PC Building Guide and Discussion #13

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Nahh, you're fine! I don't want to make you worry. I ordered the same product and it works absolutely perfectly. It just took Corsair 6 business days to ship it out of their warehouse + 4 business days for it to get to me via FedEx. I'm just curious what your experience will be like on the shipping + delivery front, is all.

I have to wait quite a while just for my motherboard, so honestly, I basically have to wait for the power supply :laugh:.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
369212826_Prebuild2.jpg.3c6f9a5e614d153fc5ac7bb71d5697f7.jpg

It's happening boys! (and girls... though I assume I'm the only one in this thread)

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I have to wait quite a while just for my motherboard, so honestly, I basically have to wait for the power supply :laugh:.
Hey, just as long as you know there'll be a decently long wait. I went into ordering my parts thinking ordering directly from the manufacturer would be like ordering from Amazon. Unfortunately, even the parts I ordered off of Amazon took longer to get to me than usual :laugh:

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I think I need help with my internet connection. I just got a new modem and router supplied by Spectrum and its hardwired to my PS4. It seems to only happen when I play MLB The Show 20. I lost connection to my opponent twice. One right after a game and one in the middle of one. Thing is, I didn't lose connection to the internet. Router looked fine and my other devices worked fine. Could it be something on my end I can change or just chalk it up to the SDS servers? This never happened with my old setup btw.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I think I need help with my internet connection. I just got a new modem and router supplied by Spectrum and its hardwired to my PS4. It seems to only happen when I play MLB The Show 20. I lost connection to my opponent twice. One right after a game and one in the middle of one. Thing is, I didn't lose connection to the internet. Router looked fine and my other devices worked fine. Could it be something on my end I can change or just chalk it up to the SDS servers? This never happened with my old setup btw.
Well its happening to all my games. I've decided to buy a new router and see if that fixes it.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Not a PC, but I'll have the chance to snag this for 1100 later this week:

https://www.costco.com/msi-ge75-rai...force-rtx-2060---1080p.product.100568605.html

It seems worth it to me. Given the difficulty I've had with trying to find a motherboard/PSU for building a PC, I'm considering just doing this. It'd be cheaper overall, actually seems very comparable in specs, and I do travel a lot so the portability would be nice. I'm used to gaming on laptops that aren't all that powerful too, so it's not like this would be a downgrade or anything.

Is there a catch? Should I look into something else if I go the laptop route?

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com

https://www.costco.com/msi-ge75-rai...force-rtx-2060---1080p.product.100568605.html

It seems worth it to me. Given the difficulty I've had with trying to find a motherboard/PSU for building a PC, I'm considering just doing this. It'd be cheaper overall, actually seems very comparable in specs, and I do travel a lot so the portability would be nice. I'm used to gaming on laptops that aren't all that powerful too, so it's not like this would be a downgrade or anything.

Look here too:

For $1200, I think it's a good deal. Per MSI, the specs are decent too:
GE75 Raider (Intel® 10th Gen)(GeForce RTX™) | Laptops - The best gaming laptop provider | MSI USA

From this review (9th gen CPU), the KB and trackpad are described as 'OK':
MSI GE75 Raider Review

If using at a desk for anything extended length, you could also connect a mouse and KB...the battery is tiny, but it great big laptop too, so...it's not the like battery life would last long anyhow.

17" is big, but you know that going in, it's just going to be less portable, but if not moving around much, that won't matter.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Looks like an amazing deal tbh. I will say though I hate the look of high refresh rate monitors, I've always preferred to game on "creative" monitors or whatever with all their gloss and crispness.

That said, there's really nothing you can do about that. Only laptops with that type of display is Razer which is ridiculously overpriced.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Looks like an amazing deal tbh. I will say though I hate the look of high refresh rate monitors, I've always preferred to game on "creative" monitors or whatever with all their gloss and crispness.

It sounds like you're saying that you prefer monitors with IPS panels over TN and VA ones. IPS has the best image quality and color, while TN and VA are considered better for gamers because of refresh rates and response times. There are now, however, IPS monitors with high refresh rates, low response times and FreeSync that are targeted at gamers. I haven't tried one, but I'm in the market for a monitor and am considering one. Of course, the options are a lot more limited when it comes to laptop displays.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
It sounds like you're saying that you prefer monitors with IPS panels over TN and VA ones. IPS has the best image quality and color, while TN and VA are considered better for gamers because of refresh rates and response times. There are now, however, IPS monitors with high refresh rates, low response times and FreeSync that are targeted at gamers. I haven't tried one, but I'm in the market for a monitor and am considering one. Of course, the options are a lot more limited when it comes to laptop displays.
I think you're mixing up IPS and VA. IPS is the panel type that gamers love with the fast response time (although not quite as fast as TN) and good image quality. The gamers (or at least the ones on /r/monitors) shit on VA for it's slow response time and blur/smearing.

I can't say I agree with the criticism of VA panels though, or maybe I don't know what a really good IPS panel is like. I just went to a new VA monitor (Dell S3220DGF , 32" 1440p 165 Hz) a month ago and I think it's great. I do watch more movies/TV on it than anything though, where the high contrast and great blacks shine more, but even gaming I think it looks great. Freesync 2 works perfect even with my RTX 2070.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Not all IPS panels are created equal, there's a lot of IPS panels with TNish washed out colors, even on a lot of decently high priced gaming laptops

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I think you're mixing up IPS and VA. IPS is the panel type that gamers love with the fast response time (although not quite as fast as TN) and good image quality. The gamers (or at least the ones on /r/monitors) shit on VA for it's slow response time and blur/smearing.

No, I've done a lot of research. TN panels are what gamers love because they offer the fastest response times. Most competitive gamers use TN panels. VA panels were developed to be in between TN and IPS. The response times are a bit slower than TN, but color reproduction is better. As I pointed out, though, IPS panels have been getting faster, so they may not be as bad for gaming as they used to be and there may not much reason to go with VA over IPS anymore except for price or curvature (all of the curved monitors appear to be VA).

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
No, I've done a lot of research. TN panels are what gamers love because they offer the fastest response times. Most competitive gamers use TN panels. VA panels were developed to be in between TN and IPS. The response times are a bit slower than TN, but color reproduction is better. As I pointed out, though, IPS panels have been getting faster, so they may not be as bad for gaming as they used to be and there may not much reason to go with VA over IPS anymore except for price or curvature (all of the curved monitors appear to be VA).
I'll concede that the for the competitive gamers, TN is preferred for the best response times. But VA is definitely not their 2nd choice over (newer) IPS monitors as their response time (not to be confused with refresh rate) is definitely the worst of all 3 panel types. You can look at RTINGS reviews for dozens of monitors and see how response times go TN > IPS > VA.

edit: clarified newer IPS panels

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'll concede that the for the competitive gamers, TN is preferred for the best response times. But VA is definitely not their 2nd choice over (newer) IPS monitors as their response time (not to be confused with refresh rate) is definitely the worst of all 3 panel types. You can look at RTINGS reviews for dozens of monitors and see how response times go TN > IPS > VA.

edit: clarified newer IPS panels

I see what you mean now. Yeah, newer IPS has definitely passed VA in response times. VA panels still seem to be popular with gamers who don't play too many fast-paced games, though, because their contrast ratios are far better than IPS and TN. I happen to be a real stickler for true blacks, so I haven't ruled out VA. It's too bad that we have to pick between good contrast and no ghosting, but I guess that it's good that we have a choice.

BTW, thanks for the tip about rtings.com. That's a site to bookmark.

Last edited:

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
I see what you mean now. Yeah, newer IPS has definitely passed VA in response times. VA panels still seem to be popular with gamers who don't play too many fast-paced games, though, because their contrast ratios are far better than IPS and TN. I happen to be a real stickler for true blacks, so I haven't ruled out VA. It's too bad that we have to pick between good contrast and no ghosting, but I guess that it's good that we have a choice.

BTW, thanks for the tip about rtings.com. That's a site to bookmark.
I'm the same, that's why I went with a VA panel as well (a positive RTINGS review convinced me too :)).

I've also been considering trying out an OLED for PC gaming & movies. The newer LG C9/CX OLED TVs check so many boxes for me... 4K, 120Hz, G-sync and the best HDR you can get. I think I'll get one once the new Ampere GPUs are released, burn-in be damned.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

Went ahead and got this - of course it became backordered literally the second the sale began. Won't take more than two weeks, though.

Pretty excited.

Reactions: flyingkiwi

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
All parts are here! By the way, I will be taking the 4TB storage drive and RTX 2080 out of my current machine. I will be putting the RTX 2080 back in the old machine when the new Nvidia cards come out in September. Putting the pic in a spoiler because it's huge.

IMG_20200627_121826.jpg

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
All parts are here! By the way, I will be taking the 4TB storage drive and RTX 2080 out of my current machine. I will be putting the RTX 2080 back in the old machine when the new Nvidia cards come out in September. Putting the pic in a spoiler because it's huge.

IMG_20200627_121826.jpg

I think that I've already said this, but...

I hate you.

Have fun putting it together while I go back to gaming on my 5-year-old hardware.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I think that I've already said this, but...

I hate you.

Have fun putting it together while I go back to gaming on my 5-year-old hardware.

If I didn't have to use my RTX 2080 and 4TB storage drive for this machine, it would literally be a full new build for me. It's been YEARS since I've changed this much all at once. My first CPU/mobo upgrade in 4.5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad