Peak Modano-Forsberg-Bure vs. Zetterberg-Malkin-Kane for a playoff run

Who would you take for your teams top line?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
If you can't interpret who he's implicitly referring to, then you have to help us out here because Kane is even younger and Zetterberg played a grand total of 12 playoff games beyond age of 33. The point is that this argument routinely gets brought up once Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, or someone that's even younger stands on the other side of the equation. It's mind boggling really why it's relevant in the slightest.
I’m honestly not sure there was anything implicit about that statement. Seems pretty explicit to me. It might not contribute much (if snything) to the topic of this thread, but it’s hard to draw anything from that post other than what’s said, especially considering the context you provided.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
People tend to forget the year that Forsberg led playoff scoring after 3 rounds was the same year he didn’t play a single RS game, so he was quite rested to start the playoffs.

I also don’t know how can anyone pick any version of Forsberg over ’09 Malkin.

Reactions: Casanova

ginomini

May 25, 2014
So peak for a playoffs run the trio with 0 Conn Smythe leads against the trio that have 3..........

Reactions: Ageless

Nathaniel

Oct 18, 2013
4 smythes
3 playoff scoring titles
Crosby and malkin have both led the Stanley cup final series in scoring
Vs....

Trendkill101

May 27, 2013
People tend to forget the year that Forsberg led playoff scoring after 3 rounds was the same year he didn’t play a single RS game, so he was quite rested to start the playoffs.

Quite rested? He was off with an injury. Look at how much someone like Nylander is struggling to get back into full form after sitting out a couple month, and he was still able to train every day.

For Forsberg to walk in during the playoffs and dominate after missing an entire season due to injury is a lot more difficult than you are making it sound.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
ZMK by miles, it's insulting to them to think the 90's trio with their ZERO smythes is better
Using arbitrary awards to dictate who is better :rolleyes:.
Crosby has 2 he doesn't deserve, Ovechkin got one that is debatable.
But yes Give me the peak Selke quality Modano or the 50goal scorer offensive Dynamo Modano over anything Zetterberg did, even if he (deservedly so) won a trophy.
Give me the 100p (dead puck era) 2 way capable Forsberg over the 100p(Higher scoring era) Malkin
and give me the 50-60 goal scoring Bure (dead puck era) over Kane

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

All we heard this year with Nylander is how it would take a few weeks after his return to get his legs back, and he only missed the first few months. Forsberg actually didn't play hockey for an entire year and spent much of it healing from injury, not just sitting out. I can't imagine this would be much of an advantage. I would also pick 2002-04 Forsberg over any version of Malkin personally, offensively dominant force like Malkin but with an elite two-way game and a physical beast.

Reactions: GreatGonzo

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Since you won't say it, I will.

Forsberg was better in the playoffs than Malkin.

No shame in this though as Forsberg is elite all time in the playoffs.

151 games, 64 goals and 171 points vs. 158 games, 62 goals and 165 points. Way higher +/-, and quite easily better defensively and physically. I don't see how it could be considered a controversial opinion.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Playoffs is such a small piece of the whole picture, especially when you consider Malkin had the better playoff peak (his ‘09 Conn smythe run), and the fact Forsberg never won the Smythe.

Fact is, Malkin had the better peak in both playoffs and the regular season, had the better prime (2 Art Rosses to 1, three top 2 (or top 5) Hart voting finishes to one), and the much better career (more Cups, 6 major awards to three, about to break 1,000 points to Forsberg’s career total 885).

Your last point is off base too. I admire Zetterberg, but Modano was the better player all things considered, and will be remembered as such.

He has the better single season offensive peaks in the regular season and playoffs. Forsberg would've easily had two Harts and Art Ross if he didn't miss half the season in 2003-04 and Malkin may not even have two if Crosby was healthy in 2011-12, that's why trophy counting doesn't always paint an accurate picture in player comparisons.

Forsberg was more consistent from season to season and was a better two-way player with better per game numbers in the regular season and playoffs in his career. I don't see how my last point is way off either, most people in here agree Zetterberg at his peak was better than Modano.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
But yes Give me the peak Selke quality Modano or the 50goal scorer offensive Dynamo Modano over anything Zetterberg did, even if he (deservedly so) won a trophy.
Give me the 100p (dead puck era) 2 way capable Forsberg over the 100p(Higher scoring era) Malkin

so being some "selke quality dynamo" is better than actual conn smyth trophies hahaha

sorry bro your 90's heroes have been topped by miles, enjoy the game today and stop dwelling on the past

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
oh and forsberg sat out the entire regular season in 2002 when he outscored everybody, funny how his biggest fans always leave out that fact

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
This is a rather bizarre way of belittling the 90s players.....for example, sure all three of the other line won smythes, but this is for one run....one. Put ‘02 Forsberg, ‘99 Modano, and ‘94 Bure on a line, then against ‘08 Zetterberg, ‘09 Malkin, and ‘13 Kane(he won his Smythe that year, right?), there really is no, “AINEC” talk....

Forsberg and Modano could potentially have the upper hand against Malkin and Zetterberg defensively and in possession. Kane and Bure would be a great show down, but Bure carried his line and team to the finals, he’s more than capable of creating his own scoring.

Offensively ZMK I feel have the advantage though, but I do feel it’s still close in that regard. Defensively though MFB has the clear upper hand. I guess it comes down to possession. Forsberg and Malkin can generate offense and carry their lines while being elite scorers.
oh and forsberg sat out the entire regular season in 2002 when he outscored everybody, funny how his biggest fans always leave out that fact
It’s been already told that he didn’t “sit out.” He didn’t play a single game due to injuries and was recovering. He basically lead all players in scoring in the post season after having to come back from some pretty serious injuries.

You can make it sound like he was chilling at home openly choosing to not play, but without that bias twist to the narrative, the real fans know the truth.

Reactions: ColbyChaos

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
All we heard this year with Nylander is how it would take a few weeks after his return to get his legs back, and he only missed the first few months. Forsberg actually didn't play hockey for an entire year and spent much of it healing from injury, not just sitting out. I can't imagine this would be much of an advantage. I would also pick 2002-04 Forsberg over any version of Malkin personally, offensively dominant force like Malkin but with an elite two-way game and a physical beast.

You don’t forget to play hockey just like that. Forsberg is also a couple of tiers ahead of Nylander. Funny how this argument can be used agaisnt Crosby (not by you in particular) but not agaisnt other players. He was rested, he delivered in the playoffs. Most players are also playing with injuries during RS in which they translate into the playoffs (IE Crosby in 2007, 2008. Malkin in 2015, 2016 etc) and it clearly shows on the ice. Not playing for a whole regular season and starting the playoffs fully healthy is actually a big advantage..

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
You don’t forget to play hockey just like that. Forsberg is also a couple of tiers ahead of Nylander. Funny how this argument can be used agaisnt Crosby (not by you in particular) but not agaisnt other players. He was rested, he delivered in the playoffs. Most players are also playing with injuries during RS in which they translate into the playoffs (IE Crosby in 2007, 2008. Malkin in 2015, 2016 etc) and it clearly shows on the ice. Not playing for a whole regular season and starting the playoffs fully healthy is actually a big advantage..

He did the same thing in 1999 after playing 78 games though.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

50 goal Modano was in one of the highest scoring eras in NHL history and he still had pretty comparable numbers to Zetterbergs best season. If you adjust for era Zetterberg has more goals in 07-08 than Modano in his 50 goal season and 15 more points. 07-08 Zetterberg was better offensively than Modano at his peak and was actually recognized as a Selke calibre player while he was at his best offensively. When Modano was getting Selke recognition, he wasnt close offensively to Zetterberg in 07-08

So basically Zetterberg finishes 3rd for the Selke, with more goals and 15 more points than Modano. He also ended up with a Conn Smythe in that season in a playoff run much better than anything Modano ever did in the playoffs.

There is no argument for Modano over Zetterberg in a peak season or playoff run

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Your still trying to say Forsberg was “perfectly healthy”.......as if he was fully rested. He had his damn spleen removed the year prior, obviously if he could play he would have, but physically it was out of the question. But to continue to suggest that Forsberg was %100 and that’s why he performed how he did is just ridiculous. You also forget that he led the playoffs in scoring in ‘99 without making the finals after playing 78 games in the regular season. He was fully capable of doing it.

Forsberg, for a majority of his career was a top playoff performer. His playoff numbers rival Crosby, can be argued as better than Malkin.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Zetterberg and Malkin are better than Modano and Forsberg but yeah there are arguments both ways, especially for Forsberg. But I still can't believe how anyone is trying to argue Bure > Kane. Absolute joke.

Reactions: newfy

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Zetterberg and Malkin are better than Modano and Forsberg but yeah there are arguments both ways, especially for Forsberg. But I still can't believe how anyone is trying to argue Bure > Kane. Absolute joke.
What makes Zetterberg better than Modano?

I’m honestly asking. I keep seeing this but I don’t find any significant evidence to support this outside of personal preference.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Forsberg's and Modano's defensive prowess make this a landslide for the older trio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->