Value of: Pearson 50% retained to the Leafs

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Could Liljegren be part of a deal to bring in a top 6 forward? sure

would it be for a guy that isnt playing very well and hasnt topped 45pts in his career? no

cant see the leafs offering up more than say Engvall+2nd

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
NewsFlash: Unfortunately when your a team looking to improve and make a playoff run you overpay for almost any addition you make.

A 1st might be a bit high, but it will also be a very late 1st. Maybe TO gets to speak to Pearson and his agent to gauge interest/$$$ on a contract extension.

Pearson should fetch a 2nd and prospect like the Toffoli trade as mentioned. I never would have thought Blake Coleman or Goodrow would fetch 1st round picks, yes they had an additional year but they returned 1 st and a former 1st round pick in Foote.

you literally just explained away the point you were trying to make

Toffoli is better than pearson so theres a pretty good idea of value
Coleman and Goodrow arent expiring contracts, so not a good comparable

2nd + meh piece (Engvall/Vesey/B prospect) is probably fair value for a couple months of a dude that only has 9pts in 22 games

Reactions: Peen

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
The x-factor that could inflate the value any Canadian team player available at the deadline—is that they don't have to quarantine the same length of time to join another Canadian team as a player from a US team would.

Reactions: elitepete

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Don't see how Pearson cap math works for Toronto even at 50% unless:
- A $1.5m+ contract is dumped, or
- Maybe if Campbell or Simmonds are out the entire season on LTIR, but reports don't suggest that.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
The Leafs don't have much in the way of contracts to dump.

Maybe Kerfoot -- but he plays a role and isn't really a dump.

There isn't much left on the table for the guys that make less than that. They're mainly minimal salaries for marginal players. Not much to gain cap-wise by trading any of them.

I'm still shaking my head at the guy who asked about trading Spezza @BigFatCat999 -- on a league-minimum salary -- as a cap dump. Go figure.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Ok....here is what i got

Pearson for the 2021 - 2nd which turn into a 2021 - 1st if the Leafs get to the finals

and an additional 2022 - 4th for the 50% retention

I think this proves out historically, as fair for a 2nd line player

ShortSideFlick

Nov 2, 2011
Agreed, And a few of these had the Nucks taking Vesey back for salary purposes.
If Pearson is worth a 2nd,
then add more for retention value
then add more for agreeing to take Vesey.

It's hilarious that you think a selling team gets to charge a contender more for taking back an expiring 900k deal in a salary cap league. What you've laid has the Canucks already charging the Leafs for everything above the cap they are absorbing (retention), they can dump up to the cap they absorb in expiring deals without having to "add more". That's how these deal work...

Edit: In fact... the leafs could argue to reduce the price/reduce the cost of the retention, since they are absorbing more 975k more cap than they are sending out. Even with retention The Canucks are actually gaining cap space in this deal and the leafs are losing cap space. Regardless, the leafs can afford to just bury Vesey, which would mean an even lower cost since the leafs would essentially be taking 1.875m cap and not sending any back.

Last edited:

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Could Liljegren be part of a deal to bring in a top 6 forward? sure

would it be for a guy that isnt playing very well and hasnt topped 45pts in his career? no

cant see the leafs offering up more than say Engvall+2nd
Canucks accept.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I just noticed his Cap hit. I'm not sure we could take him even at 50%. It gets tricky as the schedule rolls and cap% changes but is this even mathematically possible?

Marner4Life

Feb 12, 2019
You can keep Pearson. He’s worth a 3rd with 50% retention. You can also have Kerfoot. He and Nylander are probably the two softest players in the league. There must be some stat that track physical play or turn overs because of not engaging in physical play.

Reactions: Space umpire

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I think you are underestimating his value especially considering Pearson wouldn't have to quarantine given he is already in Canada. Any player acquired from a US team will.
He's worth a 3rd. Lucky to get a 2nd. If he gets a 1st it will be through some creative trade, where VAN send back a 2nd round pick for example.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
It wasn't just Pearson, it was Pearson with retention. So Pearson is worth a 2nd + and the retention increases that to 2 x 2nds or a 2nd + prospect or a 1st.
I would say retention increases his value to a 2nd from a 3rd

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I would say retention increases his value to a 2nd from a 3rd
No I think Pearson gets a 2nd with no retention. Toffoli was a 2nd + Madden, Pearson would be a 2nd, or potentially even a 2nd + if there are more than 1 team looking at him

Reactions: Cogburn

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
No I think Pearson gets a 2nd with no retention. Toffoli was a 2nd + Madden, Pearson would be a 2nd, or potentially even a 2nd + if there are more than 1 team looking at him

If anyone wants to pay less, they can try to conjure a top six forward out of thin air elsewhere.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
You paid less for Toffoli rofl
The ask for Toffoli was a 1st. Since the Canucks had their 1st spoken for in the Miller trade LA took a 2nd + Madden. Maybe you don't know who the prospect is but he had a very good season in NCAA and the 2 assets combined was worth more than the 28th pick. Not sure why you would roll around on the floor either - maybe you have other issues?

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
The ask for Toffoli was a 1st. Since the Canucks had their 1st spoken for in the Miller trade LA took a 2nd + Madden. Maybe you don't know who the prospect is but he had a very good season in NCAA and the 2 assets combined was worth more than the 28th pick. Not sure why you would roll around on the floor either - maybe you have other issues?

Lol there's not a single Kings fan who wouldn't take a mid 20s first over what they ended up getting. And Pearson is half the player Toffoli is. He was a cap dump until rounding into mid 6 tweener form recently

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Lol there's not a single Kings fan who wouldn't take a mid 20s first over what they ended up getting. And Pearson is half the player Toffoli is. He was a cap dump until rounding into mid 6 tweener form recently
okay its other issues. Thanks for the response.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I'm not the one asking for a 1st for Tanner Pearson. But if I was I'd probably confuse myself with other people too so I can see where you're coming from.
your entire response indicates someone that wants to argue and didn't look at what Toffoli was prior to being traded to the Canucks. I never said I thought Pearson was worth a 1st, I did state if teams wanted the Canucks to retain 50% and include a cap dump the price would go up to the equivalent of a 1st - whether that be 2 x 2nds or a 2nd + prospect or a late 1st. Toffoli had a 13 goal, 34 point season prior to being traded. He was definitely not twice the player Pearson is. Yes he has rebounded great but he wasn't traded after going off in Montreal. So this ill-informed confrontational posting seems to indicate there are other issues.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
your entire response indicates someone that wants to argue and didn't look at what Toffoli was prior to being traded to the Canucks. I never said I thought Pearson was worth a 1st, I did state if teams wanted the Canucks to retain 50% and include a cap dump the price would go up to the equivalent of a 1st - whether that be 2 x 2nds or a 2nd + prospect or a late 1st. Toffoli had a 13 goal, 34 point season prior to being traded. He was definitely not twice the player Pearson is. Yes he has rebounded great but he wasn't traded after going off in Montreal. So this ill-informed confrontational posting seems to indicate there are other issues.

Ok, makes sense. You're neuroatypical and projecting heavily. I will clarify that I was not actually physically on the "rolling on the floor laughing" and "twice the player" does not mean 2.00x worth in hockey player units and leave it at that. Good luck making it through the world bro hopefully you learn to pick up on social cues and not take everything literally, makes life a lot easier

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Ok, makes sense. You're neuroatypical and projecting heavily. I will clarify that I was not actually physically on the "rolling on the floor laughing" and "twice the player" does not mean 2.00x worth in hockey player units and leave it at that. Good luck making it through the world bro hopefully you learn to pick up on social cues and not take everything literally, makes life a lot easier
Someone took psych 101 at community college

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad