PC Building Guide and Discussion #12

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I paid more out of pocket from newegg but the total value equals the 1070ti being at $320 after rebates and the value of the game.

I wanted a specific model so I jumped on it when I seen the deal. I almost bought it from Evga's site for $430 plus Monster Hunter without a rebate.

Ah. Fair enough.

Last edited:

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
20181114_151214.jpg

Got my 1070ti today. It's difficult to get a good picture with a phone.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Your case is too clean. Needs some Red/Yellow/Black wires run up the middle, 3 more hard drives with other OSes on them you never actually boot into, and some bag ties to look like a proper computer.

Well it is Wednesday so we already passed taco Tuesday when I place a fully cooked taco in the system with sour cream and sauce and let Heaven's benchmark go on 4k for 6 hours straight.

I'll have to update the pics then.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Well it is Wednesday so we already passed taco Tuesday when I place a fully cooked taco in the system with sour cream and sauce and let Heaven's benchmark go on 4k for 6 hours straight.

Someone once got me a joke gift that was a mini-fridge that plugged into a USB port. It would keep a single can of beer/soda cold :laugh:

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Looks great.

High five on that RAM.

How's the acoustics on the FTW? My blower 1080 is really starting to grate on the ears. :laugh:

Thanks. The RAM is gskill with new rgb heatspreader. I'm actually annoyed a bit because, not sure if you can tell, the far left heatspreader isn't aligned with the others. I'll have to undo the daisy chain to fix it and that seems like a pain in the ass so whatever lol.

I only loaded up Witcher 3 for about 10 minutes or so just to see the new horsepower I've got. Significant over the 580 obviously. But my whole system runs pretty quiet. And with the icx tech only 1 fan is to cool the gpu . So that helps with noise.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Thanks. The RAM is gskill with new rgb heatspreader. I'm actually annoyed a bit because, not sure if you can tell, the far left heatspreader isn't aligned with the others. I'll have to undo the daisy chain to fix it and that seems like a pain in the ass so whatever lol.

I only loaded up Witcher 3 for about 10 minutes or so just to see the new horsepower I've got. Significant over the 580 obviously. But my whole system runs pretty quiet. And with the icx tech only 1 fan is to cool the gpu . So that helps with noise.

I actually didn't notice until you pointed it out. :laugh:

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
RX590 benchmarks have it around 10% better than a 1060 6GB and around on par with a 980ti

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Hey I've got a 580 for sale! (Wink wink)

Heh. Well I've got a 480 which is basically the same card :P

Though my 480 is kind of a dumpy low end one but it works well. But I put a custom cooler on it so now it runs ice cold.

Too bad (well for you anyway) the mining craze has subsided for now. You'd have gotten bank for that card 6 months ago :laugh:

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Heh. Well I've got a 480 which is basically the same card :P

Though my 480 is kind of a dumpy low end one but it works well.

Too bad (well for you anyway) the mining craze has subsided for now. You'd have gotten bank for that card 6 months ago :laugh:

I'm not expecting much lol. But with my new card this one's useless. I could put it in my mom's build, but there's no point.

If I don't get any local or whomever buyer's soon I'll just throw it up on ebay.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Newegg intially had the 590 up for ~$350 and change, and I thought "that's a pretty good deal, considering 580/1060 prices and the fact that the exchange rate MSRP should be about $370".

It's now $400. Sneaky jerks!

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
I’m on the fence about selling my 1060 when I move overseas next year. Before I go I’m definitely selling the cpu mobo and ram, with the idea of replacing them with new stuff on my way back in mid 2020.

I’m also deciding whether I’ll buy s new laptop for the trip but I think that decision will be made closer to, cause my 3 year old HP pro book is still super solid and fast enough for my portable needs.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Okay, so. My powersupply finally came in today. I just got it all hooked up, and guess what...
It did turn on, the fans kept going, I saw a blue light come on I think from the power supply, but oh... There is a little part of my motherboard catching on fire. Hooray! -_-

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Okay, so. My powersupply finally came in today. I just got it all hooked up, and guess what...
It did turn on, the fans kept going, I saw a blue light come on I think from the power supply, but oh... There is a little part of my motherboard catching on fire. Hooray! -_-

Well that blows. Unfortunately it's probably time for a new board/cpu/RAM because your current stuff is probably too dated to be worth salvaging.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Well that blows. Unfortunately it's probably time for a new board/cpu/RAM because your current stuff is probably too dated to be worth salvaging.
Yep, I knew my board and CPU were the oldest things in here but damn this really sucks. I'm going to have to find some searching online tonight and try to order something asap because I legit need my computer over the Thanksgiving break for school work.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Yep, I knew my board and CPU were the oldest things in here but damn this really sucks. I'm going to have to find some searching online tonight and try to order something asap because I legit need my computer over the Thanksgiving break for school work.

Well on the good side you can get something reasonably close performance wise to what you had for not *too* much money.

Depends on the budget, but I'd probably target the Ryzen 5 2600. You could drop to a Ryzen 1xxx and potentially save some money if there are some out there on sale.

Intel has some stock issues right now so their prices are a bit inflated.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Well on the good side you can get something reasonably close performance wise to what you had for not *too* much money.

Depends on the budget, but I'd probably target the Ryzen 5 2600. You could drop to a Ryzen 1xxx and potentially save some money if there are some out there on sale.

Intel has some stock issues right now so their prices are a bit inflated.
How much would I probably have to spend to get something better than what I had with my Gigabyte board? I won't lie I'm not even sure how good in general the board was, a friend of mine shipped it to me when I was first building my computer and said he wasn't using it anymore. I'll have to check just how much of a budget I need to be on but at the same time I don't want to have to possibly replace it in just a few short years either. Same with the CPU.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If you don't want to shell out for an upgrade, you can just buy another socket AM3+ motherboard for $50-$80. It wouldn't be any faster than what you had, but it'd be cheap because you would re-use your CPU and RAM. If you decide that you want to upgrade, it'll cost more like $400 to upgrade to Ryzen and replace your RAM.

My guess was pretty close. The cheapest Ryzen MB+CPU+RAM bundle on Newegg is $354 before tax and shipping:
Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more - Newegg.com

Keep in mind that even upgrading to that probably won't make a big difference in games, since you'll be re-using your GPU. If game performance is mostly what matters to you, you might consider buying a replacement AM3+ motherboard and then spending the extra $300 on a GPU upgrade, instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oogie Boogie

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
How much would I probably have to spend to get something better than what I had with my Gigabyte board? I won't lie I'm not even sure how good in general the board was, a friend of mine shipped it to me when I was first building my computer and said he wasn't using it anymore. I'll have to check just how much of a budget I need to be on but at the same time I don't want to have to possibly replace it in just a few short years either. Same with the CPU.

There's two ways to go. If your budget is very tight you could intentionally buy a weaker CPU with the intention of replacing it sooner rather than later. Basically a bare bones get me back and running system that could be piecemeal upgraded.

If you have a bit of money to spend along the lines of what Osprey laid out or a little more (I'd try and get a 2xxx if possible though) then just do that. A R5 2600 will be good for a number of years. Then you don't have to worry about anything.

I'd say your old stuff was mid-high. Not the highest end stuff but in its day it was of quality. 990fx chipset + FX 8350 which was at one time AMDs highest end CPU.

CPUs just aren't evolving all that fast so your old stuff was still capable.

The reason I would generally be against what Osprey suggested in terms of trying to replace your old components with matching parts is you can't be sure your CPU and or RAM isn't damaged. It's quite likely the CPU is fine, CPUs are pretty hard to kill. RAM is also probably fine but there's just no way to verify it unless you have a test system.

IMO if your budget accounts for the possibility of having to spend $80-100 on a motherboard that may or may not solve your problem and the possibility of then having to just fully upgrade anyway, you might as well fully upgrade. It would be different if the CPU/RAM you were trying to salvage was more up to date but it's just past my personal replace line. Especially considering you don't have any working system at the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad