Pavel Datsyuk or Joe Thornton

Pavel Datsyuk or Joe Thornton

• Datsyuk

• Thornton

Results are only viewable after voting.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
That same team had Ekman second in points with 55. You really aren’t understanding how offensively weak those sharks teams were....

Weak minded? A Hart, Art Ross, and being the best playmaker of his generation. Wow, so weak....take your “expertise” somewhere else, all it’s coming off as is saltiness.

they both benefited from the same scoring era. Only difference being Thornton having better seasons before the lockout.

ya....with BRETT HULL. Surrounded by tons of HOF talent. He was then put on the same line as Zetterberg. Nothing like Thornton had to do, which was carry a line/team into the playoffs.

I’m not debating on whether or not Datsyuk performed better in the post season. Zetterberg performed better in that same time frame though...having 9 more points and the same defensive abilities.....is he more elite than Thornton?

Yes, Zetterberg for much of that time frame was better after 2007 but he declined quicker than both despite being younger and had lower lows in the regular season. I would put a peak Zetterberg comfortably head to head with any player of this era in the playoffs.

Reactions: GreatGonzo

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
That is all fair points but I go by what I saw with my own two eyes. I've watched both players pretty closely and always thought Datsyuk was the better player. Not to take anything away from Joe who was a damn horse in his own right but Pavel is easily one of the best hockey players I've ever seen with my own two eyes.

I would say he is comfortably the best player of the post-lockout era after Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid and Malkin. Thornton would probably be next up though mainly because of how great his 2 peak regular seasons were, he has also aged quite well which is why I'd have him over Zetterberg, but it's close between them. You could probably make a case for Bergeron challenging them now too.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
And Thornton was first during their 2011 WCF run.....

yet he “never shows up.”

I put that he was 1st in 2011 in my earlier post. I'm really happy for him that he managed to lead his team to the WCF to be dominated by better players.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I put that he was 1st in 2011 in my earlier post. I'm really happy for him that he managed to lead his team to the WCF to be dominated by better players.
Datsyuk never lead the wings anywhere, so why should we hold that against Thornton?

Weird how the standards suddenly shift.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Datsyuk because playoffs.

These 2 went toe to toe at least once that i recall, and Datsyuk generally had a lot of success against SJ. He was the better player overall.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Hockey is a team game, a good example why the Sharks haven't won the whole thing while Datsyuk has 2 rings.
Ok so now it’s a team sport, yet the poster I just quoted claimed Datsyuk would “own” Thornton in a playoff match up......

It is a perfect example, especially given the fact that Datsyuks 2002 championship was on a juggernaut team, and he was a third liner. But I’m glad you’re aware that Datsyuk has had better teams around him than Thornton.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Datsyuk because playoffs.

These 2 went toe to toe at least once that i recall, and Datsyuk generally had a lot of success against SJ. He was the better player overall.
Wings played the Sharks 3 time during their tenure.

Wings won in 07
Sharks won in 2010,2011.

Anyone know a site for old boxscores to see how they did in each series?
2007: wings win 4-2
Thornton: 6-1-4-5 (0)
Datsyuk: 6-2-4-6 (+2)

2010: sharks win 4-1
Thornton: 5-3-5-8 (-2)
Datsyuk: 5-1-4-5 (+1)

2011: sharks win 4-3
Thornton: 7-0-6-6 (-3)
Datsyuk: 7-2-7-9 (+4)

Thornton: 18-4-15-19 (-5)
Datsyuk: 18-5-15-20 (+7)

Reactions: Felidae

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Interesting, i didn’t remember that the sharks won twice. Good call. So similar point totals...

Point conceided, but i’ve just personally never been impressed by thornton in the playoffs. A while back there was a thread on the history board getzlaf vs thornton and most agreed, supported by multiple arguments, that getzlaf was the better player. I think it’s closer between getzlaf and datsyuk than it is between getzlaf and thornton.

Edit: just to explain, i’ve been unimpressed simply because often times he seemed like a passenger at even strength, mostly in the series against stronger opponents. When he scored that OT winner against LA or something and he slid on his back, i remember feeling « well finally jumbo does something in crunch time ».

Reactions: GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Interesting, i didn’t remember that the sharks won twice. Good call. So similar point totals...

Point conceided, but i’ve just personally never been impressed by thornton in the playoffs. A while back there was a thread on the history board getzlaf vs thornton and most agreed, supported by multiple arguments, that getzlaf was the better player. I think it’s closer between getzlaf and datsyuk than it is between getzlaf and thornton.

Edit: just to explain, i’ve been unimpressed simply because often times he seemed like a passenger at even strength, mostly in the series against stronger opponents. When he scored that OT winner against LA or something and he slid on his back, i remember feeling « well finally jumbo does something in crunch time ».
I will always be the one to say Thornton’s post season resume isn’t up to his standards given his regular season success.

But Thornton was hardly a passenger. He drove his line and the offense overall a majority of his career as a shark. Has he fallen flat? Yes absolutely, and he should shoulder some of that blame.

The only 2 years where Thornton wasn’t exactly doing well, but the team was, was 2010(lead by Pavelski, who was playing incredible) and 2013(was good in the first round, but very underwhelming in the second).

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
One thing to think about is this and thats why I lean Datsyuk.
The goal is to win in the playoffs. As much as Thornton may have been able to dominate in the regular season, in the playoffs every team studies their opponents much more deeply, and try to neutralize the strengths and attack the weaknesses of their star players.

The thing with SJ Thornton is he is so unlikely to shoot, teams know he’s always looking pass, and so overall I think he has less impact on the outcome of the game.
A guy like getzlaf is super playmaker, but he has a shot. So you see him pot much more goals than Thornton in the playoffs. Getzlaf’s overall ppg is still higher than Joe’s. Same with Datsyuk, except he’s also so unpredictable. You know he can snipe, he can pass, and he can deke the **** out of you. It’s much more difficult to match-up that kind of player so it allows that player to be more impactful.

I wonder how many of Joe’s playoff points are power play points.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
The thing with SJ Thornton is he is so unlikely to shoot, teams know he’s always looking pass, and so overall I think he has less impact on the outcome of the game.
A guy like getzlaf is super playmaker, but he has a shot. So you see him pot much more goals than Thornton in the playoffs. Getzlaf’s overall ppg is still higher than Joe’s. Same with Datsyuk, except he’s also so unpredictable. You know he can snipe, he can pass, and he can deke the **** out of you. It’s much more difficult to match-up that kind of player so it allows that player to be more impactful.

My biggest memory of Thornton was watching the Swiss game during the 2010 olympics, Canada ended up winning in the shootout.

I was watching the game with my family and my brother's family, during the shootout someone joked about sending Thornton out and my niece who was 9 at the time,who doesn't/didn't have an interest in hockey but was just watching the game with everyone said 'He'd probably pass the puck'.

Just about the truest thing I've ever heard.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
My biggest memory of Thornton was watching the Swiss game during the 2010 olympics, Canada ended up winning in the shootout.

I was watching the game with my family and my brother's family, during the shootout someone joked about sending Thornton out and my niece who was 9 at the time,who doesn't/didn't have an interest in hockey but was just watching the game with everyone said 'He'd probably pass the puck'.

Just about the truest thing I've ever heard.

This is the best hockey related story i’ve heard lol.
Hilarious

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad