B goalie.

Jarry getting removed makes the top-5 really clear (Addison, POJ, Poulin, Hallander and Bjorkqvist in no order) and then things start getting interesting at 6.

At least 1 and maybe 2/3 of those wouldn't be in my top 5 and with Bellerive currently in (distant) 3rd in this vote, I think he's getting in the top 5.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
At least 1 and maybe 2/3 of those wouldn't be in my top 5 and with Bellerive currently in (distant) 3rd in this vote, I think he's getting in the top 5.

I think Bellerive is going to be going way too high in this poll. I don't even know if he's in my top 7, I'm not sure I'd have him over Legare or Almeida in addition to those 5.

In hindsight, I don't even know why Bellerive got 3rd last year. The only thing I can think of is that he was the flavor of the month after having a strong rookie camp.

Reactions: PAJEN NORDGREN

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think Bellerive is going to be going way too high in this poll. I don't even know if he's in my top 7, I'm not sure I'd have him over Legare or Almeida in addition to those 5.

In hindsight, I don't even know why Bellerive got 3rd last year. The only thing I can think of is that he was the flavor of the month after having a strong rookie camp.

I'm inclined to agree he's likely going way too high this poll, but last year it made sense after a D+1 season in which he at times pretty much single-handedly carried that Lethbridge team to a great and not entirely expected season, putting up numbers that looked good up against Sprong's D+1 and pacing pretty close to Glass for most of the season.

And tbh, if it was just the burns holding him back last season and he's back to what he was doing in that D+1 next year, he will make not having him in the top 3 or so look a bit silly. Just that nobody knows that for sure.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Could people speak to how Addison progressed over the last season and why he should move up in the rankings? I was disappointed that he put up exactly the same production as the previous season despite his team scoring 25 additional goals. His +/- went up, but the team also went from a -2 to a +44 goal differential. He was a +2 while the top forwards ranged from +26 to +41. Excluding one Y17 D, the other D ranged from +14 to +40. So again, I'd like to hear other opinions on him.

Reactions: td_ice

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009

I have a lot of reservations about Bellerive too. I'm not sure what all the hype is about him.

Reactions: PAJEN NORDGREN

MarioBros83

Oct 31, 2015
Finland
I'm no scout, but watching Almari in my home town for the last couple of years, let's just say that I'm not convinced of his game. He was a #7 D in a low budget finnish team (although we did win the championship).
Could be a self confidence thing, but he was bad defensively and didn't show on the scoreboard either. Always a scare when he had the puck in his own end. Also needs to add alot of muscle.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
No different than the countless essays anytime MAF let in a soft goal. Zing.

The search feature is pretty revealing.

But hey, I enjoy pointing out hypocrites. Which is why I harp on Murray when he ****s the bed.

Play great? I'll tip my cap.

Play poorly? I'll roast you.

What I won't do is talk out of both sides of my mouth.

YOU like pointing out hypocrites? Mirror is -----> way bud.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
This is a tough one. I'm going to have to think on it a bit.

Based on pedigree and whatnot you'd think Poulin goes now. I wasn't too impressed with him in the prospect tourney but Legare looked very good. That said, it was almost a Summer pick up game so I don't want to give that too much weight. Almeida had a great season. As did Addison. We haven't really seen POJ yet but according to @Jesse and everything I've read, he and Addison are neck and neck. I feel like any of these guys could end up #1 after a few months. I feel like Hallander and Bellerive could bounce back a bit and force their way back into this tier too. Really interesting group, IMO.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Could people speak to how Addison progressed over the last season and why he should move up in the rankings? I was disappointed that he put up exactly the same production as the previous season despite his team scoring 25 additional goals. His +/- went up, but the team also went from a -2 to a +44 goal differential. He was a +2 while the top forwards ranged from +26 to +41. Excluding one Y17 D, the other D ranged from +14 to +40. So again, I'd like to hear other opinions on him.

For me, it was less a case of Addison improving because I don't really know whether he has or not. It was more a case of the three guys in front of him being someone no longer being on the list, someone I believe shouldn't be on the list, and someone where I kinda need to see them healthy before keeping them so high - and nobody progressing to where I thought they should go in front of him. Yes, him not scoring more is kinda a disappointment, but looking around at other CHL defensive prospects of about the same age it seems like a bit of scoring stagnation isn't uncommon, and he was scoring at such a huge rate pre-draft I'm not that bothered. To me, he's still got the highest ceiling of any of our prospects if everything goes well, and I decided that was worth going 1st on the poll even if he's boom or bust.

PAJEN NORDGREN

Jul 23, 2018
Stockholm
I'm no scout, but watching Almari in my home town for the last couple of years, let's just say that I'm not convinced of his game. He was a #7 D in a low budget finnish team (although we did win the championship).
Could be a self confidence thing, but he was bad defensively and didn't show on the scoreboard either. Always a scare when he had the puck in his own end. Also needs to add alot of muscle.

Agree 100 %

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I'm thinking maybe something like

1 Poulin
2 Addison
3 POJ
4 Almeida
5 Legare

HM: Hallander, Bellerive, Bjorkqvist
Don't @ me, Guerin.

Reactions: Peat

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Huh. Last offseason or the one before it I talked about how obvious it was that we had little to no one down on the farm, especially on D, and was met with a list of all the jabroni Dmen we had kicking around in WBS or signed from Europe. Now it seems to be consensus how bad our prospects supposedly were up until recently.

I really need to read about POJ. I haven't gotten around to it, but on the surface he seems to have the most pedigree + seasoning combo of anyone.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Has to be Poulin, 1st round selection and probably has the most upside.
Now we've said that often in the past, now let's hope and see if he can take his talent to the next level!

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He's not even amongst the top 8 Finnish blueliners in his very narrow age group.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He's not even amongst the top 8 Finnish blueliners in his very narrow age group.

Santeri Airola might be though :naughty:

Tbh, when it comes to Almari, I'm not sure what to expect. It does sound like the org is still pretty high on him - but the Finns aren't. I don't know who's right there.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Santeri Airola might be though :naughty:

Tbh, when it comes to Almari, I'm not sure what to expect. It does sound like the org is still pretty high on him - but the Finns aren't. I don't know who's right there.

Probably neither. :laugh: But to play devil's advocate, being excellent in a foreign league doesn't necessarily translate into the NHL, and vice versa. If there's some aspect of his game that the Pens think will work in the NHL/AHL, by all means bring him over. I don't know enough about him to make a judgement one way or the other.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Poulin is not close to being NHL ready from what I have read. Same with Addison. Bjorkqvist is our closest NHL ready prospect IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad