Pavel Bure hype

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
You mention that Bure's few first strides were insanely explosive and you're right, but that only makes him more like Ovechkin not less.

IgkesiM.png

Are you using math on HFBoards?

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Are you using math on HFBoards?

[MOD]

Are there any numbers to show Bure's, Federov's, Gartner's, Bondra's and Selanne's speeds in games?

This chart means nothing to me when comparing Ovechkin and Bure speed wise. All it says is that Ovechkin is the fastest player in the league right now, that's all.

Last edited by a moderator:

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
This is the same BS I keep hearing, I would like to see the reasoning behind this with actual evidence to back up this claim.

As for defensemen, Bure played in what is considered largely as the Golden Age of Elite defensemen. You had Bourque, Leetch, Chelios, Pronger, Coffey, Stevens, Niedermayer, Blake, Zubov, MacInnis and Lidstrom all playing and all were relatively in their primes when Bure was in his prime. All those defensemen were not just great offensively (in most cases) but also very mobile and were amazing defensively.

If anything, the defense (elite status speaking) is rather weak in today's NHL.

As for goalies being weak, Hasek, Brodeur, Roy, Cujo, Vanbiesbrouck, Dafoe, Kolzig, Belfour all say hello.

These claims are utter nonsense. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that goalies, defenses and defensive strategies are better in today's NHL. Also goalies played 70 + games regularly and still put up those great numbers they did.

All goalies do now is go down and take up the entire bottom half of the net, and since players like Ovechkin and Stamkos exploit this now, if Jagr, Bure, Selanne, Karyia, Lindros, Sakic, Lemieux (all amazing shooters) were playing in their prime in today's NHL, they would exploit these weaknesses to no end.

Until someone can actually explain to me why a very old, very slow and heavy Jagr is still a very good 2nd or 1st line player in the NHL today (with this so called harder NHL today) then all these claims will be just nonsense.

False. While there was some seriously good top-end talent in the NHL back then, the overall NHL player is better now then ever. More talent to choose from, it's how the league as managed to expand and is on the cusp of expanding again.

I'd say we are in the golden age of defenseman right now, the amount of elite Dmen under 30 is mind blowing.

I'd say you're clouded by nostalgic memories. Ovechkin is a far more dominant player than Bure was, it's really not even open for discussion.

Jagr still plays in the NHL today because he is a physical specimen. Same way Howe managed to stay relevant back in his day too.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Ovechkin is pretty much Bure, great goal scorer who doesn't play defense but Ovechkin is physical, that's the only difference.

Bure was a good two-way player. He wasn't physical in the sense that he finished every check but he was hard to knock off the puck. Freakish lower body strength. Really one of the best skaters to ever play the game.

Ovechkin also doesn't hit nearly as much or as hard as he used to either (which is good for everyone because it just needlessly wore him down and he was borderline dirty far too often).

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
This is the same BS I keep hearing, I would like to see the reasoning behind this with actual evidence to back up this claim.

As for defensemen, Bure played in what is considered largely as the Golden Age of Elite defensemen. You had Bourque, Leetch, Chelios, Pronger, Coffey, Stevens, Niedermayer, Blake, Zubov, MacInnis and Lidstrom all playing and all were relatively in their primes when Bure was in his prime. All those defensemen were not just great offensively (in most cases) but also very mobile and were amazing defensively.

If anything, the defense (elite status speaking) is rather weak in today's NHL.

As for goalies being weak, Hasek, Brodeur, Roy, Cujo, Vanbiesbrouck, Dafoe, Kolzig, Belfour all say hello.

These claims are utter nonsense. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that goalies, defenses and defensive strategies are better in today's NHL. Also goalies played 70 + games regularly and still put up those great numbers they did.

Waaaaaaaay back in 2000 (ancient history ;)), all the players had webbed feet and hands, didn't you know? The game has evolved exponentially in the 15 or so years... since "I" started watching it.

Anything that transpired prior is meaningless and inferior!

That's how it works around here.

Shwaguy*

Bure was a better a Kessel

Bure is what I see what Kessel could have been if he had that extra gear everyone wishes he had

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
This is what I've always thought. Absolutely tremendous wheels with the puck and a great shot. Bure had better production of course, but stylistically those are the best matches I can think of.

Kessel plays nothing like Bure. Bure's hands were much better and he was a much more agile skater. I think I've seen Kessel deke a goalie maybe 2 or 3 times in his career, otherwise he's lasering shots in off the rush.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Pavel Bure was the most breathtaking offensive player I ever saw. Absolutely exciting every time he had the puck. Absolute danger if you were the other team. I was scared of him. And when he was on the Rangers even with half a tank he was still a beast despite bad knees. What a monster monster offensive player. Incredibly underrated if you ask me. :handclap:

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Most exciting player I've ever seen, and probably ever will see.

Maybe the most talented as well....God damn was he sensational.

Fred Taylor

The Cyclone
Sep 20, 2011
Defensemen, and team defense for that matter, weren't anything like it is today. Neither was the goaltending. Bure was amazing, but those are factors to consider.

That made Bure extra electrifying in his day, but there were others who had that edge-of-your seat hype back then too ... Mogilny and Bondra are two that come to mind.

I'd say Tarasenko is a guy who fits that category right now. I can only imagine what it would've been like if he had poor defensemen and goalies trying to stop him on a nightly basis.

Yeah, Bure wasn't fast, strong, or skilled enough to be elite in today's NHL. :sarcasm:

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Bure was unreal in an era that had 2 line passes and an era where clutching and grabbing and whacking were the norm. He still scored a ton of goals, just imagine in an era with no 2 line pass and no one can hold you up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad