PC Building Guide and Discussion #13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Apparently, just the cooler on the upcoming RTX 3080 cards costs $150. That's about how much I typically spend on an entire GPU :laugh:.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Apparently, just the cooler on the upcoming RTX 3080 cards costs $150. That's about how much I typically spend on an entire GPU :laugh:.
I think it speaks to the end of Moore's law, they're not really able to get the transistor density up, so expect the power demand of cards to get higher and higher.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I think it speaks to the end of Moore's law, they're not really able to get the transistor density up, so expect the power demand of cards to get higher and higher.
rumors are the new 3080 ti/titan rtx equivalent card will be 350 watts, up from 250-280 watts, so looks to be

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Speaking of the 3080, did anyone else see the possible leak? Interesting cooler design, not sure if I think it's hideous or not. The PCB doesn't go all the way along the length of the card, so I'm looking forward to seeing that the board partners can do with it.

NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3080-1000x750.jpg.d42f33b56baee6520eaa14e94da4e479.jpg

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Great day of deliveries today with my case, PSU, PSU bracket, RAM, case fan, thermal paste and rubbing alcohol all arriving today. Now I'm only waiting on the mobo, SSD and GPU.

Unfortunately the model number of my PSU fits within the Corsair product recall. Since there is absolutely no stock anywhere though, I'm going to wait a while and at least get my system built and posting. Maybe my unit will be fine, but we are going into a hot European summer so I'll try and get the replacement once more shipping capacity is available.

Reactions: Papa Francouz

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm getting some annoying coil whine on my NVIDIA 2070S. It's constant, not just when I'm running games. I'm wondering if it's due to my PSU (Corsair SF450). Would upgrading to the SF600 help?

Most video card noise problems come from the fans. Have you eliminated them yet? I'd make sure that the system is idling, maybe even reboot into the BIOS, and then stick something into the fans to stop them for a second or two, if you can. If the noise stops, then it's the fans. A 450W power supply is a bit underpowered for a GPU that uses 213W by itself and I suppose that it's possible that the problem could be there. It wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade the PSU because you'll need to do it sooner or later, but you may care to rule out the GPU fans first if you'd rather do that later than sooner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricelund

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Hey Everyone,

Wanted to get everyone's opinion. I am in the process of upgrading my "gaming" laptop to something better. I know... it is a laptop but based on my work and life, a laptop fits me better. I need the portability. I am looking for best bang for buck between $1,000-$1,500 (preferably closer to $1000 though) . I have been doing a TON of research and based on my own knowledge of computers I am leaning towards this:

upload_2020-6-15_10-51-24.png

I am able to get this for $1,250. Seems to hit what I need... 144hz screen, fast enough processor. 16GB RAM. Only thing I keep debating about is adding onto the 512 GG SSD.

Thoughts? Any other "better" options out there? I read that based on testing the Omen has done very good with the cooling aspect so that's why I am also leaning that way. Others I have looked at have ranged from the Acer Predator, to the walmart generic Evoo, to MSI.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK

Looking like Ryzen 4000 may have bee delayed to Jan 2021.

Not surprised at all. It's all market manipulation/timing and if you're at the top you can wait to see what your competition does and then react accordingly. The XT/Matisse refresh is the perfect response to Comet Lake to keep AMD in a comfortable position and let them delay the release of Zen 3 into 2021.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Not surprised at all. It's all market manipulation/timing and if you're at the top you can wait to see what your competition does and then react accordingly. The XT/Matisse refresh is the perfect response to Comet Lake to keep AMD in a comfortable position and let them delay the release of Zen 3 into 2021.

On the other, finding components the last time I looked was difficult/expensive, and it might just be a good time to ride it out.

I'm leaning more towards a laptop TBH, I've found a couple models with 100% Adobe RGB coverage, and it's tempting, but I'd rather have one with Renoir than another 14 nm++++ Intel CPU.

But I'm not in dire need for a new computer either, so waiting out is fine.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
On the other, finding components the last time I looked was difficult/expensive, and it might just be a good time to ride it out.

I'm leaning more towards a laptop TBH, I've found a couple models with 100% Adobe RGB coverage, and it's tempting, but I'd rather have one with Renoir than another 14 nm++++ Intel CPU.

But I'm not in dire need for a new computer either, so waiting out is fine.
I'm not that familiar with the mobile/laptop options, but if you're looking to build a desktop PC right now, this is not a good time for you. The options for motherboards and PSUs aren't very good with a lot of them out of stock. And the value of any new graphics card you buy now is going to drop in only 4 months.

Q4 2020 was looking like the perfect/best time to get new hardware as you'd have your option of brand new RDNA 2 or Ampere graphics cards and Zen 3 CPUs, but with the latter delayed that will probably annoy those who were planning to wait if they have to wait until 2021 now.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Bought everything except the mobo (I want the MSI Unify X570 that badly, but the price is too high) and the PSU (looking at the Corsair RM850x White 80+ Gold).

My list: System Builder

Seriously, I'm shaking. It's been a very, VERY long time since I've done basically an entirely new build. And it's my first AMD CPU since the AMD XP 3000+ Barton chip.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Bought everything except the mobo (I want the MSI Unify X570 that badly, but the price is too high) and the PSU (looking at the Corsair RM850x White 80+ Gold).

My list: System Builder

Seriously, I'm shaking. It's been a very, VERY long time since I've done basically an entirely new build. And it's my first AMD CPU since the AMD XP 3000+ Barton chip.

Dat 2TB NVME drive though. Nice.

I started putting my stuff together today too. The AM4 socket is such a nice change from Intel.

While I'm waiting for my GPU to arrive I'm having fun cable training in the SG13. I might even end up with a cleanish build in there once all is said and done.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I might even end up with a cleanish build in there once all is said and done.

Hah, what's that like? But for real, I made the main chamber of my build as clean as I could, but the back is a complete cable jungle. I don't even know how a person is supposed to organize the PSU cables, let alone the dozen of other cables that need to be back there. I had to throw some zip ties back there and call it a day.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Btw, the XT CPUs are confirmed to not come with coolers (at the same price as the old CPUs). Turns them into a much worse value.

Reactions: Osprey

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Dat 2TB NVME drive though. Nice.

I started putting my stuff together today too. The AM4 socket is such a nice change from Intel.

While I'm waiting for my GPU to arrive I'm having fun cable training in the SG13. I might even end up with a cleanish build in there once all is said and done.

PSU bought now:
Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Now all I need is the mobo.

Btw, the XT CPUs are confirmed to not come with coolers (at the same price as the old CPUs). Turns them into a much worse value.

Glad I grabbed the 3700X then. I don't feel bad. I know I'm using another cooler, but still.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I did. Should I not have?
Nahh, you're fine! I don't want to make you worry. I ordered the same product and it works absolutely perfectly. It just took Corsair 6 business days to ship it out of their warehouse + 4 business days for it to get to me via FedEx. I'm just curious what your experience will be like on the shipping + delivery front, is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad