GDT: PDF/WCSF Sharks (3) vs Golden Knights (1) Round 2 GAME THREE 7pm NBCSN

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
This game was lost because of dumb penalties by Dillon and Hertl first, then Martin's inability to play in the NHL. Particularly Hertl as there was no excuse for him to retaliate in that situation.

Martin's fault is more on Pete Deboer than Martin himself. Any worthless NHL coach would know there's an issue with Martin, having only played 16 NHL games because he cannot keep up.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
This game was lost because of dumb penalties by Dillon and Hertl first, then Martin's inability to play in the NHL. Particularly Hertl as there was no excuse for him to retaliate in that situation.

While stupid, I give Hertl a bit of a pass because he made up for it late in the game with a hell of an effort to tie it up

exchequer

Apr 21, 2006
Martin's fault is more on Pete Deboer than Martin himself. Any worthless NHL coach would know there's an issue with Martin, having only played 16 NHL games because he cannot keep up.

PDB completely outcoached by Gallant in Game 3. On the game winner, Vegas got the matchup they wanted - their top line against the Wookie and an aging pylon.

Sharks need an injection of energy after two straight OT games. If it goes 7, the Sharks have a great chance at winning the series.

Reactions: Bizz

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Labanc had an awful game. Puck was a hand grenade.

There were plenty of guys having a bad game. Boedker had a bad game. Dillon had a bad game. Hertl was bad until the end. All that said, it was still a game that they should've won if they didn't shoot themselves in the foot. The penalties were all a lack of focus type of penalties and the breakdowns defensively in the 2nd were all lack of focus and puck-watching. The OT goal was a coaching error and a great shot by a great player.

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
I don't even think the Hertl penalty was that bad. That play developed with Neal looking for Hertl's head. Getting into the mind of Hertl I'm guessing it was a "hit him before he hits me" mentality that just turned into a poorly placed hit. The Dillon penalty was the only other one I'd deem "acceptable" - at least it was somewhat forced.

The thing about that Martin play is it wasn't because he was gassed. It was just a dumb read that a veteran defenseman shoudn't be making. I'm very curious as to what the thought process was on that read. Was he expecting to swap with Burns? Maybe he thought Burns was back deep further had he intially thought he was going to cover the assignment that made the pass then decided against it?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
PDB completely outcoached by Gallant in Game 3. On the game winner, Vegas got the matchup they wanted - their top line against the Wookie and an aging pylon.

Sharks need an injection of energy after two straight OT games. If it goes 7, the Sharks have a great chance at winning the series.

Gallant didn't even outcoach DeBoer. DeBoer outcoached himself. Gallant didn't do anything different. He didn't adjust to the breakout defense the Sharks made and they're still pretty much stymied on that front. If the Sharks just kept their mental focus, Vegas probably gets shut out this game because they didn't create anything dangerous other than when the Sharks let their foot off the gas.

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
Gallant didn't even outcoach DeBoer. DeBoer outcoached himself. Gallant didn't do anything different. He didn't adjust to the breakout defense the Sharks made and they're still pretty much stymied on that front. If the Sharks just kept their mental focus, Vegas probably gets shut out this game because they didn't create anything dangerous other than when the Sharks let their foot off the gas.
I agreee with this. If it wasn't for the penalties the Sharks would have cruised. I can think of very few instances where Vegas' other 3 lines were factors 5 on 5.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't even think the Hertl penalty was that bad. That play developed with Neal looking for Hertl's head. Getting into the mind of Hertl I'm guessing it was a "hit him before he hits me" mentality that just turned into a poorly placed hit. The Dillon penalty was the only other one I'd deem "acceptable" - at least it was somewhat forced.

The thing about that Martin play is it wasn't because he was gassed. It was just a dumb read that a veteran defenseman shoudn't be making. I'm very curious as to what the thought process was on that read. Was he expecting to swap with Burns? Maybe he thought Burns was back deep further had he intially thought he was going to cover the assignment that made the pass then decided against it?

If he's thinking that then he's already out of focus. There's no way that Neal was going to hit Hertl in the head there. He may have bumped him but even that's doubtful. In either instance, it's his job to take that hit for the team and not do anything selfish. He did and it cost the team. Dillon's penalty was just lazy.

As for Martin, that's all it takes for him to give up a scoring chance because he doesn't have the physical capability of coming back from a mistake made. If you don't have that, it's time to go. DW needs to buy him out this off-season. He needs to trade DeMelo and he needs to find at least one solid d-man even if it is inevitably to just play the 3rd pairing. Go sign Mike Green or whatever but they need to make that 3rd pairing strong instead of just struggling to hang on by a thread.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
This is so true. For most of the game Vegas was not remotely dangerous. But when we made mistakes they made us pay. Jones hasn't been bad outside of game 1, but it doesn't look like he will be bailing us out either. If we don't cut down on dumb penalities then we won't win this series.

But pete for the love of God get martin out of there. It's time for that man to drop out and enjoy life from out of the rink.

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
Sharks going to forever be the 3/4th best team in the west, always be competitive but never win. We're so spoiled but damnit if Vegas at year one already has a formula better than the Sharks haha
I'm not going to be surprised if Vegas misses the playoffs the next 3-4 seasons. Hats off to what they're doing this season though - it's incredible.

Reactions: Phu

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This is so true. For most of the game Vegas was not remotely dangerous. But when we made mistakes they made us pay. Jones hasn't been bad outside of game 1, but it doesn't look like he will be bailing us out either. If we don't cut down on dumb penalities then we won't win this series.

But pete for the love of God get martin out of there. It's time for that man to drop out and enjoy life from out of the rink.

Asking a goalie to make saves on the goals that were scored by Vegas in this game is probably asking too much. The Sharks problems on the goals involved passes getting through that shouldn't get through. Vlasic didn't sell out to block the pass to Miller. The forwards up top were going for too much of a skate and puck-watched too much letting the cross-box pass through for the Marchessault one-timer goal (this was mostly Tierney). The Smith goal was a two-on-zero in front of Jones. Labanc vacated his spot before anyone covered and even if they had, there's still obviously someone else uncovered. Burns didn't exactly rush into position either. It was a humongous boner on pretty much everyone. The OT goal was just a perfect shot over the blocker on a break. That's a shot that if placed like that is going in a lot more than it's staying out. It was like Kane's goal. Sometimes when you make the perfect shot, it's going in and you can't do anything about it.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Absent a few bad penalties by the players, the Sharks win that game. Personnel-wise, I wouldn't change a thing unless Donskoi is ready to go tomorrow.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Absent a few bad penalties by the players, the Sharks win that game. Personnel-wise, I wouldn't change a thing unless Donskoi is ready to go tomorrow.

What about Thornton? We could really use him on the powerplay.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
Asking a goalie to make saves on the goals that were scored by Vegas in this game is probably asking too much. The Sharks problems on the goals involved passes getting through that shouldn't get through. Vlasic didn't sell out to block the pass to Miller. The forwards up top were going for too much of a skate and puck-watched too much letting the cross-box pass through for the Marchessault one-timer goal (this was mostly Tierney). The Smith goal was a two-on-zero in front of Jones. Labanc vacated his spot before anyone covered and even if they had, there's still obviously someone else uncovered. Burns didn't exactly rush into position either. It was a humongous ***** on pretty much everyone. The OT goal was just a perfect shot over the blocker on a break. That's a shot that if placed like that is going in a lot more than it's staying out. It was like Kane's goal. Sometimes when you make the perfect shot, it's going in and you can't do anything about it.
I'm not blaming Jones for our loss last night. Not at all. Merely pointing out that his current level of play probably isn't going to steal a game for us this series. Which is fine if we just play like we did last night minus stupid penalties which led to mental collapses.

This series isn't over yet. I'm still confident we can win but we need to tweak a couple of things to give us our best chance.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
What about Thornton? We could really use him on the powerplay.

Our PP has looked fine but having him out there if he’s ready would be huge from a morale standpoint. I feel like Thornton will help keep the guys focused and loose on the bench.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm not blaming Jones for our loss last night. Not at all. Merely pointing out that his current level of play probably isn't going to steal a game for us this series. Which is fine if we just play like we did last night minus stupid penalties which led to mental collapses.

This series isn't over yet. I'm still confident we can win but we need to tweak a couple of things to give us our best chance.

If they keep their head in their own zone, the numbers and the opportunities they do give up will make it seem like he is playing at that level.

I agree the series isn't over but if DeBoer continues to ice Martin and DeMelo, they're probably not going to win this series. They can't be relied upon and the top guys will wear out.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
Still confident that we can pull out a win this series, completely outplayed them in the 1st and most of the second, then came back from a 2 goal deficit in the 3rd. The Sharks playing to their potential can beat this team, but they're so bi-polar you never know what team will step onto the ice.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
If they keep their head in their own zone, the numbers and the opportunities they do give up will make it seem like he is playing at that level.

I agree the series isn't over but if DeBoer continues to ice Martin and DeMelo, they're probably not going to win this series. They can't be relied upon and the top guys will wear out.
I would rather have demelo in right now them martin. Martin looks like a deer with in the headlights after the collision. Can't react fast enough, confused and giving up too many opportunities. But the only lineup changes I expect to see tommorow are if donskoi or miracle of miracles, Thornton is ready to go.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I would rather have demelo in right now them martin. Martin looks like a deer with in the headlights after the collision. Can't react fast enough, confused and giving up too many opportunities. But the only lineup changes I expect to see tommorow are if donskoi or miracle of miracles, Thornton is ready to go.

I'd put Heed in there over DeMelo but I know that's not going to happen. If it's between DeMelo and Martin then I'm taking DeMelo at this point as well. The problem is that no matter what choice you make, that 3rd pairing is dead in the water and it will catch up to the team at some point.

Reactions: Lebanezer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad