GDT: PDF/WCSF Sharks (3) vs Golden Knights (1) Round 2 GAME THREE 7pm NBCSN

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I agree with almost everyone on Martin, but I also didn’t like the decision to put Tierns on the topline. 3rd line was pretty terrible even in the first half when we dominated, Goodrow is no solution at 3c. I would rather have them play him as the 1st line LW. Actually I would have given Hansen one more shot with the big dogs tonight and left the other 3 lines alone.

Goodrow is a fine 4th line Center. Maybe could play further up in a shutdown role. Goodrow can play anywhere in the lineup as a winger but he's not a good enough playmaker to center a scoring line. No idea what DeBoer thought. What an idiot.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
I don't get how someone who got banished to the AHL for most of the season all of a sudden is a staple in the 2nd round of the playoffs. They thought Martin sucked and was done and then all of a sudden he has a permanent spot. Joakim Ryan helped get you into the playoffs and you trusted him over Martin for basically the entire season. Deboer's decisions are mind boggling.

Reactions: ChompChomp

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
That's reasonable but people around here *****ed for 90% of this season cuz one 4th liner or one 3rd pairing dman they don't like was playing. I'm getting pretty sick of everybody's ****. In this case, I'd gladly pull out Martin especially since Ryan was one of the guys that helped this team get into the playoffs and he's not even getting a chance. Martin's done.

Qft.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
We're not gonna win this series unless Pete DeBoer starts benching the players that are CLEARLY and OBVIOUSLY struggling (Karlsson, Labanc, Martin) and puts in players that have been itching to play yet are riding the pine for no good reason.

Also, zero excuse to not play Thornton. He's been healthy for f***ing WEEKS now.

Reactions: Hinterland

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm so bummed man. Vegas is beatable but Fleury>>Jones and the Sharks have too many liabilities on defense. Vegas is like Pittsburgh in that even when they're getting outplayed they have finishers who don't need many opportunities to score. This is pretty deflating. Hopefully Jumbo and Donskoi can make surprise returns and give them a shot in the arm.

Fleury hasn't shown anything to be better than Jones thus far. Vegas got their wins in this series because nobody showed up in game one for the Sharks and in game three they took five stupid penalties and had a complete breakdown in mental focus during the 2nd. Vegas has played a pretty consistent game in this series. It's not great but it's good enough when the Sharks haven't played a consistent game. And the reason why the Sharks don't play a consistent game is that their depth on the blue line is utter crap when Martin and DeMelo is in the lineup. The times that Dillon shows that he can be a consistent positive is when he's paired with the right guy and he isn't because DeMelo is entirely mediocre at everything and plays to none of Dillon's strengths nor covers any of his weaknesses.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
When I've watched those "Road to the Winter Classic" type shows, they make it seem like the Coaches and the GM talk about personnel and usage. Why isn't DW marching to PDB's office and telling him to bench Martin or somehow someway taking Martin out of available options for PDB? Aren't we at that point given this lunacy?

DW has shown before that he is a bitch to his coaches. He has waived a player because McLellan would not scratch him.

Do people not realize what strange behavior that is?

Just think about it from a workplace standpoint. Say that a boss has told one of her employees that he has to stop using a certain software program to complete a certain task. He’s been using Python to automate the task, and the problem with it is that Python is 99% effective, but it occasionally leads to errors in the data entry of some project, because there are certain errors with the data being extracted that Python is unable to pick up. This is an important project, and the boss INSISTS that it be done by hand, in order to be entirely error free.

Consistent completion of this project is absolutely necessary for his job and it is specifically mentioned in his job description that he must complete this task regularly.

Would it be normal behavior, in this situation, for the boss to just uninstall Python from his computer, and block his computer from downloading any new software by installing a program that blocks any sort of download, and immediately notifies her of any attempts to install software, and requires her authorization before installation? No, absolutely not. In general, if an employee absolutely refuses to do what the boss says, they will receive an ultimatum that they must absolutely change their behavior.

Doug Wilson must establish more authority in his relationship with his next GM.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I love the “I’m above it all because I don’t complain about the third pairing/fourth line” crowd. In the playoffs, every single second of every single shift of every single game matters. It’s the stars that are chiefly responsible for winning and losing series, but to purposely handicap your team even a little tiny bit, when the margin for error in the playoffs is so astronomically tiny, is insane.

If Joakim Ryan were playing instead of Paul Martin, we wouldn’t have lost the game on that play. Maybe we go on to lose it later in OT due to something else, but it would have given us a much better chance of winning.

I’m not even fussed about Heed and DeMelo at this point, they’re pretty close to a wash. Ryan is just so clearly a superior option to Martin, it’s unfathomable that Martin has lasted this long.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
This team is terrible defensively, with elite personnel. Teams like Pittsburgh and Vegas are good defensively with “weak” personnel.

They were 1st in the NHL in GA/GP after about 20 games.
Just to add to this, the systematic changes that Sharks made after the early part of the season all came at the expense of defense. I don't know that believing the team is in a better place now is looking at things objectively. The Sharks bleed chances defensively. They haven't played this loosely on defense in a long time. When Doug looked at Vegas and decided to make changes in their system, one of the crucial differences between Vegas and the Sharks is that Vegas chooses to dress defenseman who can skate well. I understand Heed's benching in favor of Demelo because clearly Deboer was trying to mitigate the systematic changes towards offense by dressing, in his eyes, the most responsible 6 defenseman. If the Sharks are going to choose to play this type of game though, the personnel has to match, Martin is too slow for the style they're playing now (and the NHL.) Vegas, especially their 1st line, is just eating up the Burns/Martin and Dillon/Demelo pairing.

Reactions: hohosaregood

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I really want to know what Hansen and Ryan did to piss off Deboer. Hansen is tailor made for this type of series. Was he late to practice? Does he prefer making a stretch pass as opposed to lazily flipping it off the glass? I don’t get it

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Is there any way to watch the post-game presser? I wanna see if any of our chicken **** reporters has the stones to actually ask a question about the roster.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Self inflicted. 2 needless penalties and then our worst defenseman got worked because he can't hack it anymore.

That said, Vegas is beatable. I'm bummed about the mistakes and the loss but I believe the Sharks will win game 4 if they get this type of effort.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I love the “I’m above it all because I don’t complain about the third pairing/fourth line” crowd. In the playoffs, every single second of every single shift of every single game matters. It’s the stars that are chiefly responsible for winning and losing series, but to purposely handicap your team even a little tiny bit, when the margin for error in the playoffs is so astronomically tiny, is insane.

If Joakim Ryan were playing instead of Paul Martin, we wouldn’t have lost the game on that play. Maybe we go on to lose it later in OT due to something else, but it would have given us a much better chance of winning.

I’m not even fussed about Heed and DeMelo at this point, they’re pretty close to a wash. Ryan is just so clearly a superior option to Martin, it’s unfathomable that Martin has lasted this long.

Well said.

I'm not happy with the play of several star players in this game, including Couture, Burns, and, of course, Jones. But just because they are bad, you can't excuse failings of other players (and the reverse is, of course, doubly true).

I still think, despite his blunder, that Martin should be in over DeMelo. DeMelo looked lost in the defensive zone, was terrible at moving the puck, and provided very little offensive pop (I realize it resulted in a goal, but still). Ideally, Martin and DeMelo should both sit in favor of Ryan and Heed.

Overall, this was a puzzling lineup from DeBoer. I like the strategic changes he's made from period to period and game to game, and 100% understand sitting an injured Donskoi, but Goodrow as the #3C? I will take Thornton at 80% over Goodrow as the #3C.

Reactions: Juxtaposer

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1