PC Building Guide and Discussion #12

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
AMD really needs to release their next gen cards to bring Nvidia back down to earth. Is there any news as to when that is coming?

I have zero f***ing idea why they are lagging behind so hard on the GPU side. They used to be the best or at least matches anything Nvidia had for YEARS and now it's just... yeah...

I guess my only hope is, is that my G-Sync monitor supports Freesync (I mean, wouldn't it just be some sort of update?). But you know...

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Put my old Gkill ram back in and everything is as smooth as butter. No hiccups, lags, freezing or anything. It's a beautiful thing. Now I just need to ship the incompatible ram back to amazon and call it a wash. Or order a new monitor, haven't decided what I'm going to use the credit on yet.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
nope. that thing is massively overpriced by its 16GB VRAM

if they release the same GPU with 8GB VRAM at a heavy discount, that can rival a 2080 without RTX, then we can talk

It's disappointing to me because even undercutting NVIDIA by say $50 would have made a big difference. RTX features are still almost non-existent.

Unless you are an AMD enthusiast or have a real use for (the admittedly impressive) 16GB of HBM2...

Still, it's encouraging that Radeon can pump out something that competes like this, so it gives some hope for the future. Right now, though, the GPU market is crap (at least it is in Canada).

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
nope. that thing is massively overpriced by its 16GB VRAM

if they release the same GPU with 8GB VRAM at a heavy discount, that can rival a 2080 without RTX, then we can talk

You asked when they're releasing their next-gen cards. The answer is Thursday. If you wanted a different answer, you should've been more specific and saved me the time of looking it up for you.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
You asked when they're releasing their next-gen cards. The answer is Thursday. If you wanted a different answer, you should've been more specific and saved me the time of looking it up for you.

No, I didnt ask.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Those benchmarks are REALLY all over the place. I have to be suspect of those as I really, REALLY can't see the new card being about the same power as a 980 Ti in high quality 1440p resolution. It's way too all over the board.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
So pretty sure that my old GeForce 660 Ti is kicking the bucket (play any game and within an hour or two get a lockup that has the screens go grey or yellowish in colour... or just have the game flat out die and windows throws a directx error of some sort).
Without doing a full system rebuild, because that's not in the budget right now... the RX 580 seems to be falling into my price range (CDN$): https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06Y46X4L9/

It doesn't seem like the equivalent NVidia cards come anywhere near touching that price? I get that it's a year old plus card, but it'd still be a significant upgrade to what I have now and hopefully resolve the issues I'm having with gaming without breaking the bank.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
It doesn't seem like the equivalent NVidia cards come anywhere near touching that price? I get that it's a year old plus card, but it'd still be a significant upgrade to what I have now and hopefully resolve the issues I'm having with gaming without breaking the bank.

The equivalent nvidia card would also be a year+ old model (1060 6GB, do not get the 3GB).

I like the RX 580. That seems like a good price in CAD for the 8GB verison.

Reactions: Caeldan

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
So pretty sure that my old GeForce 660 Ti is kicking the bucket (play any game and within an hour or two get a lockup that has the screens go grey or yellowish in colour... or just have the game flat out die and windows throws a directx error of some sort).
Without doing a full system rebuild, because that's not in the budget right now... the RX 580 seems to be falling into my price range (CDN$): https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06Y46X4L9/

The 580 is a great card, and probably the budget/value king at the moment (particularly in Canada). NVIDIA's new lineup is far from reasonably priced at the moment.

Although, it'd be poetic to wait for a bit and move from the 660 Ti to the new GTX 1660 Ti that is apparently a real thing, and coming soon. :laugh:

Reactions: Caeldan and SeidoN

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Thanks for the info. Pulled the trigger on the 580, should be here Friday. Hopefully I'll get a chance to install it over the weekend.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Thanks for the info. Pulled the trigger on the 580, should be here Friday. Hopefully I'll get a chance to install it over the weekend.

What CPU will it be paired with?

Before I was going to suggest going even lower end like a 1050 or an RX 560 if you were happy enough with your 660 ti other than it croaking out. But I don't think the price difference is worth it. The 580/1060 have much more bang for the buck.

Those lower end cards seem way over priced in Canada. More so than the middle end ones.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
What CPU will it be paired with?

Before I was going to suggest going even lower end like a 1050 or an RX 560 if you were happy enough with your 660 ti other than it croaking out. But I don't think the price difference is worth it. The 580/1060 have much more bang for the buck.

Those lower end cards seem way over priced in Canada. More so than the middle end ones.

It's that i5 you suggested for me to replace my old i7 970 a couple years back.

But I did want to step up the graphics card a little bit, as just before it started croaking I was finding that I was needing to turn down graphics on any raids for when I was playing mmos, and other games were starting to require some medium to low settings on occasion.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
im seriously wondering if my RX480 is underperforming. its been having trouble in some modern games, but I figured its just a midrange card. but then i load up the Division 2 beta after seeing people say its well optimized, and videos on youtube of people with the same CPU as me and RX570s and 580s getting 70-80fps on High preset, and im struggling to stay above 40 on Medium settings with eye candy turned off. GPU benches as expected in synthetic tests but not in games

sent my brother my login info so he can try. he has a R7 1700x and a GTX1060 6GB. depending on how it runs I may get him to come to my place with his 1060 and just see how things run

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
So f***ing dumb...

Seriously, this is such a lame duck release it's insane. No where worth the money.

Linus pointed out that it could be a reconfigured Radeon Instinct MI50. So basically, this thing is just lazy as hell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad