TSN: Pearson traded to Pittsburgh

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
This has been my biggest contention. Just because people are eventually right doesn't mean they weren't jumping the gun/wrong for making claims back in 2014.

Trading Pearson was overdue; maybe not him specifically, but the Kings kept too many players together for too long. Some moves should have been made.

I was willing to give Blake last year, just like BigKing, to sit back and evaluate the team's response to firing Sutter. But trading Gaborik for Phaneuf, while helpful, didn't address underlying problems with the team.

They are gonna have to do something now....projected cap space of 6 million next year with only 14 roster spots....that's including the deal that was just made..

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
You're wrong and for the last time, many people posting here did look at the Kings roster, the cap hits of players on the roster, and the Kings prospects and said they are no better than a black hole team. Who cares if the exact level of suckage wasn't predicted. Just knowing the Kings were not and are not contenders signaled it was time to start turning over the roster.

You bring up Winnipeg. They are still sitting in a playoff spot and some of their best YOUNG players aren't having a good start to the season. How you can compare the two and suggest I would think it's time to blow the Jets up just shows you don't comprehend what I am posting.

But thats EXACTLY what it is.....if LA came out exactly like they did last year....what would the story be?? Oh they aren't contenders because they pay Kopitar too much?? EVERY contender is top heavy....that's the nature of it....Toronto is gonna be majorly top heavy in 2 years....

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
No he's not, he's also not going to be around next year like Pearson would have been, don't you see that?

You wouldn't rather have a draft pick? Next season, we would at least have another prospect in the system. This just gets rid of Pearson for nothing.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
You wouldn't rather have a draft pick? Next season, we would at least have another prospect in the system. This just gets rid of Pearson for nothing.

Pearson with his salary isn't gonna get you a draft pick....Hagelin, being a UFA...can get a 3rd or a 4th at the trade deadline...when contending teams or teams rushing to make the playoffs...can fit him in and not have to worry about term.

Reactions: BringTheReign

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
But thats EXACTLY what it is.....if LA came out exactly like they did last year....what would the story be?? Oh they aren't contenders because they pay Kopitar too much?? EVERY contender is top heavy....that's the nature of it....Toronto is gonna be majorly top heavy in 2 years....
If you recall last year I said I hope I am wrong, but I think the Kings will come back down to earth. They did with a resounding thud in the 1st round.

So what, Toronto may be top heavy in two years. At least their money will be invested in players on their 2nd contracts, not on almost 30-somethings going on their 3rd contract.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Seen some chatter "why not have waited to trade Pearson at deadline, if he had not come around?"

Because by Feb 25, (supposed deadline this yr) which is 60 games into the schedule and Pearson has something putrid like 5 goals and 9 assists (or maybe even less) you get nothing for him and are stuck with him and have to pay him 3.75 million for 2 more seasons. (that 3.75 mil pays 1/3 of Doughtys contract each of next 2 yrs or gets 100% certainly BETTER talent than Person with that money) Why not get a pick or prospect? Because the Pens had to (or wanted to) deal equal salary back for this year...and I read from Rutherford himself, they are willing to take the contract back and hope he resrurges.

Something had to give and best to get rid of one of the worst 3 players - Pearson, Phaneuf, Thompson and you cannot get rid of the latter 2...unfortunately.
A message had to be sent to the players. They have not responded to ANYTHING and having to see Pearson pack, leave the team, is a message all of the team will NEVER forget....some have already forgot about that they cost Stevens his job. Have to send message to all.

Reactions: ibleedkings

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Trading Pearson isn't the problem. The return is the problem.

Hagelin is older and just as unproductive as Pearson while playing with better talent. Unless he rebounds and Blake flips him for a pick/prospect at the deadline, it will be an utter waste.

Pearson should have been swapped for a pick or for a player of similar age who needs a change of scenery, like Ryan Strome (for example).

Islcey

Jun 18, 2018
I'm excited to see Hagelin lace up the skates for the Kings. I've always thought he had the potential to produce a bit more than he has and hopefully he adds some life to the Kings offensive attack. Hopefully Hagelin finds a good role in Los Angeles and is more than just a trade piece at the deadline to the organization.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles

Hagelin is older and just as unproductive as Pearson while playing with better talent. Unless he rebounds and Blake flips him for a pick/prospect at the deadline, it will be an utter waste.

Pearson should have been swapped for a pick or for a player of similar age who needs a change of scenery, like Ryan Strome (for example).
I'm ok with the trade IF Hagelin is moved at the deadline for a 2nd or 3rd or ok prospect. If he isnt and Pearson was really dealt so that Hagelin can help the pk I'll be pissed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

I agree, the whole idea behind getting Hagelin better be to flip him at the deadline.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Pearson will flourish in Pittsburgh. Eventually he'll play alongside Crosby. Watch him score 30 goals next season.

As for the trade, who cares, it means nothing and won't change anything. I don't care anymore...

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
If you recall last year I said I hope I am wrong, but I think the Kings will come back down to earth. They did with a resounding thud in the 1st round.

So what, Toronto may be top heavy in two years. At least their money will be invested in players on their 2nd contracts, not on almost 30-somethings going on their 3rd contract.

Again, IGNORING the point....that if LA comes out guns blazing like last year...there's nothing here, there's no crisis....if LA plays defense like last year...there's no crisis....

And again, Toronto will be in the same boat as LA, Marner, Matthews 8 year contracts, you really think TOR is going to let them walk away at age 29? Good luck with that,

I love how you mention how Winnipeg's young players are off to horrible starts, I prove you wrong, and you just...ignore that.... I get it, it's convient, it's much easier to think that the roster sucks, rather than the roster isn't playing well, it fits your narrative.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Again ignoring that the Kings didn't come out guns blazing this season. Again ignoring the fact the Kings had a favorable schedule to start the season last year and faded.

The Kings roster isn't devoid of talent, but it is a black hole team, and when they don't care they are a last place team. What if the Kings won the Stanley Cup last season? I'm done responding to your BS what ifs.

Last edited:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Again ignoring that the Kings didn't come out guns blazing this season. Again ignoring the fact the Kings had a favorable schedule to start the season last year and faded.

The Kings roster isn't devoid of talent, but it is a black hole team, and when they don't care they are a last place team. What if the Kings won the Stanley Cup last season? I'm done responding to your BS what ifs.

And here you are....using hind sight....which is what I am arguing....of course NOW we see that they didn't come out so we can go back and say this should have been done, that should have been done....etc, NOW we know their league strong defense, is now one of the worst...so NOW we can adjust...which is what I think he is doing with the Pearson deal....

The problem with hindsight is you lose all sight of perspective...AT THE TIME. AT THE TIME, they thought they had a league strong defense....and had issues scoring, so they add a potential 20-30 goal scorer to what they think is a league strong D, a great C in Kopitar, a resurgent Brown, and a resurgner Carter....and...it doesn't work, and the people that are saying....see, I TOLD YOU.....are ONLY able to do it, because the team disappeared....

But yea, you ignore that too just because it fits your narrative bud....

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
This has to be just a start though regardless,

6.6 M in cap space right now, 14 players signed...I still think they move one of Muzzin/Martinez, and one of Carter/Toffoli to create about 14M in cap space depending on return etc...

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Sorry, I gotta laugh at the bi-polar nature of this fanbase

Team sucks...make a trade...trade everyone...!! rebuild!! retool!! etc

then...

OMG he made a trade! WTF! that's horrible, how can you do that...etc.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't
tbh this is a lot of us Penguins fans. i won't speak for Kings fans, but us Pens fans are a spoiled bunch.

i wish Hagelin luck in what could be a short stay in LA. i also hope Pearson can come in and contribute for Pittsburgh.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
tbh this is a lot of us Penguins fans. i won't speak for Kings fans, but us Pens fans are a spoiled bunch.

i wish Hagelin luck in what could be a short stay in LA. i also hope Pearson can come in and contribute for Pittsburgh.

True, it's probably the nature of fans?

I think Pearson will be fine for you guys, not sure if he will click with Malkin.Crosby,but he has the ability to be a net presence and can score. When he puts 100% into the game, he's a solid player,

This year he just wasn't doing that.

Reactions: domaug

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
And here you are....using hind sight....which is what I am arguing....of course NOW we see that they didn't come out so we can go back and say this should have been done, that should have been done....etc, NOW we know their league strong defense, is now one of the worst...so NOW we can adjust...which is what I think he is doing with the Pearson deal....

The problem with hindsight is you lose all sight of perspective...AT THE TIME. AT THE TIME, they thought they had a league strong defense....and had issues scoring, so they add a potential 20-30 goal scorer to what they think is a league strong D, a great C in Kopitar, a resurgent Brown, and a resurgner Carter....and...it doesn't work, and the people that are saying....see, I TOLD YOU.....are ONLY able to do it, because the team disappeared....

But yea, you ignore that too just because it fits your narrative bud....
Okay one last try. The people you are arguing with about this can say "I told you.", because they were correct in their assessment of the situation as much as two years ago due to their FORESIGHT. They are only able to do this because they were right. Well, no **** Sherlock, they were correct, so yes they can say they were correct. Has nothing to do with hindsight.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Okay one last try. The people you are arguing with about this can say "I told you.", because they were correct in their assessment of the situation as much as two years ago due to their FORESIGHT. They are only able to do this because they were right. Well, no **** Sherlock, they were correct, so yes they can say they were correct. Has nothing to do with hindsight.

And again, I call bullshit on your so called ability to have the FORESIGHT....that the LA Kings defense would overnight go from one of the best in the league, to the worst of the league....that's utter crap, that 2 years ago, you called it....

Thats like what RJ said...you can keep calling that it won't snow in Southern California...and then be pleased you are correct......

The only reason you can say I told you so, is you've said it for so damn long, it's eventually going to happen, it's like the Leafs fan saying, I told you they would rebuild and be good....well f***ing duh....they've only said that for 15 years....

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Yeah, that's what happened, and I never said back in 2010 to be patient because Lombardi was on the right track and the Kings would be cup contenders soon. I just kept saying it until I was right. Truly the most obtuse arguments ever presented on this site are by GBH, and sometimes by RJ.

There I fixed it for Technical Ted, because GBH and RJ are both wrong in this case.

Last edited:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Which again goes back to what I was saying to SettlementRichie. Eventually, you'll be right. You don't get to (not you, others) pat yourself on the back for saying "I told you this team won't win another Cup." it's not a bold claim, just like saying a variation of "this team will be bottom 20" isn't. Chastising other posters for being right 4-5 years later? I thought this place was better than that. There is some intelligent discourse but it's buried in people breaking their arms to pat themselves on the back to feel vindicated about the team finallys ucking.

It won't fall below zero degrees in southern california this year. I'll check back in in January to be sure to point out how dumb you all are for not agreeing with me.

Sorry K17, say that again? What arguments are made by who?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad