TSN: Pearson traded to Pittsburgh

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The 'numbers' in LA, in a defensive mired system. That won't happen in Pitts, he'll be in faster system and in the top 6.
And who on the Kings this year has 'good' numbers?
The team with the better asset wins the trade, and that is the Pens. Haglin is a 30 yr old bottom sixer. If this was about $$ or the cap, the trade could have waited until the draft , summer when they would need the money. It wasn't about that. And it wasn't a good trade for the Kings.
Yes, Pearson is a good , young , 26 yr old asset.

Pearson wasn’t getting top six minutes in LA? Despite having no goals, he was still slotted on the second PP unit.

Pearson was a good, young player in the past. In the present, he’s an extremely disappointing player who isn’t half as good as he used to be.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
You dont trade a asset like Pearson for a UFA,you get a draft pick and or prospect.This makes no sense unless Blake is flipping Haglin with a bigger package.Terrible trade as of now.We should be getting younger not older.
What dont you understand?
Team's weren't offering that much for a guy with 1 assist in 17 games getting paid almost 4 million a year with term.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Pearson wasn’t getting top six minutes in LA? Despite having no goals, he was still slotted on the second PP unit.

Pearson was a good, young player in the past. In the present, he’s an extremely disappointing player who isn’t half as good as he used to be.
He certainly wasnt that player we saw in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
What Pearson was dealt for should tell you guys exactly what the rest of the league thought of him. Nobody was offering futures to take on that contract.

This does clear up cap space in the long run. Now to see who’s next on the chopping block. This is only the beginning.
No, I highly doubt that Blake was even considering futures here. He wanted cap space to spend now or in the summer. We have no idea if he was offered picks, but based on the Pacioretty offer this summer, he simply doesn't have any interest in planning for the future.

His previous deals indicate that he thinks Hagelin will either help or free up dough to spend on another mistake.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Lombardi went all-in on a team not fully one season removed from a Cup with the Sekera trade and then doubled down with Lucic. At least he was close to the time they actually were winning.

Blake was one playoff win and appearance removed from 2014, was given a three-goal playoff sweep and decided to keep on trucking.

We can list the reasons why Blake thought he had something just like we can list the reasons why Lombardi did what he did. In the end, Lombardi was wrong and was held accountable for it even if you could explain it.

Blake is accountable now. He made a serious miscalculation and has now effectively tied an arm behind his own back as he tries to get out of it. Just keeping picks and making them is part of the equation: he also needed to obtain more picks/prospects by moving out older guys. He thought he could have the best of both worlds and was wrong. That's his choice. Hopefully he can get out of it. Hughes would obviously be a windfall if they get #1OA when trying to be good. It would totally be by accident but, hey, better lucky than good in the world of GM'ing as Lombardi proved many times.
Kovalchuk has performed well, but I still think his signing was a move borne of desperation. Kovalchuk isn't going to vault the Kings from the black hole (or DFL) into contention. I think this signing was a Beckerman/Robitaille special. Maybe Blake was on board with it as well. If Blake was on board with it, he is the wrong man for the job that now needs to be done.

Reactions: BigKing

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
DL did buy in 2017 though, he traded a recently drafted 2nd round pick and a 5th for Bishop. You keep chastising Blake for moves that either didn't happen or didn't cost us anything. There doesn't seem to be any tangible mistake he made, even him guessing the team might actually be successful hasn't hurt us because he retained his draft picks. You have to give a guy more than 1 season before declaring him a failure, especially when his hands have been tied by the previous regime. Lastly, I don't believe that you can't understand any of the decisions Blake has made. They have all made perfectly good sense, a lot more sense then trading the 13th overall, Martin Jones(2016 1st round pick) and Colin Miller for one season of Lucic.

They obviously didn't think highly of Cernak to make that move. I've criticized it in the past as either a bad trade or a bad draft pick; however, I'm not going to lump it in to the same bin as Penner/Sekera/Lucic since it wasn't.

I don't think you are reading me correctly: I can understand Blake's moves just as I can understand Lombardi's moves. I can even justify most of Lombardi's moves and I can justify Blake's.

Doesn't mean a mistake isn't a mistake even if it makes sense.

Blake has been wrong so far when it comes down to what to do with the actual roster. Holding picks is the easy thing: managing actual human beings and deciding things like where they will live and work is much more difficult. His predecessor was lambasted for being too loyal: Blake has kept everyone around until forced to do something by this horrendous start. Due to this, the assets this team had outside of its draft picks have depreciated because Blake bet on this team being a contender.

It's a giant swing and a miss. I don't understand why it is an issue to call it as such.

Last edited:

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

In LA...in a system that doesn't work anymore. And Rutherford, or any GM, isn't trading for only this year's stats. He's a good GM and has done well for that team, he used his scouts and did his homework on this..
His disappointing recent production is with LA.
He's only 26 and has shown what kind of player he is and will be

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
He certainly wasnt that player we saw in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Even from two years ago. He hesitates a lot now and he seems like a player who doubts himself. A few years back I thought he was destined to be a Justin Williams type of forward who’d be strong on the fore check, getting on pucks quickly, winning board battles, and forcing turnovers and creating scoring chances by utilizing his speed.

Sadly, it’s been years since we’ve seen that player, and his injuries have slowed him down immensely, to the point where he’s extremely ineffective and barely ever noticeable. Hell, I don’t even think I heard his name once in yesterday’s game. He’s been one of the biggest disappointments this season.

Reactions: King Trouty

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
The biggest reason Kovalchuk was signed imho was to improve the PP, which hasn’t been deadly for some time. It was completely ineffective during the Vegas series where a couple goals here or there would have had an impact on those games.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Good for Pearson he gets away from this losing. He was playing himself off the roster, mission accomplished.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
Again I will post this.

You dont trade a asset like Pearson for a UFA,you get a draft pick and or prospect.This makes no sense unless Blake is flipping Haglin with a bigger package.Terrible trade as of now.We should be getting younger not older.

But he freed up cap space. It's not like we got completely nothing out of the trade. And we won't know if we could have gotten a draft pick or prospect unless Blake tells us the offered received or other teams announce the offers (if any) they gave. Without that, you risk keeping Pearson on for even less leverage if he doesn't play to his cap hit. Then we're saddling a player we can't unload taking up 3.75 mil in cap space.

Mod: QEP

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I’m sorry, RJ, but this reads like one giant pivot toward bickering over ad hominems. In a nutshell, you’re just mad at posters, not posts. I really can’t offer anything substantive there other than a personal apology.

I don’t understand why anyone is smug or angry or upset about any of this. It’s just a reality. Our team is bad. We need to rebuild. I have no problem sunbathing on the Titanic with anyone here, nor was my intention ever to rub anything in anyone’s face.

I simply take issue with the delusion that this is a good team playing bad, which is Luc Robitaille territory. This is simply a bad team playing very bad.

Wasn't a pivot at all. In short, I'm calling out the notion that anyone predicted the Kings would be this bad, because a group of posters are using that as leverage against other posters instead of against the situation as a whole.

There's a whole lot of range between 'bubble playoff team' and '31st place' that accommodates a whole range of retooling, rebuilding, or staying the course philosophies so this "I told you all they were bad, we need to rebuild" stuff insinuating other posters are dumb for feeling differently is just smug ego masturbation. Which is funny because the folks that WERE proponents of a rebuild even last year ARENT taking that sharp of an attitude now.

I'm imagining this is just all reactionary and people are pissed about the state of the team, believe me, I get that. But the "I was right" attitudes aren't productive at all.

And to the post, yes, this is a not-great team playing terribly bad. But they aren't this bad.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
For the record, that's me deleting the bickering OT posts. Yell at me about it, not each other.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Anyone know what other teams were offering for a player earning $3,750,000 until 2021 and has zero goals and one assist on the season?

I’m going to assume there may not have been a long lineup of GMs calling for such a player.

Ziggy I agree with 99.9 percent of the time but this is a horrible deal.

Pearson has good stats, is still in his prime and 1st round pedigree. Some team out there would have for sure at least offered a pick or a mid level prospect.

This is Blake clinging to the fact he thinks he has a competitive playoff team. The same reason he signed Kovalchuk.

Blake should have NEVER signed Kovy and traded Pearson for prospects/picks. Over this summer, Blake should have moved players KNOWING that this roster is done. Vegas destroyed us, we barely scored or could skate with them, thank god for Quick in that series. 2014 IS OVER. This team needs a re-tool and to get younger and signing 36 year old Kovy and trading for 30 year old Hagelin are BACKWARDS MOVES!

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Ziggy I agree with 99.9 percent of the time but this is a horrible deal.

Pearson has good stats, is still in his prime and 1st round pedigree. Some team out there would have for sure at least offered a pick or a mid level prospect.

This is Blake clinging to the fact he thinks he has a competitive playoff team. The same reason he signed Kovalchuk.

Blake should have NEVER signed Kovy and traded Pearson for prospects/picks. Over this summer, Blake should have moved players KNOWING that this roster is done. Vegas destroyed us, we barely scored or could skate with them, thank god for Quick in that series. 2014 IS OVER. This team needs a re-tool and to get younger and signing 36 year old Kovy and trading for 30 year old Hagelin are BACKWARDS MOVES!
I agree.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
So the "I was right" attitudes are the same as the Kings power play?

My criticism isn't an "I was right" as there are those on here that have been banging the rebuild drum much longer than I've been saying it. I'm just criticizing a management team that severely misread the state of the franchise and has slowed down the inevitable rebuild.

Have to hope for continued suckage and the #1OA. I'm sure Chicago will win the lottery and leapfrog us though.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
So the "I was right" attitudes are the same as the Kings power play?

My criticism isn't an "I was right" as there are those on here that have been banging the rebuild drum much longer than I've been saying it. I'm just criticizing a management team that severely misread the state of the franchise and has slowed down the inevitable rebuild.

Have to hope for continued suckage and the #1OA. I'm sure Chicago will win the lottery and leapfrog us though.

I have zero delusions we'd actually win the lottery. Most Kings thing ever would be to win the last game of the season and drop to second only to lose the lottery and drop to third.

And yeah my point is there's plenty of criticism to go around without turning on each other. Many of us thought they were talented enough to be at least a bubble team and that's not a fringe opinion worthy of derision.

Reactions: deaderhead28

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Not a fan of trading Toffoli either as rumored by the 4th period.I feel theres better candidates that need to go than Toffoli.I also believe until they switch out the leaders,its not going to matter who the coach is or who they bring in at this point

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Not a fan of trading Toffoli either as rumored by the 4th period.I feel theres better candidates that need to go than Toffoli.I also believe until they switch out the leaders,its not going to matter who the coach is or who they bring in at this point

Based on today’s deal, I’d expect the following returns straight up for Toffoli

Phi, Lehtera, $4.7m, UFA
NYI, Nelson, &4.25m, UFA
BUF, Pomminville, salary retained

Reactions: deaderhead28

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad