Confirmed with Link: Paul Stastny one year 3.75

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Definitely happy with this signing. He's versatile and can step into a top 6 centre position if Schiefele or PLD get hurt. This has dinged us the past two years so it is nice to have depth here. Great leadership, can be used on the PP, still has skill and the term is right to maintain roster flexibility in the future.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Pretty happy with it! I would have taken him back for a one year contract in a heartbeat but my assumption would have been that Paul would prefer to sign somewhere else for multiple years and therefore more overall money like 2years 6M. He must really like the guys and Winnipeg! I wonder if he regrets not re-signing with the Jets instead of Vegas in the first place now. Maybe not regret but at least ask himself the question whether he'd make the same decision again.

Reactions: flyingkiwi

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
You gotta give guys signing in Winnipeg a little extra money so they can buy some snow tires... :sarcasm:

I like Stastny but he's not getting younger, or quicker. Fine for a stopgap one year deal. If Perfetti can barge his way into the lineup and move Stastny to the wing, all the better.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
But this is exactly the situation that teams with a positive culture that attract other players ends up in.

Let's face it, a lot of players don't want to play in western Canada. To overcome that, the teams here have to show the players that they have a team culture and environment that's attractive, as well as a chance to win.

It would be to the financial advantage of every team to get rid of their older players when they start to slow down or start to make too much money, but you know that players around the league will notice it, and be reluctant to come here. Is Wheeler overpaid now? Of course he is! It makes up for all the years he was grossly underpaid...that's how the system works, for better or worse. Other players see it, and know that if they come to Winnipeg, they can trust the team to look after him.

Every good team has overpaid veterans. It's part of the price of being successful.
I'm not too fussed about it because it's only one year...but not sure I fully buy in to your argument.

Wheeler got a loyalty contract and I got that logic, being a loyal-to-a-fault person myself.
Stastny turned down the Jets offer 3 seasons ago and followed the money, pure and simple. It was all business, no hard feelings either way.

The team culture here is great, but the opportunity to win in a flat cap environment requires an extremely disciplined approach. The Jets are still one key player away from having a serious "chance to win" and that means every $1M counts.

Enough said--he is a favourite of his teammates and management, and I would not be surprised if he retires after this season and stays with the team in some capacity. That's worth something in itself...but the AAV didn't make it any easier to afford our one key remaining piece this season.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I like Paul. What I won't like is if we traded Patrik Laine for a PLD that plays wing.

Agree. Important point.

I like Stats, and while 3.75 is high compared to what some top vets have signed for elsewhere, I view him as taking on several roles for one salary:

a) Crafty player with top-end positional skills capable of playing up and down and centre to wing
b) Excellent role model and mentor for our top young talent
3) Gudvet that can actually play and hopefully prevent the signing of 2 x gudvets in the Thompson mould.

I do share others' concerns that he blocks our PLD and will overplayed by Maurice, even when he's clearly slowing a bit, as he did last year.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I guess i wouldn’t mind that, but I would hope Harkins gets his shot over French Jesus

Me too, but MP85's positive influence was on full display last season -- pretty much every line he played on was better for his presence, and he was the absolutely the fulcrum of that 4th line so beloved by PoMo -- they tended to nosedive when he left it.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I like Paul. What I won't like is if we traded Patrik Laine for a PLD that plays wing.
And then see a line of Stats-Wheels & Scheifele 22+ minutes a night and continue to be 1st/2nd in the league for high-quality-danger shots/ scoring opportunities against!
PoMo better spread the wealth of exp'd talent vets with youth inversion over top 3 lines.
Something like 81-55-91(ColeP),
27-13-26,
25-19(DGus)-93(KVes),
21(DToninato)-17-12(JHrkns)

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
And then see a line of Stats-Wheels & Scheifele 22+ minutes a night and continue to be 1st/2nd in the league for high-quality-danger shots/ scoring opportunities against!
PoMo better spread the wealth of exp'd talent vets with youth inversion over top 3 lines.
Something like 81-55-91(ColeP),
27-13-26,
25-19(DGus)-93(KVes),
21(DToninato)-17-12(JHrkns)
There is zero chance Lowry is not our 3C

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Love Stastny's smarts on the ice and if Dubois struggles at center we can throw Stastny in at center and Dubois to the wing . It's only 1 year so i have no problem with this. Gotta figure Frenchie is gone unless he signs really cheap.
Yah, a little worried on Chevy overpaying Frenchie too, and youth gets stymied and team rides the mediocre waves into mediocre success again. I liked Frenchie's game with Jets most of last season but 3 previous seasons he showed lots of negative play more than helping positively. Contract year better effort syndrome? I think Toninato can bring most of Frenchies upside and already signed for league minmum. Also have hopeful infusion of Ves and Gus and Perfectti. With Statsny signed I think there is enough potential bodies there to end the need for more "senior forward help". PoMo and Chevy probably dont agree, so look for a few more vet signings by early Sept.:(:(

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Chevy isn't going to allow Paul to use him at center on the second line over Dubois. Dubois is a long term priority by this org and they will put him in the best shot to succeed this year to maximize the chances that he breaksout and wants to reups long term here.

It's Perfetti being blocked I'm more concerned with

Reactions: WiscoJet

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Definitely ok with having Stastny back but can’t help but feel a bit of a sting from when everything was rolling and he burned us to go to Vegas. It feels a touch like too little too late this time around when he’s aged and regressing and our team isn’t as dominant as a few years ago.

Nonetheless he’s a good veteran player to have for middle 6 duties.

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016

So now Winnipeg is a good fit for Paul and his family. It wasn't 3 years ago but now it is. Now it's a good fit because no other team is willing to pay Paul more than 1 million a year except our idiot GM who is willing to pay almost 4 times that. What a waste of $2.75 million of cap space.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
So now Winnipeg is a good fit for Paul and his family. It wasn't 3 years ago but now it is. Now it's a good fit because no other team is willing to pay Paul more than 1 million a year except our idiot GM who is willing to pay almost 4 times that. What a waste of $2.75 million of cap space.
he would 100% get more than a million from any team....

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Or maybe being in Vegas for a while made him realize the grass is greener here. Well, literally it has to be. Las Vegas is in a f***ing desert! :laugh:

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
he would 100% get more than a million from any team....
Clearly. Some people need to see some of the crazy contracts being thrown at UFA. As it is, the Jets have some of the best bargains in the league (Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Ehlers, Connor, Morrissey).

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
Winnipeg was a good fit for him three years ago, too, but Vegas was willing to pay him huge amounts of money for three years, which the Jets couldn't do at that time, nor should they have. When you make that kind of money, anywhere is a good fit. If I liked Winnipeg better than Calgary (who doesn't?) but Calgary was going to pay me $3 million more than Winnipeg, I guess I'm moving west and buying a horse. Doesn't mean I'm happy about it.

And the $1 million claim is delusional.

Reactions: Teemusalami204

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad