Value of: Pearson 50% retained to the Leafs

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
TO apparently looking for a LW, why not bring home another local kid in Tanner Pearson?

He is in the final year of his contract with a cap hit of 3.75m so if we retain 50% the cap hit would be like 1m for TO for the remainder of the year or something?

Canucks do NOT need a LHD, so please don't offer Dermott.

Canucks would be interested in high draft picks, Liljegren would be of interest as he is a RHD but I know TO fans have his value high and a cheap ELC for the team going forward.

Makes too much sense for TO to load up this year seeing how they are in a weak division and should win at least a round or 2 seeing how weak the division they play in is.

I see Kerfoot is producing well, has be been moved to the wing and been playing top 6 or is he just having a solid start to the season and playing #3C?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Kerfoot has been playing 3C, and doing really well, though played last night on the wing to help try and get that 2nd line going. We want to keep him at C, hence us looking for a winger, or so the speculation says.

Tanner Pearson is an intriguing option and would require retention to even be an option, but Liljegren won't be on the table for a player like him.

Interesting player, may be a good fit. However, the value would be every hard to judge and come to terms.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
TO apparently looking for a LW, why not bring home another local kid in Tanner Pearson?

He is in the final year of his contract with a cap hit of 3.75m so if we retain 50% the cap hit would be like 1m for TO for the remainder of the year or something?

Canucks do NOT need a LHD, so please don't offer Dermott.

Canucks would be interested in high draft picks, Liljegren would be of interest as he is a RHD but I know TO fans have his value high and a cheap ELC for the team going forward.

Makes too much sense for TO to load up this year seeing how they are in a weak division and should win at least a round or 2 seeing how weak the division they play in is.

I see Kerfoot is producing well, has be been moved to the wing and been playing top 6 or is he just having a solid start to the season and playing #3C?

Presently he's LW with JT and Nylander. I think we are show casing him so that we can turn his 4mil Cap hit into a #2 LW (ideally one who could PK) and a physical, defensive minded #3C.

We need an elite penalty killer badly. That is our most glaring issue right now.

Reactions: Ciao

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Presently he's LW with JT and Nylander. I think we are show casing him so that we can turn his 4mil Cap hit into a #2 LW (ideally one who could PK) and a physical, defensive minded #3C.

We need an elite penalty killer badly. That is our most glaring issue right now.

We have an expiring Sutter we can retain on, but he is not physical but he is a good face off guy and solid PKer too.

I would be open to taking Kerfoot back to take over for Sutter as the #3C, but that is 3.5m on the books going forward with us not sending any contracts out that go past this year so...don't see it being my ideal choice unless we send a player with at least another year on his deal back for him

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
We have an expiring Sutter we can retain on, but he is not physical but he is a good face off guy and solid PKer too.

I would be open to taking Kerfoot back to take over for Sutter as the #3C, but that is 3.5m on the books going forward with us not sending any contracts out that go past this year so...don't see it being my ideal choice unless we send a player with at least another year on his deal back for him

You could always flip Kerfoot if you did not want him. We are a bad trade partner because we are so tight against the cap and expansion is coming.

Best I could suggest is Sutter and Pearson, both %50 retained for Kerfoot+pick+prospect not top 4. I'm not much of a trade guy so I won't get into details.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Tofolli got a 2nd and prospect last year. Seems a 1st rounder is too high?
Toffoli for a 2nd and a prospect would have been a strong trade for the Canucks if they chose to re-sign Toffoli (which they should have done).

Leafs wouldn't be able to re-sign Pearson and he isn't good enough to push them over the top. I don't think it's a good move from the Leafs point of view (unless the return from Toronto was much less than what is being proposed).

Reactions: LFCTML

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Toffoli for a 2nd and a prospect would have been a strong trade for the Canucks if they chose to re-sign Toffoli (which they should have done).

Leafs wouldn't be able to re-sign Pearson and he isn't good enough to push them over the top. I don't think it's a good move from the Leafs point of view (unless the return from Toronto was much less than what is being proposed).

Agreed.
For the Leafs I cannot imagine them giving up a 1st rounder unless there is intent to resign the player long term.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Agreed.
For the Leafs I cannot imagine them giving up a 1st rounder unless there is intent to resign the player long term.
This has been Dubas’ best accomplishment as leafs gm. They have maintained a strong prospect pool while maintaining a strong roster. Sometimes you have to trade away draft picks and prospects to fill immediate needs. He has done a good job of maintaining balance.

Reactions: LFCTML and Petrus

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Tofolli got a 2nd and prospect last year. Seems a 1st rounder is too high?
Madden was thought to be fairly equivalent to a 1st. At worst it was 2 2nds, Pearson is worth around a 1st easily. Especially if we retain 50%, or take back and expiring dumb to balance the books.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I've repeated this a few times, and I think it is a fair flow chart here.

Pearson for a second.

Pearson retained to 50% for a second and either another second or an equivalent prospect/player with a single year left on his contract (not Dermott).

Pearson retained to 50% for a 1st and a multi year cap dump, equal to or less than Pearson's 50% cap hit of 1.875 million a season.

Nothing to do with my chart, but I simply don't care for Kerfoot at all as an asset. For his cap hit, we should just keep trying to kickstart Gaudette this season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If the Canucks appear to be outside the playoffs then they should move him for futures. Whether that’s a prospect or a draft pick. Retention is not a problem to drop his cap hit down.

Figure for a draft pick it would be a second rounder.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
If we're trading a 1st, it's not for a rental and it's not for Pearson.

NewsFlash: Unfortunately when your a team looking to improve and make a playoff run you overpay for almost any addition you make.

A 1st might be a bit high, but it will also be a very late 1st. Maybe TO gets to speak to Pearson and his agent to gauge interest/$$$ on a contract extension.

Pearson should fetch a 2nd and prospect like the Toffoli trade as mentioned. I never would have thought Blake Coleman or Goodrow would fetch 1st round picks, yes they had an additional year but they returned 1 st and a former 1st round pick in Foote.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad