Coach Discussion: Paul Maurice: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
If the Jets are 3 and 7 at the start of the season my guess Chevy will pull the trigger and replace him but replace him with who? If the Jets are a bubble team he may get 30-40 games. If the Jets are top 3 in division PoMo will last the year. As for extensions (assuming he survives the season) I see no need to extend PoMo until after the season and we see if the Jets are a contending team or not. Winning at lease 1 playoff round would probably get him a 2-3 year extension. Jets should be one of the league's top scoring teams next season so PoMo future as a Jets coach is totally in the hand of the goaltenders. If Mason and Helly don't produce PoMo is history.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
If the Jets are 3 and 7 at the start of the season my guess Chevy will pull the trigger and replace him but replace him with who? If the Jets are a bubble team he may get 30-40 games. If the Jets are top 3 in division PoMo will last the year. As for extensions (assuming he survives the season) I see no need to extend PoMo until after the season and we see if the Jets are a contending team or not. Winning at lease 1 playoff round would probably get him a 2-3 year extension. Jets should be one of the league's top scoring teams next season so PoMo future as a Jets coach is totally in the hand of the goaltenders. If Mason and Helly don't produce PoMo is history.
The Jets roster to my way of thinking doesn't scream out "bubble team"
Chevy won't allow Maurice the extra time to figure it out because I fully expect Chipman is expecting playoffs at the very least.
I think catastrophic injuries would be the only allowed excuse.
Chevy won't go down with the ship because of Maurice's inability to utilize a very good roster, I just don't see beyond 25 games if it's trending south.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
October's schedule with home games bolded...
TO
Calgary
Oilers
Nucks
Canes
CBJ
Wild
Pens
CBJ
Pens
Wild
I wouldn't be shocked if the Jets go 3-8 or 4-7 to start the season. So much is so dependent on our goaltending this year.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'd Like to Believe as Well ???

Every coach has deficiencies that are covered by their personnel if they are winning the Cup. Hawks and Wings fans hate Q and Babcock :laugh:

I'm on board to send Maurice packing if it doesn't work this year. But 2/3 seasons, Chevy gave him a team emphasising development, not winning. I still believe in Maurice.

I'd like to believe in Maurice, just like you do ? and see him be successful. This is one of the problems here-he's a good salesman, and knows how to talk the talk.

His performance and results haven't been there though ? and this is the problem. There were excuses ( real ones) that were critical, like goaltending, but now, there's "no more excuses"

If by 25-30 games he's below 500 -- it's time to let Maurice go, as this team is to stacked with star power, "not to perform." They should be right up there, and don't forget, they won their last 7 games straight. With Mason in net, I can see a good coach driving them to like 10-12 game winning streaks. Let's see how it goes !!!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
October's schedule with home games bolded...
TO
Calgary
Oilers
Nucks
Canes
CBJ
Wild
Pens
CBJ
Pens
Wild
I wouldn't be shocked if the Jets go 3-8 or 4-7 to start the season. So much is so dependent on our goaltending this year.

PMo just needs to get hypnotized so he believes we are in the last 11 games of the season and out of the playoff race. That should guarantee we get off to a 8-3 start easily.

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
So apparently PoMo implements the 1 to 1 coverage system. I wonder if this is what the other more defense successful coaches do. Or is PMo an old dog?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Short lease, no Mo's on a choker chain and it will get yanked real hard if the team flounders out of the gate!~

Last edited:

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
This looks like the most recent “coach” thread. If not my apologies.

Maurice was out coached last night and it started with the lineup card.

Laviolette knows Maurice enough to know that if he dressed Hartnell, Maurice would keep Hendricks in the lineup. This then made th Jets a 3 line team and advantage Preds.

Early on the Preds went right at that 4th line by making quick changes and getting a couple favourable match ups.

In playoff hockey when the line is so close between teams small things make a big difference.

Hendricks certainly did not cost us the game but he did not give us the best chance to win.

We could have had a much better balanced lineup on the ice last night. Would be nice to get a 4th line goal rather than be fishing the puck out of our own net. For their 6 minutes of play the 4th line stunk for the most part.

Hopefullly Maurice can have a bounce back game. He can start by dressing a more competitive lineup and making some adjustments.

I hope he can change my view of him as an NHL coach.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
From the pre-game interview it had sounded like he didn't really want more than one change at a time since they won the last game. Speaking generally, he said he wasn't against putting multiple guys back in the lineup, but the implication in hindsight was that he felt he could win with Hendricks in. My only guess is that he wanted Perreault to be 100% for sure for game 5, and hoped that home ice matchups would allow Hendricks to not be too exposed in game 4. The thing is, Armia swapping with Roslo isn't nearly the upgrade as Hendricks w/ Perreault (or Roslo).

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Just an interesting tidbit. JMo and Trouba let the team in shifts, yet played ten minutes less than Buff and Myers. That is what you call tinkering gone wrong.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
From the pre-game interview it had sounded like he didn't really want more than one change at a time since they won the last game. Speaking generally, he said he wasn't against putting multiple guys back in the lineup, but the implication in hindsight was that he felt he could win with Hendricks in. My only guess is that he wanted Perreault to be 100% for sure for game 5, and hoped that home ice matchups would allow Hendricks to not be too exposed in game 4. The thing is, Armia swapping with Roslo isn't nearly the upgrade as Hendricks w/ Perreault (or Roslo).

I heard Munz float that "doesn't like to make too many changes at once" idea this morning. I can't even begin to understand that reasoning. How could the "possible" negative impact of inserting 2 instead of 1 players into the line-up even come close to the potential benefit of having Perrault on the 4th line instead of Hendricks?

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Why do the media accept the astrology backed logic can't make 2 changes to the lineup at the same time nonsense?

PoMo will just make up whatever the flunky media folk will eat. Has anyone ever come away from a PoMo explanation for a terrible roster decision and thought, that's a great reason, he so smart?

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Why do the media accept the astrology backed logic can't make 2 changes to the lineup at the same time nonsense?

PoMo will just make up whatever the flunky media folk will eat. Has anyone ever come away from a PoMo explanation for a terrible roster decision and thought, that's a great reason, he so smart?
Didn’t Laviolette make two roster changes last night? Must only apply to 2 forwards.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
What I took away from the Maurice decision explanation to the hockey press about Pereault / Hendricks was that he needed to come up with something that sounds good if you say it fast, to explain the inexplicable. The problem is that Maurice didn't do enough homework on his excuse that you can't make two roster changes from one game to the next. If he had done that homework, he would have realized that the guy he is competing with, Laviolette, made two roster changes from G3 to G4, and beat him. So much for that BS narrative.

Reactions: Board Bard

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
The issue I have with these situations is that PoMo has a reason to lie. He doesn't want to provide what he kn own is not an acceptable reason for a coach at this level. The reason is either superstition or he pandering to the extreme. That should not be happening at this level.

To beat the best you take every advantage you have available to you. The fact that a coach at this peak of the field willingly makes suboptimal decisions should have to answer for them. That's not necessarily directly to the fans, but if coaches can't be trusted to put winning over superstition, ego, or self preservation, internal leadership needs to stop giving these guys jobs. TNSE keeps upping those ticket prices, demand more from them.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I heard Munz float that "doesn't like to make too many changes at once" idea this morning. I can't even begin to understand that reasoning. How could the "possible" negative impact of inserting 2 instead of 1 players into the line-up even come close to the potential benefit of having Perrault on the 4th line instead of Hendricks?

The Preds changed out two yesterday and did ok. :)

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Brandon Tanev has legitimately played better than Connor and Ehlers this playoff and we're blaming the coach for who plays on the 4th line. Seems legit.

Reactions: tacogeoff

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
This isn't to say PoMo isn't good at plenty of things, but some of these coaches are really bad at things they shouldn't be. Either take away responsibility for those things, or stop hiring these guys.

I think the way pro sports structures a coaching staff is way outdated. It should be collaborating experts not a hierarchy.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Didn't they just re-up him a year early to a new multi-year agreement? I am pretty sure that means that he has a reeeeeaaaaaaaallllllllyyyyyyy long leash right now.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I haven't read the other posts but I say this. The last game was all on P'Mo. For some reason he would double-shift the first line into exhaustion in the first two periods, while at the same time keeping Stastny and Laine on the bench almost as much as the other forwards in the team. By the time he woke up and started really mixing things up in the third period, it was already a bit too late. Laine scored the clutch goal and got to play lot when the game was closing in. Might have had another one if he was not sticked at the hands when he crossed the blueline and was about to shoot at the dying minutes of the game (how it was not penalised was just an awful call by the reffs). Nevertheless Maurice should have divided the ice time better between the two best offensive lines. Also Ehlers was not able to contribute much anything for Scheifele and Wheelers but he was there anyway, so the original change did no good to anyone. The line mixes at the end was a good move and a positive signal. Perhaps he will come to realise you cannot win the series with one line only. I'll give him some credit for at least trying. Now I'd like to see the old ESL line back again and Wheelers with Stastny. This could be a game changing decision. Lets see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad