PC Building Guide and Discussion #12

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
well my brother just moved to Ryzen, so I got his old 16GB 2133mhz DDR3 sticks. also gave me his HyperX 212 Evo since he couldnt be bothered ordering the AM4 upgrade kit and just bought a new cooler lol

hes also gonna use his old AMD 8350 to make us a media PC for when we move in together in a couple months

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I've got a 10GB Seagate :laugh:
I did get rid of most of my other parts from that era though.

I still have a 1GB Micropolis (there's a dead name) in storage at my parents' house because it was the drive in the first computer that was actually mine (i.e. not a family computer). I was only surprised that I still have the 80GB with me. Like you, I've thrown out most of my old parts... unless they hold sentimental value (like the Micropolis, my first Sound Blaster, my first 3D accelerator and so on).

Last edited:

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Back again for assistance. I threw in my new SSD tonight and when I booted up, it wasn't showing in my explorer. I opened Disk Manager, and it's there, but listed as unknown disk, not initialized. I right click and choose to initialize, select GPT and hit OK. It then says "The specified disk is not convertible because the size is less than the minimum size required for GPT disks.

Try it as MBR and it just says incorrect function.

When I open the properties, it's detecting the brand and size, says it's working properly.

Any ideas?

Edit: Thinking this just may be another busted product from NewEgg. 2nd item in a month. Tried to do something with it in DiskPart and got "VDS fails to write boot code on a disk during clean operation. Error code: 80070001@02070008"

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Edit: Thinking this just may be another busted product from NewEgg. 2nd item in a month. Tried to do something with it in DiskPart and got "VDS fails to write boot code on a disk during clean operation. Error code: 80070001@02070008"

I would try wiping it either with a factory utility or the Windows installer. Something separate from an existing windows install.

But yeah it could be HW failure. Does it show as 0GB?

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I've been out of the PC scene for a while... for reference I probably built my last computer around ~2007? Maybe 1 GB of RAM, ATI Radeon 3000 series that I built to play Half life 2.

What's changed since then? I remember dual card GPU's were just becoming a thing, and a solid state disks weren't mainstream.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Having this monitor really reminds me that I need a new card. I've had this card for 4 years now.

All new and worthwhile cards are too damn pricy :(. Wish they would release a 2080 Ti without Raytracing to knock the price down to like $800.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
switched out my old cooler to the Hyper 212 Evo. went from 40 idle to 25 idle and 75 load to 50 load. pretty nice.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Having this monitor really reminds me that I need a new card. I've had this card for 4 years now.

All new and worthwhile cards are too damn pricy :(. Wish they would release a 2080 Ti without Raytracing to knock the price down to like $800.
b641174b2d99b039ca0e6899c1ac7a89.jpg

We get it. You got a new monitor. ;)

Sorry, I'm just a little jealous right now haha

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
That's not it. This card is just very lacking, that's all. Showing it's age and all.

Nvidia prices just suck right now.
I'm actually looking into getting a new card as well. Was looking into a Vega card because I also want to get a Freesync monitor with it but I understand that Nvidia cards can now work with Freesync monitors? or is it just the 12 that they approved?

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I'm actually looking into getting a new card as well. Was looking into a Vega card because I also want to get a Freesync monitor with it but I understand that Nvidia cards can now work with Freesync monitors? or is it just the 12 that they approved?

They approved of 12, but some people have been able to get it working just fine on others. Reddit and other forums should have people testing these as well with games and apps.

I just want pure performance, I don't even care that much about Raytracing right now.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
If you can take a picture of all the options available between the boot priority and the hard disk priority (these are usually separate menus)

20190130_120623.jpg

There's the boot priority.

I'm booting from a flash drive because of a bios update along with currently running memtest86.

I've been having freezing in games over the past few days and I'm trying to narrow it down. If memtest86 comes back fine, which is looking most likely, I think it may be the most recent gpu driver update causing the freezing.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
switched out my old cooler to the Hyper 212 Evo. went from 40 idle to 25 idle and 75 load to 50 load. pretty nice.

Was it a stock cooler?

There's the boot priority.

When you select one to boot from manually after entering the bios, which one are you picking?

I've been out of the PC scene for a while... for reference I probably built my last computer around ~2007? Maybe 1 GB of RAM, ATI Radeon 3000 series that I built to play Half life 2.

What's changed since then? I remember dual card GPU's were just becoming a thing, and a solid state disks weren't mainstream.

Both dual cards and cards with dual GPUs are kinda dead now. The latter is completely dead.

SSDs are now little cards you clip in instead of connect via a cable. Though you can still do that.

Increased core counts above 4 are actually useful now.

DX12 exists but is still not really required in most cases.

And everyone uses stupid RGB lights now :biglaugh:

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
When you select one to boot from manually after entering the bios, which one are you picking?

Windows boot manager Samsung ssd.

Edit: I'll show you a pic of the selection once the memory test is done.

Last edited:

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
also my brother had nothing but trouble with his new mobo+cpu+ram for the dumbest reasons

First, he found out the Hyper 212 needed an ugprade kit for AM4 which he couldnt be bothered waiting for

then, the Arctic eSport 33 he bought NEW from amazon turned up preused and missing all the screws

then, we couldnt get it to boot past BIOS with a red CPU fault light. turned out he put the 8 pin CPU power upside down and forced it in despite it having shaped ports to prevent that happening

Then he was having shutdowns all day and his CPU was reaching 90 degrees on load. I told him to reseat the cooler and when I went to his place to check it, he hadnt screwed it all the way down XD

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
nope, but it was a very old Arctic 7 Pro Rev 2.

I'd still think it would do better than 40 idle though that's pretty hot.

Windows boot manager Samsung ssd.

I would try the option I screenshoted before. Set CSM to enabled and then in the sub options set it to UEFI only.

Also if you say set your bootable USB drive as the first options in the menu, will it boot to that directly?

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009

I would try the option I screenshoted before. Set CSM to enabled and then in the sub options set it to UEFI only.

Also if you say set your bootable USB drive as the first options in the menu, will it boot to that directly?

It hasn't booted to that directly no. Always makes me hit F1 to enter the bios.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009

20190130_144100.jpg

This is what I select to boot.

20190130_144324.jpg

Performed this switch and still not booting automatically.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I'm just guessing here, but switch them all to UEFI First.

Ok, I'll try that.

Currently I'm more worried about my pc freezing all the time. Yet the audio keeps playing. Whether it's games, just watching video playback etc.

The only 2 things new in my system are the ram which tested no errors and a new nvidia driver.

Edit: I had to restart after a freeze. Switched them all to uefi only and still not booting straight away .

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Yet the audio keeps playing. Whether it's games, just watching video playback etc

Yeah that usually is video. It's probably not actually a freeze/crash.
Driver rollback should work, you can find it in device manager.

Or just manually download the older driver and install it clean.

Sometimes if your 3d driver you can cntl alt delete and get back to the desktop.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00