Post-Game Talk: Penguins 0 - Predators 300: Better Than No Sex Cake Edition

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Penguins had more zone time than Nashville. Honestly could have won if not for asinine boneheaded mistakes that directly lead to goals. Crosby is either injured still or doesn't care, just floating out there.

All in all the Penguins, if things fell differently could have won this game. This was not close to the Washington game.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Rupp was on Madden the other day and rejected the idea that "talent" was a problem outright. Preferred to use euphamisms instead of calling the team out, but I got the distinct impression he thought the team was light on size and balls. Also specifically pointed to the loss of (and failure to replace) Duper's footspeed as a problem because he forces turnovers that are no longer getting forced.

This is, essentially, what I see. In the last clutch and grab era (which Rupp would be familiar with, having won a championship on the clutchingest, grabbingest club there ever was), the way to create against disciplined teams trying to turn the ice into a swamp usually boiled down to either team mobility or team size. Interfering with Adam Lowry or Chris Gratton is tough because they're so friggin big. Interfering with Grabner or Bondra is tough because they've often got a step on you and are often on top of you before you're ready to make a pass.

Finally, Dumo wasn't even up here for our slide, so he's an odd guy to single out.

I caught part of the Rupp interview and he was definitely holding back what he wanted to say.

To be honest, our forecheck is garbage. I think that is why we look so much better when we play a neutral zone game. Duper's loss definitely hurts us there but I get the feeling that poor execution is also plaguing us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad