PC Building Guide and Discussion #13

Status
Not open for further replies.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/47333772?

So I've been noticing lately that I've been pulling a range of 55-60 FPS on average when playing on highest settings. Division 2 gets between 52-57. If I wanted guaranteed 60 @ 1080, where am I needed to upgrade? I don't have an interest in 4K or 144, I just want stable, constant 1080/60

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/47333772?

So I've been noticing lately that I've been pulling a range of 55-60 FPS on average when playing on highest settings. Division 2 gets between 52-57. If I wanted guaranteed 60 @ 1080, where am I needed to upgrade? I don't have an interest in 4K or 144, I just want stable, constant 1080/60

Would be hard to say for sure, but I think the most prudent thing to do would be to just drop AA down a tick or two and leave the rest at the highest settings, you probably won't even notice it.

From google, there's apparently an Ultra Anti Aliasing mode you can shut off. The upside is some people think it looks better anyway without it. (they are probably right, most developers are really freaking stupid when it comes to post-processing)

If you absolutely had to leave everything on highest settings, it could be either the CPU or the video card would help you. Division 2 will apparently use more cpu threads than your hexacore cpu has, but I'd still lean toward video card first. You can check cpu utilization though to get an idea.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Yeah just change the settings if you're at 52-57. If your monitor has freesync you don't really need to do anything any you're just playing headgsmes with yourself, a locked 60 is not gonna feel less stuttery than 52-57 fps. If not, just dial down some settings.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Got a way bigger tax refund (aka annual PC budget) than I was expecting, so I'm gonna build my second PC. I just confirmed my second year in Europe, so it's time to have a tiny desktop over here.

I'll be getting my parents to pull my 1060 out of my rig at home and send it over with their next parcel. Otherwise everything is new.

System Builder

Case is up in the air as it's currently out of stock on Amazon.

Of course the 3600 would be a better choice, but I'd rather save the money for now, seeing as B450 will support Zen 3 if I really need to upgrade down the line. But honestly I haven't even outgrown my old i5 4690k at home so there's no point wasting money on power I won't use.

I just want to feel the joy of building again haha.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Got a way bigger tax refund (aka annual PC budget) than I was expecting, so I'm gonna build my second PC. I just confirmed my second year in Europe, so it's time to have a tiny desktop over here.

I'll be getting my parents to pull my 1060 out of my rig at home and send it over with their next parcel. Otherwise everything is new.

System Builder

Case is up in the air as it's currently out of stock on Amazon.

Of course the 3600 would be a better choice, but I'd rather save the money for now, seeing as B450 will support Zen 3 if I really need to upgrade down the line. But honestly I haven't even outgrown my old i5 4690k at home so there's no point wasting money on power I won't use.

I just want to feel the joy of building again haha.

My only recommendation would be to spend a touch extra on faster RAM. Ryzen loves fast RAM. The same kit in 3200MHz would be a decent jump in performance, for example.

I love the SG13 case...particularly with an SFX power supply and not much need for the drive mount bracket giving extra space. You probably accounted for this already, but I figured I should double check - will you be picking up an SFX-to-ATX bracket for the power supply? I don't think the gold edition of the SF450 comes with one (at least mine didn't).

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
My only recommendation would be to spend a touch extra on faster RAM. Ryzen loves fast RAM. The same kit in 3200MHz would be a decent jump in performance, for example.

I love the SG13 case...particularly with an SFX power supply and not much need for the drive mount bracket giving extra space. You probably accounted for this already, but I figured I should double check - will you be picking up an SFX-to-ATX bracket for the power supply? I don't think the gold edition of the SF450 comes with one (at least mine didn't).

Oooh yeah, in my Amazon cart is 3000MHz RAM (the 3200 was a bit expensive), I'll update the PC Partpicker list. The prices fluctuate daily I've ben noticing, so I'll grab whatever is best on the day I actually buy. And yeah if I go for the SG13 I'll pick up the bracket too. So far the only thing I've ordered is the PSU because it was the last one in stock. Apparently the SG13 won't be back until July so I'm going to look into other options, or perhaps other stores.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Damn the SSD just went out of stock too, but only until later this week.

Though it's not like I'll have the GPU from NZ anytime soon. :laugh:

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Best of luck to everyone starting new builds. It took a drunken curiosity one night around 1am for me to find the PSU I wanted in stock on the Corsair website, so keep to it and I'm sure you'll find the parts you want at reasonable prices eventually.

Just don't expect the parts you order to be shipped or delivered any time soon. I ordered a keyboard a week and a half ago from Corsair and it still hasn't left their warehouse in California.

Reactions: flyingkiwi

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Best of luck to everyone starting new builds. It took a drunken curiosity one night around 1am for me to find the PSU I wanted in stock on the Corsair website, so keep to it and I'm sure you'll find the parts you want at reasonable prices eventually.

Just don't expect the parts you order to be shipped or delivered any time soon. I ordered a keyboard a week and a half ago from Corsair and it still hasn't left their warehouse in California.

Thanks mate!

I managed to find my case online in another local store, should have it in a week. Will pull the trigger on the other components as soon as I can too.

The CPU I'll buy last, because if I can't get my GPU from New Zealand I may have to consider an APU to hold me over. Hmmm.

Basically waiting for a couple things with this build:

System Builder

1. CPU cooler/Motherboard/PSU to come back in stock at the normal prices.
2. Waiting for the 3800XT.

Looks great!

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Thanks mate!

I managed to find my case online in another local store, should have it in a week. Will pull the trigger on the other components as soon as I can too.

The CPU I'll buy last, because if I can't get my GPU from New Zealand I may have to consider an APU to hold me over. Hmmm.

Looks great!

Making it black and white with orange LEDs :). Flyers colors, baby!

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Making it black and white with orange LEDs :). Flyers colors, baby!
Damn, now I wanna do a Jets theme. That'll be for my third computer in another 6 years or so. :laugh:

On my first PC I spray painted the Aperture logos from Portal on each side, one in blue and one in orange. The white SG13 with the black mesh reminds me of the turrets. I think I'll get an RGB fan for the front intake and light it red.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Good thing I keep a back up 750w around in case mine croaks out :laugh:

A spare power supply is something that everyone should keep around, IMO. Throw out your old motherboard and case, if you have to, but always keep at least your old power supply so that you can eventually troubleshoot issues with your new one. There comes a time (or two or three) when nearly every PC owner finds that the computer doesn't turn on, turns itself off or is making a weird sound and checking the power supply and even trying another one are some of the first tips given, and the latter can be hard if you don't have a spare laying around. You don't want to have to buy a new $100 power supply and then discover that there was actually nothing wrong with the other one.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Called my sister last night and guided her through safely extracting my 1060 at home, then I got an email saying my tax refund money had transferred, so I pulled the trigger on the rest of the stuff this morning, minus the CPU.

I've gone white on the RAM, the 3200mHZ version had a 5 euro coupon which brought it under the price of the black, and tempted me away from the 3000mHZ. I'm not 100% sure how good the white will look, it goes with the case but the motherboard is mostly silver.

Updated list: System Builder (the site only had 3000mHZ RAM in white, but I did buy the 3200)
I found someone selling a 2600 in my city for only 100 euro so I'll be picking that up hopefully tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Commander Clueless

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Finally got my build done last night. Got to the POST screen, went to install Windows, restarted my PC and got a "chassis intrusion fatal error." Apparently I need to change the CMOS battery on my motherboard to fix this, so I'll have to go grab one of those after work today and hope it works. The rear fan isn't using the RGB right now, but that's whatever. Everything else looked good, ran good, and luckily the only issue I have isn't with a piece of hardware that would require me to RMA something.

Good thing I keep a back up 750w around in case mine croaks out :laugh:

That's...probably a really good idea. If I can find another one at MSRP, I'll look into picking it up. I got an 850w 'cause I wanted some extra headroom for future components, and the PSU was still pretty cheap when buying direct from Corsair. Everyone else has the damn thing listed at $100+ over MSRP right now.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
If I need an RMA I'm screwed. I'm watching all the inventory of the products I've bought slowly dwindle on every site. I also need to display self-control and not make a habit of hoarding parts in my studio apartment. :laugh:

One thing that's incredibly hard to find is isopropyl alcohol at the moment. Since my CPU is second hand I'll be needing some.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I ended up needing to replace the CMOS battery and disabling the chassis intrusion error notification in the BIOS. Apart from that, I haven’t really had too many issues with this build. And it’s my first one, so I’m counting my lucky stars.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Picked up my CPU today! Now just watch my GPU being the last part to arrive.

I ended up needing to replace the CMOS battery and disabling the chassis intrusion error notification in the BIOS. Apart from that, I haven’t really had too many issues with this build. And it’s my first one, so I’m counting my lucky stars.
It's an awesome feeling when a new build goes well. I managed to get both a dead mobo and gpu my first time around, but luckily they were the two components I had bought from local stores. What are the rest of your specs?

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Kumar has reiterated that AMD remains "on track to launch our next-generation Zen 3 CPUs and RDNA 2 GPUs in late 2020,"

I would read that as in Q4, which would likely still have Navi 2 out before the next-gen consoles. With the XT refreshes on Zen 2 I don't see AMD releasing Zen 3 until well into Q4 either.

Either way, hoping for some good shit. Seriously, while I know Nvidia will come out with something that will dwarf the 2080 Ti and Titan, I hope AMD can still keep closing the gap with good value.

Also, I change my CPU cooler in my listing to this big bastard.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/thermalright-le-grand-macho/

Fits my color scheme better too.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
It's an awesome feeling when a new build goes well. I managed to get both a dead mobo and gpu my first time around, but luckily they were the two components I had bought from local stores. What are the rest of your specs?

System Builder

Decided to go all out with this build since it'll have to last me for 6ish years. The wife and I are having kids soon and I won't be able to upgrade anything or build another PC for the foreseeable future, unfortunately. I would've waited for the Nvidia 3000 series GPUs, but my old gaming laptop is officially dead and I didn't have a replacement for schoolwork. It was a lot of fun to build, though, and I'd love to get back into it once the kid (or kids) get older and we have more disposable income. So it could be 20 or more years until I can build again lol :help:

Reactions: Daxi and flyingkiwi

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
System Builder

Decided to go all out with this build since it'll have to last me for 6ish years. The wife and I are having kids soon and I won't be able to upgrade anything or build another PC for the foreseeable future, unfortunately. I would've waited for the Nvidia 3000 series GPUs, but my old gaming laptop is officially dead and I didn't have a replacement for schoolwork. It was a lot of fun to build, though, and I'd love to get back into it once the kid (or kids) get older and we have more disposable income. So it could be 20 or more years until I can build again lol :help:

Looks awesome, enjoy!

My parents never had a ton of money but my dad got back into his hobby when we were 10 and 6, so you might be able to swing a new graphics card sooner than you think. :D

Reactions: Papa Francouz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad