Pavel Bure hype

delled

Oct 3, 2009
Sorry for the dramatic title, but I remember as a kid being into Bure when there were artices posted about him as a player It seemed like it was so much hype. Yet that was millions of years before the social network. Yet I see no one in the modern NHL of his calibre. I don't see anyone in the NHL being BURE.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I changed your dramatic title. You want to talk about Pavel Bure? Great.

MTrangers

Oct 26, 2012
Missoula, MT
When you start a thread you should pose it in a way that leads to conversation. Is there a question you want to ask? I don't know how anyone can respond to this.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Ovechkin is pretty much Bure, great goal scorer who doesn't play defense but Ovechkin is physical, that's the only difference.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Only guy that is even close to Bure now would be Ovechkin but Bure was a better pure finesse player.

Sucks his knees didn't hold up.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
I was so wrapped up in Pavel Bure everything when I was age 10 to whenever he was traded. The thrill I got when o found his card in a pack of Upperdeck to the highlights on U TV back when Don Taylor and Shorthouse were youngins too.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Ovechkin is pretty much Bure, great goal scorer who doesn't play defense but Ovechkin is physical, that's the only difference.
There was/is a tribute thread to Pavel Bure that goes into depths using video evidence to prove that Bure was an outstanding defensive player.

Alexander Ovechkin is no two-way slouch these days either.

However, in regards to the OP, Ovechkin is a great example. He's got a lot of 'hype.' He is easily the most exciting NHL player to watch and he is marketed as such.

illpucks

May 26, 2011

Misinformed post. Ovechkin plays defense. He had one off year defensively, but he's been great otherwise.

The Jesus*

That and the fact that they don't play alike at all.

Nobody has ever played the way Bure did. Except for maybe Orr. There hasn't been someone like him since he blew his knees out, and I seriously doubt we'll ever see another Bure in our lifetimes.

He was a legit, generational talent.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
There are plenty of players in the game today on par with Bure.

What made him special was how far ahead of the curve he was compared to the players around him.

Most of the players in the league with Bure would get buried in today's NHL. Bure would fit right in.

Bo Ho*

Not really, the only comparables are they are both prolific goal scoring Russians. Bure was a much better skater than Ovechkin, his first few strides were insanely explosive and he could blow by pretty much any player in the league. Bure also had better hands, while Ovechkin has a better shot overall (especially his one-timer).
Although I was young when Bure was in his prime, I'd say a modern day version would be Datsyuk (offensively speaking) with Grabner's explosive skating.

FinRuutu

Red Wins
Feb 7, 2010
Helsinki
Nostalgia makes great players even greater. Those who were men playing with boys are now gods among men.

Players back then weren't super humans and players back then didn't have more skill than players have now its quite the opposite. Average NHL player is twice the player average NHL player was back in 80's or early 90's.

FinRuutu

Red Wins
Feb 7, 2010
Helsinki
Not really, the only comparables are they are both prolific goal scoring Russians. Bure was a much better skater than Ovechkin, his first few strides were insanely explosive and he could blow by pretty much any player in the league. Bure also had better hands, while Ovechkin has a better shot overall (especially his one-timer).
Although I was young when Bure was in his prime, I'd say a modern day version would be Datsyuk (offensively speaking) with Grabner's explosive skating.

You mention that Bure's few first strides were insanely explosive and you're right, but that only makes him more like Ovechkin not less.

IgkesiM.png

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Erik Karlsson pre-achilles slice was the closest present comparable to Bure. He made everyone else look like peewee players when he turned on the jets, and had the hands and the shot to match.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
You mention that Bure's few first strides were insanely explosive and you're right, but that only makes him more like Ovechkin not less.

OV is the closest the NHL has to Bure. Except:

Bure was a better defensive player, who holds a Vancouver record for short-handed goals. Bure was a better skater (in his day) than OV. Bure also IMO had more creativity than OV does, but that's not to say OV has low creativity, that would be stupid. Bure IMO also a better passer.

OV is a much better shooter, stronger, and at full speed OV is probably faster than Bure by a country mile.

In short, Ovechkin has better tools but Bure was more cerebral.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010

IgkesiM.png

I wont disagree with ovechkin being an explosive skter but I really dont trust that graph. Tavares isnt the 5th or 6th explosive skater in the league and not having Mackinnon just kills the credibility

Bo Ho*

I'm confused, where are players like Helm, Grabner, etc. on that graph? I'm on my phone so I can read it that well

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Most of the players in the league with Bure would get buried in today's NHL. Bure would fit right in.

Average NHL player is twice the player average NHL player was back in 80's or early 90's.

So now, not only players in the '80s and prior sucked. So too did players in the '90s!

Once the century changed, the NHL became special, apparently. :laugh:

Awaiting the first thread about how players prior to 2010 were lousy. Should be coming any day now.

Amusing HF, void of even a hint of knowledge and respect for this great game's history and even recent past.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad