Confirmed with Link: Pearson For Gubranson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
This was in reply to someone saying the Gudbranson contract wasn't immovable, the Penguins would just have to add on top of Gudbranson to move him. My point was that JR isn't unique with how he runs teams, because there are multiple GMs that do the same moves that he does. This is me saying "the Penguins can trade Gudbranson without adding to him". I'm accusing people here of not knowing nearly enough about other GMs to claim that a contract is immovable or the Penguins would have to add to get a team to take Gudbranson. That was the entire point of my posts, that they can trade Gudbranson if they wanted to.

Can they trade Gudbranson without adding and without taking on yet another shitty deal? And why take that chance for a terrible player in the first place?

That's kind of the point.

LittleSpoon

Jan 17, 2016
I just find it hilarious how panicked everyone is. Was not a good trade, but players are human and are subject to change in different environments. And he didnt make the defense worse, he is just covering for injuries. If he sucks during replacement time then he will be scratched when we are healthy. If he is some hilarious locker room guy, then its possible that that alone helps guys enjoy their time at the rink a bit more. Ya never know how a trade turns out, even bad ones, so lets just give it at least a game before bashing this guy into the ground. I feel bad for the guy getting traded here, and having to hear non stop bashing before even lacing up.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
As for being able to move him in the offseason, I think it can be done (if JR wants to but seeing how pumped he sounded about Gudbranson, I doubt he moves him that early) but he will have to take back money in the deal.

Which is a bummer as we need to shed salary.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I just find it hilarious how panicked everyone is. Was not a good trade, but players are human and are subject to change in different environments. And he didnt make the defense worse, he is just covering for injuries. If he sucks during replacement time then he will be scratched when we are healthy. If he is some hilarious locker room guy, then its possible that that alone helps guys enjoy their time at the rink a bit more. Ya never know how a trade turns out, even bad ones, so lets just give it at least a game before bashing this guy into the ground. I feel bad for the guy getting traded here, and having to hear non stop bashing before even lacing up.

Just like Jack Johnson, eh?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It doesn’t matter what other GMs do, it matters that JR has made many bad decisions since the summer of 2017. How difficult is that to understand?

He’s literally made what... two decent moves in that span... Riikola and MP.

And let’s keep ignoring that we don’t have to be another teams GM to see all the trends when it comes to moving a bad deal... they aren’t free to move. We don’t have to be another teams GM to understand they aren’t going to take on a bad deal without getting an asset in return.

And here's the problem: you're projecting what you think as a fan to what other GMs think. You're projecting what you think of the Gudbranson deal to what other GMs think. It's the same thing I argue on the trade board whenever people try to play GM there. The fact that guys like Johnson and Alzner get huge contracts in free agency, or that guys like Gudbranson and Scandella constantly get traded for value, really shows that there's a stark difference for how GMs view these kind of players and how fans view these players. Fans just seemingly can't grasp that. I disagree with fans when they speak in absolutes about situations that they're not qualified to speak in absolutes about.

This isn't saying it's a good move. It's a move that I hate for reasons that everyone has outlined. Gudbranson is a bad player in my eyes. The problem is that I'm not other GMs. If all GMs agreed with me, Gudbranson wouldn't be in the NHL. Jack Johnson wouldn't have gotten a 5 year deal. Again, it's a horrible move that I hate. The entire point I was arguing against was that Gudbranson was immovable or that the Penguins would have to add to trade him.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
I think that there are a lot of idiot GMs. But I also think those GMs finally become aware that a player is actually bad when everyone criticizes a trade or a signing. The trade value of bad anchor type players (who likely once were drafted high and had potential) really tanks after a trade or signing because the spotlight is on them.

LittleSpoon

Jan 17, 2016
Just like Jack Johnson, eh?
Jack Johnson hasn’t been good most games, but until the season is over I’m not going to judge the team. Reason why ya play the games. Would I bet on the pens? Nope, but I’ll reserve judgement until it’s all done, and I’ll support the team regardless, because I love the team and love the game.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
And here's the problem: you're projecting what you think as a fan to what other GMs think. You're projecting what you think of the Gudbranson deal to what other GMs think. It's the same thing I argue on the trade board whenever people try to play GM there. The fact that guys like Johnson and Alzner get huge contracts in free agency, or that guys like Gudbranson and Scandella constantly get traded for value, really shows that there's a stark difference for how GMs view these kind of players and how fans view these players. Fans just seemingly can't grasp that. I disagree with fans when they speak in absolutes about situations that they're not qualified to speak in absolutes about.

This isn't saying it's a good move. It's a move that I hate for reasons that everyone has outlined. Gudbranson is a bad player in my eyes. The problem is that I'm not other GMs. If all GMs agreed with me, Gudbranson wouldn't be in the NHL. Jack Johnson wouldn't have gotten a 5 year deal. Again, it's a horrible move that I hate. The entire point I was arguing against was that Gudbranson was immovable or that the Penguins would have to add to trade him.

Like @Will Hunting said, what makes you think JR is even capable of acknowledging that Gudbranson stinks enough to want to trade him?

The guy's still pumping JJ's tires for f***'s sake.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I hate Kunitz but he woulda solved their locker room funk (doubt CHI had him as off limits at TDL) and left over 3mil for JR to find someone who can play real defense/just call two AHL guys up.

Is it that hard to not f*** this up like JR just did??

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Can they trade Gudbranson without adding and without taking on yet another ****ty deal? And why take that chance for a terrible player in the first place?

That's kind of the point.

Until they show that they can't, I'm not going to assume that they can't. Just like I'm not going to assume Gudbranson is here beyond July 1st when it seems really clear to me that he was only acquired because Letang and Dumoulin got hurt.

Reactions: 3ladesof5teel

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Jack Johnson hasn’t been good most games, but until the season is over I’m not going to judge the team. Reason why ya play the games. Would I bet on the pens? Nope, but I’ll reserve judgement until it’s all done, and I’ll support the team regardless, because I love the team and love the game.

But we can judge the player. He's garbage and has not been scratched once.

So the idea that we'll simply scratch EG if he's terrible doesn't have any basis in reality. We'll clearly let a defenseman shit the bed night after night.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Like @Will Hunting said, what makes you think JR is even capable of acknowledging that Gudbranson stinks enough to want to trade him?

The guy's still pumping JJ's tires for ****'s sake.

That is what I'm scared about. I'm not scared about JR's ability to trade him, I'm absolutely confident he can trade him. Especially in the context of Dale Tallon still being a GM in the NHL. What I'm scared about is that JR doesn't want to trade Gudbranson. It doesn't make any sense to me for why he'd think that, but again, I'm not JR.

Reactions: JackFr

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Until they show that they can't, I'm not going to assume that they can't. Just like I'm not going to assume Gudbranson is here beyond July 1st when it seems really clear to me that he was only acquired because Letang and Dumoulin got hurt.

I'm going to assume that the Pens front office doesn't have a hot clue when it comes to evaluating what will help this defense, and there's a lot to support that assumption.

Reactions: BHD

LittleSpoon

Jan 17, 2016
But we can judge the player. He's garbage and has not been scratched once.

So the idea that we'll simply scratch EG if he's terrible doesn't have any basis in reality. We'll clearly let a defenseman **** the bed night after night.
I believe he will be scratched because the amount of defenseman we have will dictate it. I don’t see them scratching MP instead.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
As @The Greatest 101 said, he could have had Ian Cole (whose underlying numbers are still very good), but he talked to the media too much or something. Not that there's any evidence of saying anything remotely controversial.

Now we have big lummoxes on defense who don't say anything controversial, they just need a little help remembering which way to hold their sticks.

I buy that he didn’t like Ian Cole. However, I disagree with the rest of your post. I think you’re lumping the Gudbranson and Cole moves together because you’re frustrated with basically everything management has done over the past 2 years. And I don’t blame you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce