Confirmed with Link: Pearson For Gubranson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Dale Tallon offered Jason Demers straight up for Gudbranson 16 months ago. It only didn't happen because of Demers' NTC.

I really don't get people on here. Do people think JR is just an idiot and does moves that literally no other GM would do? This isn't justifying this move, it's a terrible move, but I really think people don't have the perspective needed to say stuff like this.

Bad decisions are bad decisions. You don’t move a FA to be for a guy struggling with term left. I said it right after the Pearson deal, so it’s not hindsight.

The worst thing a GM can do when he is trying to build a championship roster and is always agt the cap, is to put bad long term deals in his pocket. That’s asinine decision making.

You already signed a bad deal with JJ, and now you compounded the problem when it didn’t need to happen. You can’t keep taking risks on reclamation projects with term. It’s extremely risky and bad decision making, no one on here can dance around that reality with me, sorry.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Do you want me to pull up January of 2019 then, where Tallon was again trying to acquire Gudbranson?

Seriously, what is it with this site? Do people just think JR is an idiot? Do people think JR does moves that no other GMs would make? Because that's really the vibe I get, people on this site think JR is alone on the moves he makes while no other GM would even think about making those moves.

If you are correct. Then why didn't anyone offer something better than Pearson? Hell even a 4th is better than Pearson because you take back no cap if you're Vancouver

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Vancouver Canucks: The annual Erik Gudbranson to Florida rumours

Let's pray he stays in his job, because we now have 2 white elephants to unload this off-season.

I think you're grossly overestimating other GMs here. I think people on here completely lack the perspective to make any claims about how players are untradeable, because they're making it really obvious that they don't know how other GMs operate outside of their own.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Come on, we all know why JJ is never a scratch. JR ran his mouth and put a lot of faith in JJ and essentially criticized Columbus for scratching him. If Sullivan scratches him in the first year of a 5 year contract it's going to make JR look even worse. JJ has been terrible by pretty much every metric yet he continues to see ice time. I don't think I'm telling any tales out of school here.

I don't altogether blame Sullivan, either. JR is his boss, he has the power to fire him. Why would he risk making JR look bad by scratching JMFJ when he can just scratch a younger guy and not have to feel the heat?

I thought you said you knew why CBJ scratched him and that it wasn't based on his play?

I know why he'll never be scratched here.

Oh, and JR knows why Columbus scratched JJ and it wasn't because of his play. .

???

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If you are correct. Then why didn't anyone offer something better than Pearson? Hell even a 4th is better than Pearson because you take back no cap if you're Vancouver

You're acting like Pearson is a bad asset, which he's not. And that ignores the salary cap, which is why Pearson was moved in this deal.

Bad decisions are bad decisions. You don’t move a FA to be for a guy struggling with term left. I said it right after the Pearson deal, so it’s not hindsight.

The worst thing a GM can do when he is trying to build a championship roster and is always agt the cap, is to put bad long term deals in his pocket. That’s asinine decision making.

You already signed a bad deal with JJ, and now you compounded the problem when it didn’t need to happen. You can’t keep taking risks on reclamation projects with term. It’s extremely risky and bad decision making, no one on here can dance around that reality with me, sorry.

I never said it's a good move, I said it's a terrible move. I'm saying that this website absolutely lacks the knowledge to claim that any player is tradeable, because they only pay attention to their own teams. Again, I'll ask. Do people on this site think JR is an idiot and he makes moves that literally no other GMs are even in the conversation about?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
they also have toughness and heart Wilson and alex play a physical game along with speed and talent

And a defense that can transition the puck. Look at their D acquisitions the last 2 years. Kempny and Jensen. Look at ours: JJ, MP (good), and Gudbranson.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I've been watching games/shifts/lowlights etc.
Bout all you can hope for is theres some uptick in his play where he looks like the Guds from FLA.
But from what i understand he played with Campbell there and all our best PMD's are righties so the prospect of making a good pair out of Olli/JJ-Guds is...yikes.

Best partners to give him imo would be Dumo, MP or Riiko. Then hope and pray he looks like FLA Guds.

Reactions: Pens17

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
You're acting like Pearson is a bad asset, which he's not. And that ignores the salary cap, which is why Pearson was moved in this deal.

I never said it's a good move, I said it's a terrible move. I'm saying that this website absolutely lacks the knowledge to claim that any player is tradeable, because they only pay attention to their own teams. Again, I'll ask. Do people on this site think JR is an idiot and he makes moves that literally no other GMs are even in the conversation about?
Pearson is Clearly a bad asset if what he brought back was essentially 4mil in dead cap.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think you're grossly overestimating other GMs here. I think people on here completely lack the perspective to make any claims about how players are untradeable, because they're making it really obvious that they don't know how other GMs operate outside of their own.

I'm simply uneasy about adding terrible players making big money with term and hoping dumb GMs will take them off our hands without us having to take on other stupid deals. These are unforced errors that don't help us and can actively hurt us.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Dale Tallon offered Jason Demers straight up for Gudbranson 16 months ago. It only didn't happen because of Demers' NTC.

I really don't get people on here. Do people think JR is just an idiot and does moves that literally no other GM would do? This isn't justifying this move, it's a terrible move, but I really think people don't have the perspective needed to say stuff like this.

?? I'm not sure I understand your point. Tallon was interested in trading 1 poor contract for another. So how does that help JR and the Pens not suck?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Gudbranson sucked in Florida aswell.

But not as bad.

But that was basically a long time ago with how the league changed. 2015 is completely different from 2019

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
?? I'm not sure I understand your point. Tallon was interested in trading 1 poor contract for another. So how does that help JR and the Pens not suck?

Demers isn't a "poor contract", though. He was a legitimately good defenseman.

Pearson is Clearly a bad asset if what he brought back was essentially 4mil in dead cap.

Or maybe, here's another though, Gudbranson isn't viewed as $4 million in dead cap.

I'm simply uneasy about adding terrible players making big money with term and hoping dumb GMs will take them off our hands without us having to take on other stupid deals. These are unforced errors that don't help us and can actively hurt us.

Oh no, I don't disagree. I hate the deal because of that. The thing I'm arguing here is that people think JR is somehow unique in targeting guys like Gudbranson, as if there aren't a lot of other GMs who target guys like him.

He just defended signing Jack Johnson and traded for Gudbranson. So I'm leaning towards "yes".

Quite a fall from grace.

And it was rumored that Anaheim and Detroit also offered Johnson multi-year deals with a higher AAV, according to Mackey. You also ignored the real part of my question. Do you really think JR is making moves that no other GM is even in the conversation about?

Reactions: zero8771

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Is JR an idiot? Jury is out but he's clearly making idiotic trades.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

It doesn’t matter what other GMs do, it matters that JR has been in a massive rut for over a year and half, and he just made another bone head move based on the ideology that got him into this mess.

And there is ample evidence out there that moving a bad deal is never a freebie. Believing otherwise is once again head in the sand thinking.

A team with Malkin, Crosby, and Letang playing at a Norris level, along with Rust and Guentzel having career years shouldn’t be fighting for a playoff spot. That can only happen when your GM completely botches the rest of the roster and this deal shows he’s still lost...

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union

IMO, Pearson is a bad asset. Also, I am not sure if Gudbranson will be moveable, but maybe he can be. BUT I am also not sure if JR and company will be actively trying to unload Gudbranson. It takes effort, willingness and creativity to move contract like this. It´s not impossible, but I have lost all my faith in this organization and I don´t believe they will do just that. More likely, he is gonna be here longer. IMO, we can see the direction and pattern with JR and that is scary. I am not sure how you can be confident in what he can do and that he will solve this mess.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Maybe. Or maybe Rutherford was a crazy man doing crazy trades. Pearson's one bad season removed from being a great asset. I feel reasonably sure Rutherford could have got better value for him if he wanted.

Also, having looked at Vancouver's wingers, I can totally see them preferring to take a punt on Pearson then whoever they could overpay to sign in free agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad