Prospect Info: Pavel Buchnevich Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I have full faith that the team is taking care of Buchy off the ice, but this is, well, it's something to read...

It's quite the jump going from Russia to the united States especially with no friends or family.

He looked fantastic last night for the blues. Makes me jealous we didn't go after him

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I have full faith that the team is taking care of Buchy off the ice, but this is, well, it's something to read...

Pretty sad. I can't imagine going through something like that, even after being in the NHL for a few seasons.

As for the point about Buch, I'm sure the Rangers are helping him out as best as they can. Especially his teammates, even if it's little things and including him when possible, like what Hayes did in the little video they had about them training with the NYPD for the day.

As he learns more and more English, doing things socially will become easier and easier. And I think NYC has a bit more to offer than Edmonton does.

I have full faith that the organization and it's players will make sure Buch doesn't feel like Yak did with the Oilers.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Pretty sad. I can't imagine going through something like that, even after being in the NHL for a few seasons.

As for the point about Buch, I'm sure the Rangers are helping him out as best as they can. Especially his teammates. As he learns more and more English, doing things socially will become easier and easier. And I think NYC has a bit more to offer than Edmonton does.

I have full faith that the organization and it's players will make sure Buch doesn't feel like Yak did with the Oilers.

Yep, me too. Kasparaitis was at the game last night. Wonder if the team let him and Buch have some face time.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
isnt edmonton a super small town thats always freezing?

i wouldnt wanna live there.

i can see why hed be so miserable...i would too...but i dont think his play on the ice can be so easily explained with just that.

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
He was bad defensively last night. Not unexpected or a huge deal considering it was his first NHL game and that's not his strength.

However, on the bright side, how about that pass to Kreider! Honestly, I thought people would be making a bigger deal out of it. I've never seen a slapshot pass like that where it hits the guy mid-level in stride for a breakaway. Really looked like a quarterback to a receiver on ice. Showed great vision throughout the game (very similar to Zucc), and seems like he's going to be a great player.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Plus NYC has the Brighton Beach area whenever Buchy needs a little slice of home. IDK if Edmonton had that to offer Yak.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
He was bad defensively last night. Not unexpected or a huge deal considering it was his first NHL game and that's not his strength.

However, on the bright side, how about that pass to Kreider! Honestly, I thought people would be making a bigger deal out of it. I've never seen a slapshot pass like that where it hits the guy mid-level in stride for a breakaway. Really looked like a quarterback to a receiver on ice. Showed great vision throughout the game (very similar to Zucc), and seems like he's going to be a great player.

the thing i like about buch is i really cant read what hes going to do on the ice whatsoever.

so many players, even at that high of a level, telegraph what they are going to do. Ryan McDonagh is another player whose VERY good at throwing people off with unexpected stuff...

getting back to buch...he doesnt seem to look where hes passing, he doesnt seem to look where hes shooting...he doesnt seem to go at super fast speeds or super slow speeds...its like...you have literally no clue what hes going to do at any given time...this makes playing with him incredibly difficult because even as a linemate, you have tendancies that you read...but if a guy is totally unpredictable, then its tough...i think the fact that hes working so well with Kreider and Zib means you cant move him off that line....i feel like other players would have a much harder time playing with a guy like him.

ive got a guy on my beer league team...where i can not read his game whatsoever...we just cant play together...put us on separate lines and we both produce like madmen...put us together, and it drops to nothing.

chemistry is important.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
the thing i like about buch is i really cant read what hes going to do on the ice whatsoever.

so many players, even at that high of a level, telegraph what they are going to do. Ryan McDonagh is another player whose VERY good at throwing people off with unexpected stuff...

getting back to buch...he doesnt seem to look where hes passing, he doesnt seem to look where hes shooting...he doesnt seem to go at super fast speeds or super slow speeds...its like...you have literally no clue what hes going to do at any given time...this makes playing with him incredibly difficult because even as a linemate, you have tendancies that you read...but if a guy is totally unpredictable, then its tough...i think the fact that hes working so well with Kreider and Zib means you cant move him off that line....i feel like other players would have a much harder time playing with a guy like him.

ive got a guy on my beer league team...where i can not read his game whatsoever...we just cant play together...put us on separate lines and we both produce like madmen...put us together, and it drops to nothing.

chemistry is important.

I agree, this is a real strength of his.

Seems like every game he plays he takes at least one dangerous shot where absolutely nobody, including the other goalie, saw it coming. He launched one at an awkward angle from really tight against his leg last night and Halak was lucky to be in position. I believe he did the same thing through someone's legs in an earlier preseason game. Not just his release, but his entire shot process is very, very fast and comes out of nowhere.

He should be riding shotgun with Kreider and Zib until/unless the line really struggles for a few games. Right now they all seem to be able to read each other well and they're working as a unit. He doesn't need to be a "top line player" yet to work on our top line with two established guys.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
isnt edmonton a super small town thats always freezing?

i wouldnt wanna live there.

i can see why hed be so miserable...i would too...but i dont think his play on the ice can be so easily explained with just that.

Sounds like Russia :sarcasm:

d414666fe5322d7e72564f684eaad900.jpg

TheDave1022

Nov 4, 2008
Carmel, NY
NYC should be a much better environment plus as x BEUKEBOOM x said, there is brooklyn with lots of russians. He should be fine here, but of course he would miss his family. It seems like he has a good personality around the team, so I'm sure the single guys would hang out with him when they go out

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I read Larry Brooks yesterday about Vesey saying he went out to dinner with Hayes,Pavel and Jooris on Wednesday.They were going crazy during the meal following Auston Mathews scoring 4 goals in one game. Pavel is fitting in fine with the Rangers group.

Last edited:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I read Larry Brooks yesterday mention Kevin Hayes saying he went out to dinner with Vesey,Pavel and Jooris on Wednesday.They were going crazy during the meal following Auston Mathews scoring 4 goals in one game. Pavel is fitting in fine with the Rangers group.

I love this.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Vesey told Brooks. Not Hayes. I corrected it.

Regardless, it's great to see that the young bachelors on the team are getting together to socialize, have dinner in the city (or on the outskirts) and have a good time while going crazy over Matthews' 4 goal night.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Up and down game for him, but that's expected at his age.

I think he'll be high risk high reward all year, as evidenced by his terrible play on the islanders 2nd goal followed by a uniquely creative play on Kreiders goal.

Oh and for all the AV bashers pining for the days of Torts, Buchnevich would've been stapled to the bench after the 2nd islander goal in a torts regime.

It really wasn't a terrible play. The Isles defenseman deflected his pass to place where an Isles player could skate in stride out of the zone. We didn't back check well enough on that play.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
I like the point about NYC offering the Brighton area, this is absolutely crucial. My parents still do grocery shopping in Brighton 24 years after moving to America. Brighton/Sheepshead Bay is truly Russian turf that allows for Russian Americans to reconnect with their culture. Hopefully Buch finds himself there someday and realizes just how close he really is to home.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There is no defending this play. It was a bad decision. The guy deflected it because it was a piss poor decision.

Where was the back checking though? The puck wasn't deflected to our zone. With some better back checking, it wouldn't have been an odd man rush. There was plenty of time to get back on defense, it didn't develop that quickly. Our forwards, and Buch included didn't do a good enough job with their transition defense, so they created an odd man rush.

The transition defense was terrible last season and bad on two of the three goals yesterday. I don't know if its the coaching or lazy play by the forwards, but we can't have two defenseman defending against three or four players every time someone turns the puck over.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
It really wasn't a terrible play. The Isles defenseman deflected his pass to place where an Isles player could skate in stride out of the zone. We didn't back check well enough on that play.

Its just a silly pass to make with a 1 goal lead in the 3rd. He'll learn. Played pretty well other than that. No need to be a homer.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I like the point about NYC offering the Brighton area, this is absolutely crucial. My parents still do grocery shopping in Brighton 24 years after moving to America. Brighton/Sheepshead Bay is truly Russian turf that allows for Russian Americans to reconnect with their culture. Hopefully Buch finds himself there someday and realizes just how close he really is to home.

It's not a close trip - about one hour each way and then what? Get a lunch in a cafe maybe a little grocery shopping. Still it will be pretty lonely. I'm happier to read about him socializing with his teammates. Good for morale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad