GDT: PDF/WCSF Sharks (3) vs Golden Knights (1) Round 2 GAME THREE 7pm NBCSN

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Why do you want to relive that? Haha Martin sees the puck carrier and turns his back to the play and skates the other way
I watched it live, pretty tired this morning - it will get my blood going real quick.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Again, our performance was slightly better in terms of points per game in games where Tim Heed was in the lineup. Our goals for per game increased only slightly while our goals against per game went way up.

In 2017, we allowed 12 goals in 6 games against Edmonton. Connor McDavid was clearly the best player on the ice, but he still scored only 2 goals and 2 assists in 6 games. (2 GA/GP)

In 2016, we allowed 15 goals in 6 games against Pittsburgh. Sidney Crosby was held to 0 goals and 4 assists in 6 games. (2.5 GA/GP)

In 2016, we allowed 13 goals in 6 games against Pittsburgh. Vladimir Tarasenko was held to 2 goals and 0 assists in 6 games. (2.17 GA/GP)

In 2016, we allowed 16 goals in 7 games against Nashville. Filip Forsberg was held to 1 goal and 0 assists in 7 games. (2.29 GA/GP)

In 2016, we allowed 11 goals in 5 games against the Los Angeles Kings. Anze Kopitar was held to 2 goals and 2 assists in 5 games. (2.2 GA/GP)

In 2018, against the Vegas Golden Knights, we have already allowed 14 goals in 3 games. (4.67 GA/GP) William Karlsson already has 3 goals and 4 assists.

We are currently allowing more than twice as many goals against per game as we allowed in all of our last 6 series except for the one against Pittsburgh - a team that has an argument for best post-lockout NHL team.

Do you guys not realize, that what made us a successful team in 2016, was that we had elite defense? We held every team to a very low amount of goals for. The only reason we didn’t shred Edmonton was that Thornton and Couture were both horridly injured. This team’s defense got significantly worse during our “transition” and everybody just kind of ignored it because we scored a few more goals. Our advanced stats over the last ~25 games are worse than they’ve ever been.

We do not have superstars that can consistently win track meet type hockey games. Burns and Couture, love em’ both to death, are not Crosby and Malkin. Neither of those guys have ever scored anywhere near where Kessel did this year. Thornton is on that level if he plays like he did in 2016 but I’m expecting us to add Tavares before that happens.

We need to be an elite defensive team if we want to win. We have the top end personnel to do that but our depth is so awful that it doesn’t matter.
I agree with you. I think the system changes have made the team more vulnerable, not better. I’d much prefer that we shut teams down then got continuously dominated by one line and just tried to outscore them.

I can’t believe that Martin played more than Dillon last game.

Can Thornton just play now if he’s able?

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I watched it again. I have no idea how Deboer can watch that and not put in Ryan. I get he’s rusty but we need his fresh legs and Paul Martin looks like a horse heading to the glue factory. Absolute awful decision to ice him.

Reactions: stator and Friday

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
I agree with you. I think the system changes have made the team more vulnerable, not better. I’d much prefer that we shut teams down then got continuously dominated by one line and just tried to outscore them.

I can’t believe that Martin played more than Dillon last game.

Can Thornton just play now if he’s able?

If Jumbo isn't coming in for game 4 then he's never coming in.

Reactions: FunkyPhin

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
I watched it again. I have no idea how Deboer can watch that and not put in Ryan. I get he’s rusty but we need his fresh legs and Paul Martin looks like a horse heading to the glue factory. Absolute awful decision to ice him.

I can't even watch that, Sharks played too good of a game to have Martin do that... Their best player Martin and you turn your back and skate to the other side of the ice? Its so weird

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
Anyone have a GIF/Video of Martin's entire shift ?

dKW2muX.gif

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Didn't have the opportunity to watch the game (in Australia for work, game time was noon.....), but caught the highlights. Can people fill in the blanks for me, please?

• Was Martin generally that bad, or was his bad play amplified by the OT winner?
  • It looked like Vegas' goals by Miller and Smith were mostly the from bad luck (or good luck from Vegas). are those outliers or did it seem like they were bound to score?
  • It seems like Fleury is getting super lucky with saves, and is being bailed out by defensemen in the crease or the sharks flubbing on chances. From an entire game standpoint (and game 2 for that matter), is this theory accurate, or is he really the primary reason we havent been able to bury our high quality chances?
  • How was Tierney on the top line? who was the effective center by way of D zone play?
Thanks everyone. Again, just from the highlights, I still feel like we can make this a series. This isnt like game 1 or the Pittsburgh final where i felt we were outmatched. Seems like, at least tonight, we could have scored 5 or 6

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Didn't have the opportunity to watch the game (in Australia for work, game time was noon.....), but caught the highlights. Can people fill in the blanks for me, please?

• Was Martin generally that bad, or was his bad play amplified by the OT winner?
  • It looked like Vegas' goals by Miller and Smith were mostly the from bad luck (or good luck from Vegas). are those outliers or did it seem like they were bound to score?
  • It seems like Fleury is getting super lucky with saves, and is being bailed out by defensemen in the crease or the sharks flubbing on chances. From an entire game standpoint (and game 2 for that matter), is this theory accurate, or is he really the primary reason we havent been able to bury our high quality chances?
  • How was Tierney on the top line? who was the effective center by way of D zone play?
Thanks everyone. Again, just from the highlights, I still feel like we can make this a series. This isnt like game 1 or the Pittsburgh final where i felt we were outmatched. Seems like, at least tonight, we could have scored 5 or 6

Martin was bad all game, slow and terrible on break outs

Meh, Vegas hit the post a couple times as well. Sharks had the game very under control besides a 5 min melt down starting with Dillys pen.

The LoCo save was right into his glove, Kane had a big chance but he whiffed on it. Sharks are scoring at a decent rate so I dunno?

He was passable but when it got to the 3rd they put LoCo on that top line and it was much more effective

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Martin was bad all game, slow and terrible on break outs

Meh, Vegas hit the post a couple times as well. Sharks had the game very under control besides a 5 min melt down starting with Dillys pen.

The LoCo save was right into his glove, Kane had a big chance but he whiffed on it. Sharks are scoring at a decent rate so I dunno?

He was passable but when it got to the 3rd they put LoCo on that top line and it was much more effective
What'd the lines end up being at the end? Like
Kane-Couture-Pavelski
Meier-Hertl-Labanc
Sorensen-Tierney-Boedker
Karlsson-Fehr-Goodrow

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Kane-Couture-Pavelski
Meier-Hertl-Labanc
Sorensen-Tierney-Boedker
Karlsson-Fehr-Goodrow

Pretty much, top two lines looked like that. Boedker was getting mins with different lines. Hertl and Timo together worked super well. Im so over Lebanc

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Pretty much, top two lines looked like that. Boedker was getting mins with different lines as well. Hertl and Timo together worked super well. Im so over Lebanc
I hope Donskoi and Thornton are good to go. I'd probably try to keep those lines pretty similar overall.
Kane-Couture-Pavelski
Meier-Hertl-Donskoi
Boedker-Thornton-Labanc
Fehr-Tierney-Goodrow

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Kane-Couture-Pavelski
Meier-Hertl-Labanc
Sorensen-Tierney-Boedker
Karlsson-Fehr-Goodrow

That actually doesnt look completely terrible but lets be honest. Its not the forwards that are going to lose this series its the D. You cant play Vlasic and Braun 40 minutes a night and hope they dont die.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
That actually doesnt look completely terrible but lets be honest. Its not the forwards that are going to lose this series its the D. You cant play Vlasic and Braun 40 minutes a night and hope they dont die.

Its a bummer how thin our blue line looks right now. To be fair, the Knights are really fast and they're not giving us much time. 2nd and 3rd pairings always playing with a live grenade haha just fumbling around the puck.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
We just need Ryan to draw in. It's the only way we can really get the top 4 with ~25min each.

Reactions: Friday

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Sharks going to forever be the 3/4th best team in the west, always be competitive but never win. We're so spoiled but damnit if Vegas at year one already has a formula better than the Sharks haha

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
Its a bummer how thin our blue line looks right now. To be fair, the Knights are really fast and they're not giving us much time. 2nd and 3rd pairings always playing with a live grenade haha just fumbling around the puck.
Nonsense, all we have to do is pair Burns and Vlasic and play them for a whole 60 minutes...That way we can add 4 more forwards....

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
The game was lost mainly due to bone-headed penalties but I still can't get over the fact that we continue to dress Martin. Kurz was arguing that minutes don't matter after 8 days off but it was pretty clear to everyone that as the game wore on Vlasic/Burns/Braun didn't have the legs to keep up the pace. The back to back penalties in overtime killed us as a result and led to Martin getting increased ice time which he rewarded the team for by allowing 3 back to back grade A scoring chances including a goal against. There are a lot of factors at play but driving your top 3 D into the ground simply because you don't trust someone directly impacts future games when those 3 are exhausted. Would Ryan have prevented that goal? Who knows, but he'd at least have the legs to make a play on the puck.

It's frustrating because the 2016 finals was very similar in that Polak was able to fly under the radar against the Blues who were slow but was brutally exposed against a fast transition team in the Penguins. While DeMelo probably doesnt make the difference in that series, he would at least have provided a little more speed at the risk of being rusty. But when Polak is constantly stuck in his own zone and giving up goals, I dont see how it's any worse to risk goals against by replacing him with a younger, faster DeMelo. At worst, you break even in terms of chances/goals against. At best though, maybe you break a few pucks out cleaner, win an extra foot race ect that gives us a better chance to steal a game.

Martin is just too slow. He has always been slow but has been able to cover for himself with smart, safe, plays. This season he is slower than ever before and seems to have lost some of his ability to read the play and make the smart play to cover for his deficiencies and it's costing the team.

I get that it's one player, but all those factors (extra ice time for the top 3, losing races to lose pucks, bad reads, no ability to recover) add up over the course of a 7 game series and especially in one as close as this where the teams are basically 50-50.

If it truly comes down to Burns preferring Martin over Ryan then I'm not sure what to say. I've always found it laughable that the narrative is "Martin covers for Burns". Burns, for what he is paid, should not need a baby sitter. And it's frustrating to see his babysitter cost us games and negatively impact the team when.

Just like Polak vs DeMelo in 16, why not just try Ryan for a game. Worst case, we continue to give up scoring chances/goals due to him being a rookie or rusty, or bad (doubtful since he played great all season), but we have seen that it's going to happen with Martin regardless so what do you have to lose? Best case, Ryan brings some speed to the back end and can eat more minutes, make cleaner break out passes (stop icing the puck Burns), ect. I just don't understand why you wouldn't make a change after the last 3 games we've seen out of Martin. You struggle with him...is Ryan going to somehow be worse?

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
4th line still looked amazing. Love sorensen, kid is always making plays happen. and kane had his chances. just needs to crisp his play up.

Watching the game, I was expecting Las Vegas' GM was thinking of trading for Sorensen.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If we could have Tierney back on the third and Ryan back in I'd be fine.

That Meier-goodrow-labanc line was awful for the short time they existed.

Tierney on the top line wasn't a bad idea. He just had a very bad game. That 3rd line setup was completely ridiculous, out of left field, and made no sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad