Peak Modano-Forsberg-Bure vs. Zetterberg-Malkin-Kane for a playoff run

Who would you take for your teams top line?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Malkin > Forsberg

Peak, prime, career, you name it Malkin wins.

I do think forsberg has the better linemates in this poll though, which makes it a tough pick.

Reactions: Casanova

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Peak playoffs (goals, points per game):
Malkin: 14, 1.50
Forsberg: 9, 1.35
Bure: 16, 1.29
Kane: 10, 1.27
Zetterberg: 13, 1.17
Modano: 10, 1.00

Modano is much weaker than the rest IMO.

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
For me it's Zetterberg > Modano
Forsberg >= Malkin
Kane >= Bure

If we are only talking about peak.

Looks good to me. Kane has probably done enough to warrant > imo. Good poll. I think MFB may mesh better, but the sum of the individual parts in ZMK may be slightly better.

flipp

Jan 11, 2010
How is anyone saying "Bure > Kane" with a straight face? Kane won a ross by 17pts over prime Crosby and a landslide hart, Bure never came close to doing either.

I agree, Bure is arguably flashier and the better goal scorer. Because of this he gets a bit overrated. I take peak Kane over peak Bure.

Zetterberg around 08 is one the best players in the game. Modano was never this good.

Malkin and Forsberg are very close. Malkin is the slightly better offensive player. However, for one play off run I take Forsberg who is the better all-round player and arguably more clutch.

More or less impossible to choose which line that would be the best. However, I gamble on MFB. If a pure playmaker like Forsberg and pure goal scorer like Bure find good chemistry they could potentially be impossible to stop.

Last edited:
Reactions: crossbownerf

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
I think people are sleeping a bit on peak Modano and Bure in the playoffs, they both have incredible runs to their name. But the best playoff run of the past 20-ish years in Malkin + Zetterberg's monstrous two-way game in 2008 + Kane's offensive might is one of the best trios you could possibly put together since the 90s.

Reactions: authentic

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Nostalgia is strong here.

Zetterberg > Modano
Malkin >= Forsberg
Kane > Bure

The nostalgia is definitely strong. Even with Modano from an all time perspective when people think of him they hear leading scoring american all time and some put him right near Sakic/Yzerman when in reality he might not be a top 3 American player of all time.

But ya at their peaks, Zetterbergs 08 with a Smythe is definitely better than Modano. I agree with your rating of Malkin and Forsberg. I would probably take Malkin in 09 with his Smythe run and Art Ross over anything Forsberg did but Forsberg at his peak wasnt far off of that, if at all. And yeah Hart trophy/Art Ross/Lindsay in the same season Kane, with clutch scoring in the playoffs (and a Conn SMythe not far from there) is definitely better than anything Bure did.

This poll should be clearly ZMK

Reactions: Midnight Judges

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I agree, Bure is arguably flashier and the better goal scorer. Because of this he gets a bit overrated. I take peak Kane over peak Bure.

Zetterberg around 08 is one the best players in the game. Modano was never this good.

Malkin and Forsberg are very close. Malkin is the slightly better offensive player. However, for one play off run I take Forsberg who is the better all-round player and arguably more clutch.

More or less impossible to choose which line that would be the best. However, I gamble on MFB. If a pure playmaker like Forsberg and pure goal scorer like Bure find good chemistry they could potentially be impossible to stop.

Not in the playoffs he isn't. Forsberg had 6 more points in 7 less games as well as more goals while being better defensively and more physical. A peak playoff run is the only time I would have to think about it, for 3-5-10 playoff runs easily Forsberg.

Reactions: crossbownerf

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Malkin > Forsberg

Peak, prime, career, you name it Malkin wins.

I do think forsberg has the better linemates in this poll though, which makes it a tough pick.

Odd then how Forsberg has the higher points per game (in regular season and playoffs), more points and more goals in the playoffs in 7 less games? That's not even considering he was easily a better defensive player and more physical. At this point in his career Malkin isn't even better at staying healthy.

Also peak Zetterberg > Modano and peak Kane slightly over Bure. Your post is entirely wrong, no offense.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Each player on ZMK won a Conn Smythe Trophy. Zetterberg could have conceivably won two Smythe's if the Red Wings had pulled out a win in '09. I wouldn't have voted for him, but Malkin had a decent argument for the '17 Smythe. Same with Kane in '10.

Not one person on MFB ever won one. Close a couple times, but no cigar.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Forsberg is the most dominant playoff player of the past 20 years.

Modano and Forsberg were also elite defensively while only Zetterberg can play defense for Malkin’s team.

And people love to say how overrated he is.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Each player on ZMK won a Conn Smythe Trophy. Not one person on MFB won one.

If trophies are your only criteria then this could be a landslide, when in reality it wouldn't be. I think I would side slightly with ZMK though, but it's not because of trophies, but better wingers and nearly equal center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad