Value of: Pearson 50% retained to the Leafs

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
All I will say about TO and not wanting to give up a 1st, this is your year to do it...your not in your normal division and most of the teams in Canada suck compared to the rest of the league.

This is your year to go for it, pay up the assets to improve your team. As it stands right now I would consider your season a failure if you can't reach the conference finals, based on the Division.

I mean my Canucks beat the defending Cup Champs and took Vegas to game 7 in round 2 with a young G standing on its head all while the coach stood behind the bench not knowing what to do strategy wise...Breaking News he still doesn't!

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
All I will say about TO and not wanting to give up a 1st, this is your year to do it...your not in your normal division and most of the teams in Canada suck compared to the rest of the league.

This is your year to go for it, pay up the assets to improve your team. As it stands right now I would consider your season a failure if you can't reach the conference finals, based on the Division.

I mean my Canucks beat the defending Cup Champs and took Vegas to game 7 in round 2 with a young G standing on its head all while the coach stood behind the bench not knowing what to do strategy wise...Breaking News he still doesn't!
The Leafs can improve without overpaying or wasting assets on rentals. It's not mutually exclusive that they either a) use the 1st rounder in trade or b) don't improve at all. Pearson is not fetching a 1st as a rental (9pts in 22GP) with tons of options on the market (e.g. Granlund, Bennett, Iafallo, Palmieri, etc.). Wouldn't mind him, but it has to be in the range of a mid-late 2nd + B/C prospect. Coleman and Goodrow fetched those returns because of the term on their contracts, and yes, that makes a huge difference.

Dubas is known for his mantra of exploiting market inefficiencies so I could see him viewing this draft (limited GP for most of the eligible prospects) as a chance to score on a sleeper late-1st with limited exposure. I'd bet he holds that pick, it will be a complete crap shoot. He also rarely acquires pure rentals.

Thorvat

Jul 8, 2018
Pearson for a 1st is hilarious.

He was traded for Hagelin and Gudbranson previously.
A 1st from the leafs could end up basically being a high 2nd. The leafs are currently 1st overall in the standings. A 2nd would be essentially like a 3rd.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I have been on the Tanner Pearson to Toronto bus for a while, hell I'm driving that bus, I also have no issue giving up the 2021 1st rounder, in fact I would prefer it's traded.

But if the 2021 1st rounder is traded it's got to be for the right guy.

Tanner Pearson is not that guy, you do not give up a 1st round pick for Tanner Pearson, unless that 1st round pick is conditional on the Leafs winning the cup because if they do that then nobody will care about a 1st round pick.

Beyond that condition a 1st round pick is to much for Tanner Pearson

Reactions: Peen

Cquant

May 14, 2015
Any interest in Pearson + Virtanen as a package? (Assuming we can figure how to keep the cap exchange neutral)

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

I think Toronto is willing to give up a first this year. Not for Pearson though.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009

It wasn't just Pearson, it was Pearson with retention. So Pearson is worth a 2nd + and the retention increases that to 2 x 2nds or a 2nd + prospect or a 1st.

Reactions: zcaptain

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna

There is a long list of 1st round picks or former 1sts who were young getting dealt for aging vets to try and go on a playoff run.

Martin Erat, Paul Gaustad are 2 examples

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Yeah, trades made almost a decade ago are good examples.

okay, so 1 extra year of term is okay to trade a 1st for

Goodrow- career high 24 pts in a season
Coleman- career high of 36pts in a season

Vs.

Pearson who has 1 36pt season and 3 other 40pt plus seasons, 2 seasons with over 20G also

Pearson has a much better resume than either above player, also if a team trades for him they have until FA opens to get him signed to a new deal if the team and player are open for it.

We don't agree, which is fine

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
It wasn't just Pearson, it was Pearson with retention. So Pearson is worth a 2nd + and the retention increases that to 2 x 2nds or a 2nd + prospect or a 1st.
Agreed, And a few of these had the Nucks taking Vesey back for salary purposes.
If Pearson is worth a 2nd,
then add more for retention value
then add more for agreeing to take Vesey.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
okay, so 1 extra year of term is okay to trade a 1st for

Goodrow- career high 24 pts in a season
Coleman- career high of 36pts in a season

Vs.

Pearson who has 1 36pt season and 3 other 40pt plus seasons, 2 seasons with over 20G also

Pearson has a much better resume than either above player, also if a team trades for him they have until FA opens to get him signed to a new deal if the team and player are open for it.

We don't agree, which is fine

Coleman and Goodrow are completely different skill sets. Nobody is bringing in Pearson to build a third line around.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Cirelli was their second line center.
After injuries, when the trade was made Cirelli was their 3rd line C. Goodrow and Coleman weren't traded for to build a third line around. They were improvements to what the Lightning had. They were correcting a weakness. Big difference. It's okay you can admit you're wrong, no one will think less of you.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
After injuries, when the trade was made Cirelli was their 3rd line C. Goodrow and Coleman weren't traded for to build a third line around. They were improvements to what the Lightning had. They were correcting a weakness. Big difference. It's okay you can admit you're wrong, no one will think less of you.

Tampa Bay Lightning at Vegas Golden Knights Box Score — February 20, 2020 | Hockey-Reference.com

Weird how the game prior and after acquiring Coleman, Cirelli player 18-19 minutes. But I guess that’s a 3C in the same weird world where Tanner Pearson returns a 1st rounder.

VanOriginal

Jun 15, 2019
As a Canuck fan I'd love to get a 1st for Pearson but there is not team giving that for him, unless a GM drunk dials JB and offers that.
The trade and price paid for Toffoli last year happened before the C19 lock down, talks were the cap going up to around 84 to 85 mill for this season. The intent was to re-sign Toffoli but who knew at that time that this thing was gonna happen and keep the Cap stagnant for 3 years. If that trade happened after the lock down and GMs knew that the cap wasn't going up, the Kings wouldn't have gotten a 2nd and Madden.
As for this proposed trade Pearson at 50% could get a 2nd and if the Canucks took back a player ie: Vesey maybe a prospect as Hallander, Abramov or Niemela

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Pearson 50% retained + Chatfield for Liljegren, a 2nd and salary dump (Vesey?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad