PC Building Guide and Discussion #12

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I don't have any experience with the newer AMP Extreme coolers, but the Extreme versions of the 1070 and 1080 were pretty beastly. My friend has a 1070 version, and that thing is a boss while making very little noise.
I actually cancelled that order because I wasn't paying attention to the size. I have a mid case and I don't believe it would fit my case. Ended up getting an MSI Titanium.

517QRohqBYL._AC_SY400_.jpg

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
EVGA 1060 Gaming 6GB $209 ($259 -$50)

So we're not quite back to the lowpoint in prices. Those puppies were going for $170-180 a few years ago on BF. Same with the AMD card cause I bought one :laugh:

But certainly better than last year during the height of crypto.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
So I have a bit of an issue. My dad's PC has been having problems for a couple of months. It would get this error sometimes. And then not for days. Finally last night the issue became permanent.

This is the error;
"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

When I access the Bios, sometimes 4 things show up in the boot order, other times only 2 things show up.

I think it might be the hard drive? Does that seem reasonable? If so, it's a 1 TB SSD. Can I just go buy a HD, replace the current HD and see if that works? Do I need to install Windows to know if the HD is an issue?

I've considered getting new cables as well. The big part of the cable isn't very snug (the small one is) in the current hard drive.

My first thought was the power supply, before it died completely, but now I'm thinking that may have been wrong?

Any ideas?

@SniperHF
Or anyone?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
So I have a bit of an issue. My dad's PC has been having problems for a couple of months. It would get this error sometimes. And then not for days. Finally last night the issue became permanent.

This is the error;
"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

When I access the Bios, sometimes 4 things show up in the boot order, other times only 2 things show up.

I think it might be the hard drive? Does that seem reasonable? If so, it's a 1 TB SSD. Can I just go buy a HD, replace the current HD and see if that works? Do I need to install Windows to know if the HD is an issue?

So now you can't get into your OS at all?

How many drives do you have? 1TB SSD + a HDD? Or some other stuff too?
Is it always the same devices that disappear and reappear from the list or is it different every time?

What brand and model SSD is it?

Reactions: Natey

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
So now you can't get into your OS at all?

How many drives do you have? 1TB SSD + a HDD? Or some other stuff too?
Is it always the same devices that disappear and reappear from the list or is it different every time?

What brand and model SSD is it?
I'm not sure the brand / model until I get home. It's 1TB, I know that.

No can't get to the OS. I can get to Bios. If I don't go to Bios, it comes up with the error I wrote. It has had that error many times, but only just now will a restart not go to Windows.

Just the 1 SSD. No other hard drives. Same. Something that days UEFI is always there as well as the CDRW drive.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Just the 1 SSD. No other hard drives. Same. Something that days UEFI is always there as well as the CDRW drive.

Take the SATA cable from your optical drive and use it for your SSD, just to eliminate that possibility quickly. I've had a SATA cable fail before but only once in ~14 years or so.
Assuming it's a SATA drive anyway and not an m.2.

You might also try a different port on the board.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Take the SATA cable from your optical drive and use it for your SSD, just to eliminate that possibility quickly. I've had a SATA cable fail before but only once in ~14 years or so.
Assuming it's a SATA drive anyway and not an m.2.

You might also try a different port on the board.
I'll double check the drive tonight. I'm going to buy an HD in the way home, but I'll try the other things. Do you think a dead Hard Drive is a good possibility?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Do you think a dead Hard Drive is a good possibility?

Yes.

If your CD Drive is never disappearing it's not likely the motherboard unless it's just that one specific SATA port. And if it's not the cable then it's probably the drive.

But one thing I would check is to see if there's a menu in the BIOS you can find that lists attached devices to see if maybe your SSD is showing up in there but not in the boot menu.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Yes.

If your CD Drive is never disappearing it's not likely the motherboard unless it's just that one specific SATA port. And if it's not the cable then it's probably the drive.

But one thing I would check is to see if there's a menu in the BIOS you can find that lists attached devices to see if maybe your SSD is showing up in there but not in the boot menu.
CD drive never disappears. So if I take the cables from the CD Drive and plug it into the HD and it doesn't boot, I know it's not the cable. Perfect.

I'm leaning towards the hard drive. I'll report back with results. There's a 500 gb SSD on for $100. Gonna grab it after work.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm leaning towards the hard drive. I'll report back with results. There's a 500 gb SSD on for $100. Gonna grab it after work.

Well it's in the realm of possibility that it's a GPT/MBR corruption. Usually the "boot device" listed in the boot order these days is "Windows Boot Manager" instead of the specific drives. I think that's unlikely since you said it was intermittently doing the same thing before.

Usually a SSD not being detected is either a bug/compatibility issue or a dying drive.

If you can find out the model of the drive you might be able to look up bugs along those lines. Sometimes a firmware update can clear them up. Of course you'd have to have the drive detected in the first place at some point to be able to update the firmware :dunce:

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
This is anecdotal, but every so often my sister's computer will have the same issue, with the "insert boot media" message. In her case, we need to play around with the BIOS, put her SSD in the boot order, then change the boot order - and it doesn't always take. It appears in her case to be related to really poor power. I grabbed an old UPS - its battery needs replaced, but it should at least help to clean the power up. Since doing that, her computer has only had the problem surface with a complete blackout. Your problem likely isn't related, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Reactions: Natey and SniperHF

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Well it's in the realm of possibility that it's a GPT/MBR corruption. Usually the "boot device" listed in the boot order these days is "Windows Boot Manager" instead of the specific drives. I think that's unlikely since you said it was intermittently doing the same thing before.

Usually a SSD not being detected is either a bug/compatibility issue or a dying drive.

If you can find out the model of the drive you might be able to look up bugs along those lines. Sometimes a firmware update can clear them up. Of course you'd have to have the drive detected in the first place at some point to be able to update the firmware :dunce:
Is it possible to reformat the drive by putting it in my computer? Or will they cause issues because it has Windows on it?

This is anecdotal, but every so often my sister's computer will have the same issue, with the "insert boot media" message. In her case, we need to play around with the BIOS, put her SSD in the boot order, then change the boot order - and it doesn't always take. It appears in her case to be related to really poor power. I grabbed an old UPS - its battery needs replaced, but it should at least help to clean the power up. Since doing that, her computer has only had the problem surface with a complete blackout. Your problem likely isn't related, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.
It could be a power supply issue. That was my initial thought.

Xeon 4 core/8 thread 3.5 Ghz-3.9Ghz Turbo
8GB RAM
CD/DVD RW
1 TB SSD
GTX 770

I think the power supply is only like 400 or 450 watts. Again I'll double check when I get home. I'll check the mobo to if I can.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Is it possible to reformat the drive by putting it in my computer? Or will they cause issues because it has Windows on it?

Nope, if that's an option I would definitely try it. Just don't boot off of it, use it as a secondary drive to your own OS and see if it shows up.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Nope, if that's an option I would definitely try it. Just don't boot off of it, use it as a secondary drive to your own OS and see if it shows up.
So I'm home. I moved the cables from the CDR to the SSD.

Obviously the CDR doesn't show now in the Boot Priority. The only thing showing now is Windows Boot Manager.

It used to have 3 or 4 things always.

The SSD is March Networks?? lol

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I don't know what that is so you'd probably have to crack it open and take a look :laugh:

But if Windows Boot Manager is in the list set it to #1 and try it.
It's the only one on the list and the problem is still there.

What's the easiest way to install Windows? External HD?

I bought a 500GB Samsung SSD. Gonna open it up and see what happens.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Heh, I'm a paranoid and would have double confirmed the bad drive by plugging it into another comp first :p

Anyway Windows install is easiest if you make a USB drive to install with using the media creation tool:
Download Windows 10
It's not like I can't do that later, right?

However... I just plugged in the Samsung and it showed in the Bios immediately.

Not sure I have a USB drive. Damn it.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
If you happen to find a USB drive laying around I think it has to be 8GB. Won't quite fit on a 4GB IIRC.
Okay, I remembered I got an 8GB USB Drive with Season 7 of Game of Thrones, so I'm currently downloading to Jon Snow's head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad