Value of: Pearson 50% retained to the Leafs

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I would have some interest in Pearson and the cost here doesn’t seem prohibitive. I would think a second and a prospect with some retention would be fair.

A 3rd line with Pearson and Hyman on it would drive other teams insane in a playoff series. And both of them are capable of moving up the lineup if there are injuries or if the team needs a shake up.

I would still want to see the team add another forward to like Granlund in that scenario but I think this could be a good year to go for it. Even just making a deep run in the playoffs to the conference finals or getting to the finals would be good for the development of our young players.
I’m not saying completely empty the cupboards but this year’s picks and 1 or 2 of our top prospects shouldn’t be off the table for the right players

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Vesey would be strictly for cap purposes but could easily fill in if Vancouver knows they aren't competing.

Okay, I would still want something else back via prospect or mid round pick. Canucks have too many F as is right now with a couple guys in the A that could get a cup of coffee near the end of the year.

Don't think Vesey holds much value at the TDL for us to flip, but could be wrong

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Tofolli got a 2nd and prospect last year. Seems a 1st rounder is too high?
A second and a highly regarded prospect. That definitely has the value of a 1st, also no retention on Tofolli so that needs to be accounted for.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Someone wants to give up a 1st for Pearson?

I'll buy his plane ticket and drive him to the airport.
I’m not buying his plane ticket or wasting gas. My monetary support of the Canucks has been turned off for years now. Unless Benning is gone and a better gm made the trade. Then if you busy that day, I got you covered.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
To Toronto
Tanner Pearson (retained to the difference for Engvall)

To
Vancouver
Pierre Engvall
2nd round pick

What you guys think? I think Engvall is cheap and fits into your bottom 6, while the 2nd is the assett you want.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
To Toronto
Tanner Pearson (retained to the difference for Engvall)

To
Vancouver
Pierre Engvall
2nd round pick

What you guys think? I think Engvall is cheap and fits into your bottom 6, while the 2nd is the assett you want.
A late 2nd and retention - not a great return to be honest. The Canucks have bottom 6 wingers and of our prospects, we have more depth at wing than anywhere so Engvall has zero value. If it’s 11:59 on trade deadline day, I would consider it but I would look elsewhere for as long as possible if that’s the return.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Pearson for a 2nd seems fair. If Toronto is after an elite pk guy you’d be surprised to know 2 of the better ones would cost pretty much nothing being Sheahan out of Buffalo or Kharia out of Edmonton. Kharia already passed waivers too so he could be placed on the taxi squad.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
A late 2nd and retention - not a great return to be honest. The Canucks have bottom 6 wingers and of our prospects, we have more depth at wing than anywhere so Engvall has zero value. If it’s 11:59 on trade deadline day, I would consider it but I would look elsewhere for as long as possible if that’s the return.

I've got no problem with you looking elsewhere, it's not as if I'm offering some crazy deal... I'd probably be willing to throw in a decent prospect along with the pick, maybe a Hallander?

To Vancouver
Hallander or Hirvonen
2nd round pick
Engvall (for money)

To Toronto
Pearson (retained)

Thoughts? That's essentially two 2nds and capable roster player.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Not disagreeing with your opinion, but you kind of hope that a late 1st will develop into a player like Pearson. The odds are more in line with drafting a bust than an NHL player.

This is correct. The issue to Toronto fans regarding the 1st round pick isn't that Pearson isn't a capable player. The issue is that he's not locked up for term, they have similar financial issues as the Canucks, and therefore, he'd be very hard to extend... So essentially, we'd be giving the Canucks a quality asset (a late 1st round pick) for half a season of Tanner Pearson, then losing the asset to free agency / expansion. That's poor asset management for a team who needs a constant infusion of cheap, young talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ciao

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I've got no problem with you looking elsewhere, it's not as if I'm offering some crazy deal... I'd probably be willing to throw in a decent prospect along with the pick, maybe a Hallander?

To Vancouver
Hallander or Hirvonen
2nd round pick
Engvall (for money)

To Toronto
Pearson (retained)

Thoughts? That's essentially two 2nds and capable roster player.
That would be a deal I would be fine with. I also have zero faith in Benning so I could see him trading Pearson at 50% and a 2nd for Marincin.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
That would be a deal I would be fine with. I also have zero faith in Benning so I could see him trading Pearson at 50% and a 2nd for Marincin.

I swear to God I will piggy back Marincin to Vancouver if Benning does something like that lol.

On a semi-serious note, I think we're on a similar page regarding Pearson's value.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I swear to God I will piggy back Marincin to Vancouver if Benning does something like that lol.

On a semi-serious note, I think we're on a similar page regarding Pearson's value.
Hopefully you’d be free to piggy back Benning back to Ontario with you on your trip home. I also agree we’re pretty much at the same place for value. As a Canuck fan I want the best return and any team potentially adding him will be looking to give up the least possible. But 2nd + seems like fair value

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Hopefully you’d be free to piggy back Benning back to Ontario with you on your trip home. I also agree we’re pretty much at the same place for value. As a Canuck fan I want the best return and any team potentially adding him will be looking to give up the least possible. But 2nd + seems like fair value

Pettersson + Hughes for the Benning piggy back... I really can't bring myself to do it for any less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad