Confirmed with Link: Paul Stastny one year 3.75

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Love Stastny's smarts on the ice and if Dubois struggles at center we can throw Stastny in at center and Dubois to the wing . It's only 1 year so i have no problem with this. Gotta figure Frenchie is gone unless he signs really cheap.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Too much money for Stastny. He was looking very tired in the playoffs, and had a hard time keeping up, and pretty much invisible.

At 2.5 to $ 2.8 mil, I would have considered this contract as a good center for the 4 th line, and fill in center on the 3rd line in the event of injury.

At 1 year, it's OK, but I'd rather see the Jets ice our young players.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
One of my favourites. He sure doesn't have wheels anymore though. But a good offseason regimen, and no doubt he can help this team, in a lot of ways.

I wonder how this signing will affect Copp's value. One year left as well, but Stats probably gets PP1 again and top 6, while Copp gets top 9, top PK, 2nd PP. After this signing I can't see the Jets giving Copp anywhere over $4 million.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Love Stastny's smarts on the ice and if Dubois struggles at center we can throw Stastny in at center and Dubois to the wing . It's only 1 year so i have no problem with this. Gotta figure Frenchie is gone unless he signs really cheap.

Dubois was so bad on the draw coming to the Western Conference, that Stastny probably gets the nod. I love this signing, because Stastny is the kind of leader to offset Wheeler, and now you are starting to look competitive after today's moves, that might affect the allure of free agents wanting to win.

Reactions: Jets 31

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Stastny is a great guy but 3.75M was too much money, considering their cap costraints. I felt similarly about Wheeler's contract, even though I respect him as an individual.
The Jets Achilles heel is they are loyal to a certain type of player-leader to a fault.

Reactions: Bigfish and GNP

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Love the 1-year term, however I think it's a bit pricey for a player who has paced ~42 points in an 82 game season two years in a row. I also wanted some roster turn over so Mo doesn't just fall back into his comfort zone with line combinations, and play Stastny top 6 top PP all season once again. I do like Stastny though and think he's a useful player, and clearly gets along in the room. I think he will also be a useful player to have as insurance if Perfetti doesn't make the team out of camp.

I'm kind of torn on this, I just don't think he will be utilized properly according to his ability. Also with this signing I find it unlikely that we'll be re-signing Copp; and it almost guarantees we won't be throwing money at Hamilton (not that he would have came here anyway).

Having lost Appleton, we needed to add (retain) some F strength. I hope we give Matty P 1 year also, for quite a bit less money than Stats.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
We never should've let him walk away in the first place. We offered 2x6.5 and 3x? but didn't give him 3x6.5 because we were afraid of the last year. Lo and behold, the only thing we got was that 3rd year, giving Vegas the 2 good ones. We also lost Armia to open up the cap space to re-sign him in the first place, which never happened. He was the best rental fit we've ever had.

DharmaBum

Just like a young Dave Ellett
Nov 14, 2010
Winnipeg
I like it! He's still got the moves. A guy that can play anywhere in the lineup and is a good asset to have.
I would love to have Stastny as a skills coach/mentor that would work with our young forward group, after retirement.
XwHqnCa.mp4

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Depending on what happens with Copp, Stastny can be 3LW or 3 RW or 4C. And PP2 time. Hope he is not a top 6 guy on the Jets. Chevy/Maurice need to mix up the groupings.

Reactions: Jack7222

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Good signing. Good term... I wouldn't want to sign him for more than 1 year. JMO, but I think all players 35+ should be signed year to year. No multiyear contracts for old guys.

Reactions: blues10

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
A 1 yr term is perfect and it’s a little high in dollars, but acceptable
Just look at it this way, we paid Frenchie 4 million last season and i think we get more out of Stastny than Frenchie and a little cheaper to boot.

Reactions: BatVader

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I know some people have soured on Stastny, but this is a good signing for the Jets. The guy may not be as fast as he once was but he is an excellent two way forward who can play C or W. And a good faceoff guy. People that say faceoffs don't matter have never played the game. Good job, Chevy and Paul.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrBoJangelz71

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
Stastny is a great guy but 3.75M was too much money, considering their cap costraints. I felt similarly about Wheeler's contract, even though I respect him as an individual.
The Jets Achilles heel is they are loyal to a certain type of player-leader to a fault.
But this is exactly the situation that teams with a positive culture that attract other players ends up in.

Let's face it, a lot of players don't want to play in western Canada. To overcome that, the teams here have to show the players that they have a team culture and environment that's attractive, as well as a chance to win.

It would be to the financial advantage of every team to get rid of their older players when they start to slow down or start to make too much money, but you know that players around the league will notice it, and be reluctant to come here. Is Wheeler overpaid now? Of course he is! It makes up for all the years he was grossly underpaid...that's how the system works, for better or worse. Other players see it, and know that if they come to Winnipeg, they can trust the team to look after him.

Every good team has overpaid veterans. It's part of the price of being successful.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
I always wonder why older players like Paul are not rested on back to backs? You would think that having those 6 or 7 nights off would pay dividends towards the end of the season....and bringing a fresh player into the lineup would be beneficial?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad