Peak Modano-Forsberg-Bure vs. Zetterberg-Malkin-Kane for a playoff run

Who would you take for your teams top line?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Am I the only one who thinks folks overrate Forsberg based on a PPG average that never tapered down because his career was cut short? He played 11 games after the age of 33.

Great player, but overrated.

I don't get this post or how it got 3 likes... Malkin is 32 lol. Could you or anyone who liked it explain?

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
If trophies are your only criteria then this could be a landslide, when in reality it wouldn't be. I think I would side slightly with ZMK though, but it's not because of trophies, but better wingers and nearly equal center.

Not the only criteria, but a very important one if we're talking strictly playoff performance. I think all 3 players on ZMK are better playoff performers than their counterparts on MFB. I also feel like you and I(maybe someone else idk) have already gone back and forth about Malkin vs Forsberg and neither of us are going to change our minds so why waste our time now?:laugh:

I edited my post FWIW.

Reactions: ginomini

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Not the only criteria, but a very important one if we're talking strictly playoff performance. I think all 3 players on ZMK are better playoff performers than their counterparts on MFB. I also feel like you and I(maybe someone else idk) have already gone back and forth about Malkin vs Forsberg and neither of us are going to change our minds so why waste our time now?:laugh:

I edited my post FWIW.

I don't expect anyone to change their mind on this site, let's not get crazy here lol. It just seems odd to use trophies against a guy who's team was eliminated twice in the 3rd round but he still led the playoffs in points. Neither Crosby or Malkin ever had enough points after 3 rounds to do that, not even Malkin in 2009. I do think for peak though they are extremely close and wouldn't fault anyone for taking Malkin.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I don't expect anyone to change their mind on this site, let's not get crazy here lol. It just seems odd to use trophies against a guy who's team was eliminated twice in the 3rd round but he still led the playoffs in points. Neither Crosby or Malkin ever had enough points after 3 rounds to do that, not even Malkin in 2009. I do think for peak though they are extremely close and wouldn't fault anyone for taking Malkin.

Actually that's not true. Crosby and Malkin both ended the 3rd round in '09 with 28 points. The next highest scoring person after 4 rounds was Zetterberg with 24 points. Same with 2017 when they ended round 3 with 24 points for Malkin, and 20 points for Crosby. The next highest scoring player after 4 rounds was Getzlaf with 19. Nobody on Nashville was particularly close.

Difference of course is that their team's won.

Forsberg leading the playoffs in scoring after 3 rounds is a cool trivia fact, but that's about all the weight it holds for me.

Reactions: Casanova and ESH

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Actually that's not true. Crosby and Malkin both ended the 3rd round in '09 with 28 points. The next highest scoring person after 4 rounds was Zetterberg with 24 points. Same with 2017 when they ended round 3 with 24 points for Malkin, and 20 points for Crosby. The next highest scoring player after 4 rounds was Getzlaf with 19. Nobody on Nashville was particularly close.

Forsberg leading the playoffs in scoring after 3 rounds is a cool trivia fact, but that's about all the weight it holds for me.

Crosby had 27 points after 4 rounds in 2017. So they each did it in 2009 tied with each other.

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
In not any way shape or form Kane > Bure. Kane has been playing on stacked teams most of his career until last couple of seasons. Bure on the other hand pretty much single handily carried Canucks into the final in 1994 and Florida into playoffs in 2000.

Reactions: Sayonara77

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I don’t understand how people can say Zetterberg>Modano “easily.” I think that’s really close. Zetterberg at his best was amazing, but Modano was just as great with his playoff runs being just as impressive. The Smythe does favor Zets though for sure.

Also, Bure>Kane? For the playoffs?

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Malkin and Crosby both had 27 points after 3 rounds in 09. 27 points in 17 games each. Both would have tied for the scoring lead if eliminated in round 3.

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
I don’t understand how people can say Zetterberg>Modano “easily.” I think that’s really close. Zetterberg at his best was amazing, but Modano was just as great with his playoff runs being just as impressive. The Smythe does favor Zets though for sure.

Also, Bure>Kane? For the playoffs?

Bure was just a better player than Patrick Kane. For the playoffs however, I feel like it is very close but Bure for some reason was always underrated in this regard. He has 70 points in 64 games, which is a great stat. Not his fault his teams were much worse than Kane's ones. I will take 1994 Bure playoffs over any of Kane's

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Bure was just a better player than Patrick Kane. For the playoffs however, I feel like it is very close but Bure for some reason was always underrated in this regard. He has 70 points in 64 games, which is a great stat. Not his fault his teams were much worse than Kane's ones. I will take 1994 Bure playoffs over any of Kane's
I agree Bure is very underrated. He was magnificent in ‘94. Im just surprised to see him being chosen over Kane, who has Proven himself a playoff warrior all in all.

I do think Kane’s ‘10 can be considered better than Bures ‘94. Both were beast at ES, both had their big moments, even though Kane didn’t win the Smythe, he was just as dominant.
With 0 smythes to show for it
he did lead the playoffs in scoring without making the playoffs twice. Lacking a Smythe shouldn’t suddenly exclude that.

Not saying Malkin isn’t the better playoff performer, but IMO Forsberg was more consistent in the post season while Malkin had higher peaks.

Reactions: Brucelenok

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Odd then how Forsberg has the higher points per game (in regular season and playoffs), more points and more goals in the playoffs in 7 less games? That's not even considering he was easily a better defensive player and more physical. At this point in his career Malkin isn't even better at staying healthy.

Also peak Zetterberg > Modano and peak Kane slightly over Bure. Your post is entirely wrong, no offense.

Playoffs is such a small piece of the whole picture, especially when you consider Malkin had the better playoff peak (his ‘09 Conn smythe run), and the fact Forsberg never won the Smythe.

Fact is, Malkin had the better peak in both playoffs and the regular season, had the better prime (2 Art Rosses to 1, three top 2 (or top 5) Hart voting finishes to one), and the much better career (more Cups, 6 major awards to three, about to break 1,000 points to Forsberg’s career total 885).

Your last point is off base too. I admire Zetterberg, but Modano was the better player all things considered, and will be remembered as such.

Reactions: Casanova

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Not saying Malkin isn’t the better playoff performer, but IMO Forsberg was more consistent in the post season while Malkin had higher peaks.

Since you won't say it, I will.

Forsberg was better in the playoffs than Malkin.

No shame in this though as Forsberg is elite all time in the playoffs.

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
I agree Bure is very underrated. He was magnificent in ‘94. Im just surprised to see him being chosen over Kane, who has Proven himself a playoff warrior all in all.

I do think Kane’s ‘10 can be considered better than Bures ‘94. Both were beast at ES, both had their big moments, even though Kane didn’t win the Smythe, he was just as dominant.

he did lead the playoffs in scoring without making the playoffs twice. Lacking a Smythe shouldn’t suddenly exclude that.

So peak Bure had 31 points (16 g + 15 a) in 24 games, 2010 Kane 28 points ( 10 g + 18 a) in 22 games. Stats wise they are close but I believe when you comparing players, a lot of people tend to look only at the stats and ignoring the fact what players surrounded them. Let's be honest over here, the only remotely close star player that Bure had that season was Linden, Kane however was surrounded by all-star team, I am not going to list all of them, you know whom I am talking about

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Since you won't say it, I will.

Forsberg was better in the playoffs than Malkin.

No shame in this though as Forsberg is elite all time in the playoffs.
Overall sure, I have no problem with that. It’s close, but this is talking about one run, and Malkins ‘09 run is pretty ridiculous.
So peak Bure had 31 points (16 g + 15 a) in 24 games, 2010 Kane 28 points ( 10 g + 18 a) in 22 games. Stats wise they are close but I believe when you comparing players, a lot of people tend to look only at the stats and ignoring the fact what players surrounded them. Let's be honest over here, the only remotely close star player that Bure had that season was Linden, Kane however was surrounded by all-star team, I am not going to list all of them, you know whom I am talking about
For sure. I totally understand your point. It’s a good argument. Bure was the star of that team, while Kane did have better support around him. Both were Smythe worthy overall. Having Bure with a solid center, with more support would have made a difference.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016

Check the difference in scoring between 94 and 2010.

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016

The problem with the cool trivia in this case is that is that it's backed by numbers in any measurable way.

Malkin in 09 factored in on 43% of his teams goals through 3 rounds, 46% through 4 rounds.
Forsberg in 02 factored in on 50% through 3 rounds, and 44% through 3 rounds in 1999.

Forsberg factored in on 35% of his teams goals through his Avs tenure while missing 17 out of 150 games.
Malkin factored in on 32% of his teams goals through till today while missing 11 out of 169 games.

Forsberg in the playoffs has greater ppg, raw or relative, greater apg, raw or relative, greater gpg, raw or relative, greater per/time stats since it was available, raw or relative, while also being greater in other aspects of the game.

Do you believe Penguins have been a deeper team 07-19, than Avs were 95-04?

Reactions: wetcoast and flipp

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Forsberg is and has been by far the better 200 foot player in the playoffs compared to Malkin.

Modano at his peak was very good defensively and Bure was decent ie better than Malkin.

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
Well the post didn’t even mention Malkin

If you can't interpret who he's implicitly referring to, then you have to help us out here because Kane is even younger and Zetterberg played a grand total of 12 playoff games beyond age of 33. The point is that this argument routinely gets brought up once Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, or someone that's even younger stands on the other side of the equation. It's mind boggling really why it's relevant in the slightest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad