Pavel Bure hype

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
The nostalgia in this thread..

"Bure got hooked!11one and 2-lien pass!!!!!"

I fail to see how mentioning the 2-line pass is nostalgia. It's just noting a historically factual change in the game. BUT LETS GET REALITY, MODERN ATHLETES EAT 1990S CHILDS.

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
Are there any numbers to show Bure's, Federov's, Gartner's, Bondra's and Selanne's speeds in games?

This chart means nothing to me when comparing Ovechkin and Bure speed wise. All it says is that Ovechkin is the fastest player in the league right now, that's all.

I may be nitpicking, but it doesn't say that. It says Ovechkin has the best acceleration in the league, and that Hagelin is the fastest player in the league not counting Kreider or Duchene.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Bure in his Florida day played embarassing defense. He was never good at it, but he was the worst offensive player in the league in his zone during that time. He was no where near what I'd call a tough player, he was great at cheapshots. He could lay out some really cheap retaliation hits/poetic justice that fans loved.

Still a true legend.

The guy's skating was amazing, he had Crosby-like lower body strength, the best stickhandling at top speed and probably had the best slapshot and accurate one timer of his time.

With the current defense and goaltending, he wouldn't score more, but he'd be in the running with Ovechkin and Stamkos yearly.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Bure in his Florida day played embarassing defense. He was never good at it, but he was the worst offensive player in the league in his zone during that time. He wasn't no where near what I'd call a tough player, he was great at cheapshots. He could lay out some really cheap retaliation hits/poetic justice that fans loved.

The guy's skating was amazing though, he had Crosby like lower body strength, the best stickhandling at top speed and probably had the best slapshot and accurate one timer of his time.

With the current defense and goaltending, he wouldn't score more, but he'd be in the running with Ovechkin and Stamkos yearly.

What he became really good at was shooting in stride. Phenonmenal really. He gave goalies no indication he was shooting by his stride and he had such a quick release. It was amazing to watch him with the puck. Just ****ing scary.

TheBaxMan*

Jan 7, 2012
Ottawa
I fail to see how mentioning the 2-line pass is nostalgia. It's just noting a historically factual change in the game. BUT LETS GET REALITY, MODERN ATHLETES EAT 1990S CHILDS.

Just relax, the players today are better. You can't do something for a long time and not get better at it.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Just relax, the players today are better. You can't do something for a long time and not get better at it.

Sure you can because humans aren't suddenly evolving at record paces and that goes for athletes as well.

Not a single player has gotten faster than Gartner, Coffey, Bure, Federov or Bondra.

Chara and Weber barely beat Bobby Hull's (played in the 60's) slapshot speed despite using composite sticks.

No one is stronger than Lindros, Jagr, Lemieux or Howe.

Not a single coach is implementing better defensive strategies than Bowman or Lemaire were.

Players though are getting lazier and finding more distractions than ever before (video games, social media....).

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
There are plenty of players in the game today on par with Bure.

What made him special was how far ahead of the curve he was compared to the players around him.

Most of the players in the league with Bure would get buried in today's NHL. Bure would fit right in.

So true. In only 10-15 years virtually every NHLer is of Bure's caliber. It is unbelievable how every player today is a superstar when virtually the entire NHL were pylons only 10 months.. Errr ten years ago.

Don't get me started on Goalies. Used to be they were all Darren Pang sized. Some of the top junior goalies are 7'6" now. Hard to believe one generation of human evolution sees men who grow 2 feet and are twice as fast and ten times as smart. It is a miracle!

Hard to believe the average size of a WWI soldier was only 4 feet tall and 80 lbs. Wow 100 years is a long time.

Soon hockey players will skate 50 MPH and have 200 MPH shots. I mean not that soon.... Probably take at least a dozen years.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Bure in his Florida day played embarassing defense. He was never good at it, but he was the worst offensive player in the league in his zone during that time. He was no where near what I'd call a tough player, he was great at cheapshots. He could lay out some really cheap retaliation hits/poetic justice that fans loved.

Still a true legend.

The guy's skating was amazing, he had Crosby-like lower body strength, the best stickhandling at top speed and probably had the best slapshot and accurate one timer of his time.

Agreed. He used to literally hang at the blue line waiting for a pass.

I do think the 2005/06 rule changes post-lockout would have really helped him alot. No centre line would have been a huge benefit to him.

Bure can be overrated... He was incredibly one dimensional (though at times like 1994 playoffs he could put in a 2-way game.

What is not overrated is his ability to do everything at absolutely full speed. No player I have seen has been able to make all sorts of moves and dekes and shoot at absolutely full speed all the time. There have been other great fast skaters, I don't think anyone I have seen could do everything at full speed. Maybe Orr but I didn't see him.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
The only similarity is that he wears #10 as a tribute to Bure.

Nail Yakupov plays nothing like Pavel Bure. Their styles differ significantly. Nail doesn't move around a lot with the puck; he's a shooter who seems to stand around the net and at the right faceoff circle looking for one-timers. His game has thus far had little do with speed or possession; as of now, it's all about shooting the puck from a stationary position. Yakupov isn't a very quick player, and he has no rush game for the most part. I think he scored his first breakaway goal this year.
I think that poster was being facetious. But I do think Yakupov relies on speed for his production. I could see his possession game developing somewhat in coming years. He has mad natural skills.

JA

I think that poster was being facetious. But I do think Yakupov relies on speed for his production. I could see his possession game developing somewhat in coming years. He has mad natural skills.

I don't think Nail is fast enough to do much with speed. Every time I see him in the neutral zone or defensive zone carrying the puck, he is forced to pass the puck. He doesn't move very quickly with the puck, and when he has it he seems to skate only in a straight line. I also haven't seen him try to deke past defenders either. He's quite average at offensive zone entries. I've only seen him score one breakaway goal, and I rarely see him generate opportunities with speed. Most of the time, he's either looking for rebounds or one-timers.

I don't think he's necessarily fast. He is fairly agile. He pivots well. When he played with Ales Hemsky, it was quite clear that Hemsky was much quicker.

I'd like to see him develop his possession game. He is not a very interesting player to watch. He really has to work at it because, as it stands, there's not much there. He stands still in the offensive zone and has no rush game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
I don't think Nail is fast enough to do much with speed. Every time I see him in the neutral zone or defensive zone carrying the puck, he is forced to pass the puck. He doesn't move very quickly with the puck, and when he has it he seems to skate only in a straight line. I also haven't seen him try to deke past defenders either. He's quite average at offensive zone entries. I've only seen him score one breakaway goal, and I rarely see him generate opportunities with speed. Most of the time, he's either looking for rebounds or one-timers.

I don't think he's necessarily fast. He is fairly agile. He pivots well. When he played with Ales Hemsky, it was quite clear that Hemsky was much quicker.

I'd like to see him develop his possession game. He is not a very interesting player to watch. He really has to work at it because, as it stands, there's not much there. He stands still in the offensive zone and has no rush game.
Fair enough, I agree with this post. I guess I should have said that he relies on agility for some of his production. His speed is maybe a bit above average and his agility is way above average. He has this jerkiness and ability to pivot well. Good attribute for a goal scorer to have. Puck possession may develop somewhat, but it is clear he doesn't think the game like Eberle or RNH since they have more of a playmaking aspect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad