Confirmed with Link: Pearson For Gubranson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anita L

Jan 29, 2019
All you fans ripping on Gubrandson will be jumping for joy the first time he lays out an opponent sends him on IR.... me I can't wait for it GO GUB'S

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Come on, we all know why JJ is never a scratch. JR ran his mouth and put a lot of faith in JJ and essentially criticized Columbus for scratching him. If Sullivan scratches him in the first year of a 5 year contract it's going to make JR look even worse. JJ has been terrible by pretty much every metric yet he continues to see ice time. I don't think I'm telling any tales out of school here.

I don't altogether blame Sullivan, either. JR is his boss, he has the power to fire him. Why would he risk making JR look bad by scratching JMFJ when he can just scratch a younger guy and not have to feel the heat?

Plus if that's what JR (or whoever) wants, sure, Sullivan can still scratch him, but it creates a rift between the decision-makers in the org. It's easy to say Sullivan is the coach and he can do whatever he wants, but that's not always the case without causing problems. I'm not saying definitively who wants what, I'm just saying that there are multiple egos involved and you can't have a GM and coach doing completely different things every time they disagree with each other.

PS: I really am not trying to make waves, and I'm sure that this was discussed here when JJ was signed, but is it impossible that Sid had more to do with JJ's contract than anyone else? We could've easily obtained him for far less of a commitment, and his connection with Sid plus his unfortunate financial circumstances just makes one wonder.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
So let me get this right..
We trade Hags for Pearson
Hags get traded for a 3/5th from the caps
Pearson traded to Van for Gud
So Gud value is essentially 3/5th pick + 4mil in salary. WHAT A DEAL!!!

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
All you fans ripping on Gubrandson will be jumping for joy the first time he lays out an opponent sends him on IR.... me I can't wait for it GO GUB'S

I think you mean we'll be screaming for his head when he dumbly hits a player onto Murray injuring him.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Yeah, the Caps replaced some plug, whose name I don't recall, with Vrana and woe and behold, it worked. Tampa are on fire thanks to speed and skill, Vegas got to the final with tons of speed, Toronto is on the rise thanks to speed and skill and so on and so forth.

Reactions: PensandCaps

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Negatron. Minus a very short list of dirty players, I couldn't care less what happens to opposition players as long as the Pens win.

Reactions: PensandCaps

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Wrong. Just like scuderi right? And Pearson? And hunwick. Damn even people said this about letang all summer. Tell me one player that played for the pens that was untradable

Mostly every contract is moveable, but people can’t keep putting their heads in the sand over this issue and ignoring it will cost assets to be rid of these deals.

Hunwick cost Sheary to be rid of his deal, Pearson brought back an even worse contract, and Scuds was a lucky deal for JR. However, that deal caused the Hawks problems when they tried to be rid of Scuds contract and had to retain half of his money. That dead money was a factor that forced them to move on from a guy like Teravainen.

JR once again had an ideal situation with Hags on an expiring deal and turned it into two bad contracts within a few months.

That’s simply bad decision making no matter how hard people try to gloss over it.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
He’s youngish, has a Cup ring and was on a 16 goal pace as a Pen. We could’ve flipped him for a pick at the draft.
This is what I went to bed thinking about. Pretty much the only way to f*** up this trade deadline was to take on more cap at term since we have some roster fine tuning to do this offseason. JR should have been able to trade Pearson for a pick if they absolutely had to get rid of him. Or trade him for someone a lot cheaper, or a UFA.

This move is neither an "all in" move or a trade to utilize the roster and assets. It's a trade just to trade.

Anita L

Jan 29, 2019
you people are missing the point you other than just speed and skill you need a supporting cast the caps the lightning the have that just look at NYI explain that one

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
This. In isolation, its a bad trade with a possible glimmer of hope as to whether he can get back to being the player he was in Tallon's Florida, and a glum realisation that this will probably not be the case and even if he does he isn't really a player cut out to thrive here.

The real anger is about Rutherford's moves as a whole. This is the straw that broke the camel's back.
Completely agree. And JR's recent defense of JJ, after we gave him a ton of rope on that move, is just icing on the cake. The terrible player evaluations and errors are proving to be the norm.

I'll be watching, hoping to God that Gud proves us wrong.

Reactions: illusory and Peat

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Mostly every contract is moveable, but people can’t keep putting their heads in the sand over this issue and ignoring it will cost assets to be rid of these deals.

Dale Tallon offered Jason Demers straight up for Gudbranson 16 months ago. It only didn't happen because of Demers' NTC.

I really don't get people on here. Do people think JR is just an idiot and does moves that literally no other GM would do? This isn't justifying this move, it's a terrible move, but I really think people don't have the perspective needed to say stuff like this.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
you people are missing the point you other than just speed and skill you need a supporting cast the caps the lightning the have that just look at NYI explain that one

After you explain how we won two Cups in the last four years without any Gudbransons.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
This isn't a homer mentality. I dont like this trade. I don't think it's a good trade.

I do however think most of the responses here are incredibly dramatic from a bunch of people who at least some of them have never seen him play and certainly have never seen him play in a pens uniform
We have to hear this crap after every signing or trade JR makes; it’s fine, we can just trade x player or buy them out!

I’m tired of hearing this blind defense. Stop acquiring players that will likely need to be traded or bought out.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

See this clip? This is why Gudbranson is statistically one of, if not the, worst defenseman in the league and why Rutherford didn't have anything good to say about him except his personality. And he makes 4 mil per for the next 2 years.

No team needs that.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Dale Tallon offered Jason Demers straight up for Gudbranson 16 months ago. It only didn't happen because of Demers' NTC.

I really don't get people on here. Do people think JR is just an idiot and does moves that literally no other GM would do? This isn't justifying this move, it's a terrible move, but I really think people don't have the perspective needed to say stuff like this.

I don't imagine 16 months of shit play helps a player's value.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Huh?

Gudbranson is not supporting cast.

He's an ECHL player

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't imagine 16 months of **** play helps a player's value.

Do you want me to pull up January of 2019 then, where Tallon was again trying to acquire Gudbranson?

Seriously, what is it with this site? Do people just think JR is an idiot? Do people think JR does moves that no other GMs would make? Because that's really the vibe I get, people on this site think JR is alone on the moves he makes while no other GM would even think about making those moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad