Peak Modano-Forsberg-Bure vs. Zetterberg-Malkin-Kane for a playoff run

Who would you take for your teams top line?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I can't speak for anyone else, but just because we (I'm assuming you are because you're talking like it) were old enough to watch/understand in the 90s doesn't mean much. It's not like we watched every game of every player. I mean it's not like anyone here "follows" every current great player either. I'd be willing to bet that the majority of us watch our fav team, maybe a few "big" games league wide and then rely on highlights for every other player/team. And back then it was 10x harder to "follow careers". I mean there was no internet influence like today, no access to gamecenter or whatever. It was basically highlights on TV, going live or reading the paper which really isn't any different from watching highlights on YouTube, it's actually worse because if you missed it in the moment you missed it. So I don't understand this thinking.
It’s more people basing their opinion and assumptions on players that they never watched or just watched YouTube clips of and forming an opinion that way.

I mean, I don’t think either of these lines would dominate one another. But some do, I just feel those that say that didn’t watch the 90s duo.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
You really should take a look at Pittsburgh’s player statistics during the 2009 run. Secondary scoring showed up at the great time, but Malkin and Crosby completely carried the load like no other duos did in this century. We can all cherrypick stats to show how secondary scoring made a team win important games, but it doesn’t change the fact that this secondary scoring has been pretty meh during the rest of the run. I’m not sure if insecurity would be the right word to describe the situation :laugh:

Forsberg had a point on 50% of his teams goals one playoff run after 3 rounds (while missing a game), IIRC only Gretzky had done that.

Last edited:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Are you able to enlighten us by what metrics?

Pens 2009
Crosby was in on 39% of goals.
Malkin was in on 46% of goals.
Either one was in on 69% of goals.
They played all teams games.

Avs 2002
Sakic was in on 35% of goals.
Forsberg was in on 50% of goals.
Either one was in on 69% of goals.
Forsberg missed 1 team game.

Another way to look at it could be since the 95-lockout GWG in the playoffs:
1st. Sakic 19
4th. Forsberg 14
13th Malking 12
30th Crosby 9

Considering Forsberg is the only of the lot to even have a game-winner in game 7's I'd say he stacks up OK, individually.

I didn't realize Forsberg missed a game in 2002 and still managed that.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
Forsberg lead the playoffs twice without competing in the final round.....why is that so unclear to you? Is that really THAT hard to understand and process? I understand they both did, my point is they still made the finals and then Malkin ultimately ended up first overall. Whether or not they would have IF they never made the finals is something that doesn’t matter....why? Because it didn’t happen. But you enjoy making arguments out of things that didn’t happen.

Forsberg lead his team in scoring that series, and against a juggernaut of a team....while Crosby and Malkin had Carolina.....once again you providing more evidence that you have no clue what your talking about. It’s actually pretty outstanding that he did and it’s rarely happened. It just further shows how dominant of a playoff performer he truly was.

Your right, YouTube is totally a great resource for hockey history. Some of us actually watched and followed careers, while you sat by 10-20 years later watching YouTube clips. Basically the same thing....

it is very clear to me, i don't see why forsberg seems to get bonus points because his team wasn't good enough to get to the finals, he was so "clutch" in game 7 he scored... 0 points

the 2002 wings were old, they were a juggernaut on paper and the pens swept carolina so once again you penalize the pens duo for no good reason

name a better resource for hockey history than youtube, and as kooznetsoff said you had much less access to watch teams back then compared to now, what is wrong with watching the old videos and seeing all of their full career stats? i can watch full games from decades ago as if it's live right now, rather than using my old memory and nostalgia to cloud my judgment

besides i was old enough to watch 90's hockey live, i loved watching the avs back then especially sakic, forsberg was great but he's no malkin

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Bure was my favourite player by a million growing up, but kane is better.

Kane>Bure
Forsberg=Malkin
Zett=modano

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Hehe, pretty sure you missed they missed 30% of the games. The point was just to further illustrate you're stating things that aren't reality. Forsberg/Sakic stood for equally large portion of their teams scoring in 2002, and clearly paced to stand for a larger amount in 2001. Even if they didn't, the hyperbolic statement of yours was rediculous. I'm sorry you struggle with the fact that not everyone share your opinion.

True. He wasn't part of the thread originally. So you would get behind Sakic = Crosby > Forsberg > Malkin? It was your logic after all, not mine.

They didn’t do it, they missed games. You can’t extrapolate their numbers if they didn’t miss those games. Sure, they did great and were extremely important to their team, but they still didn’t carry their team through an entire run as much as Crosby-Malkin did for their team in 2009. Basic stats are right in front of you and you’re ignoring them. The Avs duo was impressive in 02”, but they didn’t go to the finals. Crosby and Guentzel participated on 69% of their team’s goals last playoffs. It sure was impressive, but they only did this through 2 rounds, instead of an entire run like Crosby-Malkin in 2009. I’m not too sure what you still can’t understand about it.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Forsberg had a point on 50% of his teams goals one playoff run after 3 rounds (while missing a game), IIRC only Gretzky had done that.

Cool trivia fact. Malkin had more pts than his 4 most common linemates combined at ES that playoff run. Has anyone ever done that?

EDIT: Crosby and Guentzel had a point on 50% of their team’s goals after 2 rounds last playoffs.

Reactions: Casanova

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
it is very clear to me, i don't see why forsberg seems to get bonus points because his team wasn't good enough to get to the finals, he was so "clutch" in game 7 he scored... 0 points

the 2002 wings were old, they were a juggernaut on paper and the pens swept carolina so once again you penalize the pens duo for no good reason

name a better resource for hockey history than youtube, and as kooznetsoff said you had much less access to watch teams back then compared to now, what is wrong with watching the old videos and seeing all of their full career stats? i can watch full games from decades ago as if it's live right now, rather than using my old memory and nostalgia to cloud my judgment

besides i was old enough to watch 90's hockey live, i loved watching the avs back then especially sakic, forsberg was great but he's no malkin
It’s not giving him bonus points, it’s stating obvious facts. Your the one manipulating the reality of the situation and creating your own to better suit your agenda. All I’m saying is to say Malkin was CLEARLY better and would dominate Forsberg is just lazy arguing for someone who is bias.

Ok? Again did you see his competition compared to Malkin and Crosby? By the way no one scored in that game 7, but way to fixate on Forsberg as the soul provider of offense.

Again, your just proving more and more how little you know. I’m not saying the ‘02 Wings were the best team in hockey history, but they won the cup in a very dominant fashion. The Avs took them to 7 games, that’s how good those Av teams were. Did you even watch Forsberg? And by watch, I mean outside of Yourube highlights.

Malkin is close to Forsberg and vice versa whether you like it or not. Doesn’t mean Anything against either, but both are dominant in their own ways that obvious made them superior talents in the league. But if they ever went head to head, it would be a dog fight, but the one thing Forsberg had over Malkin was consistently being at a higher level overall, while being a lot better defensively. Malkin of course has the edge offensively and is more versital.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
People keep claiming that Crosby and Malkin led the playoffs in scoring after three rounds but are overlooking the fact that if they didn’t play in the SCF and it was Carolina in their place, guys like Eric Staal would’ve continued to accumulate points instead of being at home.

They also won the Cup because they were the best team, if the Red Wings were playing the Hurricanes, the Wings likely win and their players accumulate more points than they did against the Penguins.

Reactions: GreatGonzo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad