Coach Discussion: Paul Maurice: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Maurice is not going to get fired for a while especially after this season and post season run.

I would still like to see a coach like Joel Quenneville here and see what he can do with our line up.
Coach Q is even more old school than Maurice and is constantly getting ragged on by Hawks fans for his love of veteran glue guys as does Babs in Toronto.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Not sure why people dismiss the notion that PoMo won't get gassed any time soon. Pending they don't win the cup, what if they go on a ten game losing streak next season? Michel Therrien got the axe one season after going to the Finals with Pittsburgh.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Not sure why people dismiss the notion that PoMo won't get gassed any time soon. Pending they don't win the cup, what if they go on a ten game losing streak next season? Michel Therrien got the axe one season after going to the Finals with Pittsburgh.
Maurice was given credit from management for following the organization's game plan the last couple seasons and played the kids in all situations as they were flooded into the lineup. He was extended this season with the belief this young team was ready ready to turn the corner. We went from 87 to 114 points and are 3-3 going into game 7 of the second round. You add in he is as much a players coach as is possible, with the captain calling him the best coach he has ever played for and an organization that is loyal to their core. Yeah he is safe. Probably outlasts most posters.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Maurice was given credit from management for following the organization's game plan the last couple seasons and played the kids in all situations as they were flooded into the lineup. He was extended this season with the belief this young team was ready ready to turn the corner. We went from 87 to 114 points and are 3-3 going into game 7 of the second round. You add in he is as much a players coach as is possible, with the captain calling him the best coach he has ever played for and an organization that is loyal to their core. Yeah he is safe. Probably outlasts most posters.

Yeah hes not going anywhere anytime soon. I feel he has grown as a coach this past season. He is less likely to play below replacement level gritty role players. He adapted his game plan to the teams skill set (had my doubts he would be able to last season). All in all I feel he grew with this team which is a positive.

Having said that like the youngsters there are still plenty of areas for him to grow in.

1) He still runs a predominantly seniority based special team units. Stastny over Connor on PP1 (Even though it was largely more effective with Connor) and Myers over Morrissey despite PP2 being awful since December. He needs to be more open to playing the best player even if it ruffles some feathers.

2) Needs to improve his in game adjustments especially against equal caliber teams in the postseason. He hasn't been to the postseason all that much lately so I expect that he will improve with more experience.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Based on most of your posts , I'm going to guess you don't follow this team very closely.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017

Gifs better than words...

7f399b03443f75dcdcd929811f3975aa24ef1161_128.gif

Reactions: KingBogo

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
People are saying in absolutes that he'll be here long term.
What's long term to you? Last post I saw from you referenced a 10 game losing streak. I'll suggest it's longer term than that.

Long term to me is at least another two seasons, barring a complete implosion, which I highly doubt.

Reactions: Georgetown Al

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What's long term to you? Last post I saw from you referenced a 10 game losing streak. I'll suggest it's longer term than that.

Long term to me is at least another two seasons, barring a complete implosion, which I highly doubt.

Hey Ducky10 what do you feel are the biggest areas Maurice still needs to grow in?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah hes not going anywhere anytime soon. I feel he has grown as a coach this past season. He is less likely to play below replacement level gritty role players. He adapted his game plan to the teams skill set (had my doubts he would be able to last season). All in all I feel he grew with this team which is a positive.

Having said that like the youngsters there are still plenty of areas for him to grow in.

1) He still runs a predominantly seniority based special team units. Stastny over Connor on PP1 (Even though it was largely more effective with Connor) and Myers over Morrissey despite PP2 being awful since December. He needs to be more open to playing the best player even if it ruffles some feathers.

2) Needs to improve his in game adjustments especially against equal caliber teams in the postseason. He hasn't been to the postseason all that much lately so I expect that he will improve with more experience.
Agreed and these are fair criticisms, and we will see how things go tomorrow.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Coach Q is even more old school than Maurice and is constantly getting ragged on by Hawks fans for his love of veteran glue guys as does Babs in Toronto.
Q is just stupid/senile plain and simple. We have all come to the conclusion with some of the idiotic things he does...like never playing Kane and DeBrincat together, you know the guy who can thread the needle on passes to a guy who is as accurate of a sniper as we have...they haven't been paired more than like 30 plus minutes all year long..and most of that was accidental due to shift changes.

Q has no idea how to work with today's younger players, give him a veteran team and he will look good, but taking young teams to the top, he has NEVER done that. That 2010 Cup winning team was loaded with skill and vets...similar to this years Jets.

Reactions: KingBogo

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Having a 114 point team with our lineup isn't some incredible achievement. Did PoMo get an Adams nomination I missed? I was not a Maurice fan from the day he was hired. I don't think he's a very good coach. Could he be good enough? I hope so.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Q is just stupid/senile plain and simple. We have all come to the conclusion with some of the idiotic things he does...like never playing Kane and DeBrincat together, you know the guy who can thread the needle on passes to a guy who is as accurate of a sniper as we have...they haven't been paired more than like 30 plus minutes all year long..and most of that was accidental due to shift changes.

Q has no idea how to work with today's younger players, give him a veteran team and he will look good, but taking young teams to the top, he has NEVER done that. That 2010 Cup winning team was loaded with skill and vets...similar to this years Jets.
Agreed. It is easy to throw out a name of a well known coach to replace the one you like to kick around, but it makes no sense if you don't know enough about what you are likely to get. What I've appreciated about Maurice is he has formed a very strong relationship with all the kids and he has a very high tolerance of young player mistakes. I've said it a few times and I'll agree Maurice is mid level in terms of in game X's and O's, but there are few coaches out there who would have given the opportunity and room to make mistakes to the kids as he has.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Agreed. It is easy to throw out a name of a well known coach to replace the one you like to kick around, but it makes no sense if you don't know enough about what you are likely to get. What I've appreciated about Maurice is he has formed a very strong relationship with all the kids and he has a very high tolerance of young player mistakes. I've said it a few times and I'll agree Maurice is mid level in terms of in game X's and O's, but there are few coaches out there who would have given the opportunity and room to make mistakes to the kids as he has.
we all at times think the grass is greener with coaches, but I am honestly done with many of these retread coaches. I am happy to see Brind'Amour, Weight, Montgomery, Housley, Sullivan, Cooper, etc getting coaching jobs. The game is changing and if you can't adapt and evolve you need to go away.

from what I have seen from Maurice, he looks like a coach who can blend youth and vets nicely. I haven't seen enough of his work day to day on game plan, but like you said seems average to above average in that category as well. everyone is going to bitch here and there when it comes to coaching, because you know, it looks so easy and we can all do it better lol!! but, we also see issues like the ones I have said about Q, I just really haven't noticed much wrong with Maurice and I think Jets fan should embrace him at least right now.

if anyone on here is wanting to switch their coach and thinks Q will come in and do any better, please STOP now. Those days are behind him. I think the Hawks can do well next year, but Q has to change and get with the times and put the young kids in positions to succeed (not putting Hino on the 4th line, DeBrincat with plugs, etc). I have never seen a bigger divide between GM and coach all my years as a Hawks fan. Bowman has purposely moved out so many of Q's type of player, bigger, more two way, less skilled, and replaced them with speed and skill forcing Q to actually have to play these kids...that's not an overreaction as well, it is the truth as Bowman has left Q with no option now but to play the damn kids we have!

If you like seeing lines "blendered" up on a shift to shift basis, Q is your man...if not, stick with Paul, he seems to get it more times than not though took him a bit on Connor!!

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Hey Ducky10 what do you feel are the biggest areas Maurice still needs to grow in?
After this year I really don't have a lot of issues with Maurice. His biggest achievement in my mind has been getting his team to play a style of game that suits it's abilities. He's also been able to get full buy in from his leadership, which has clearly benefited getting that same buy in from the youngsters. He's like most NHL coaches, I'm in the camp that very little separates the top from the bottom when it comes to NHL coaches. Good team, good goalie>good coach.

Having said all that I still think he could do better when playing his best talent, although I wouldn't outright call him out for that given how many young players already play big minutes on the team. Still, as well as Tanev has played, I'm still not convinced he was ever a better option than Roslovic. Hendricks shouldn't be playing ahead of Dano amd I'm almost to the point where I think Chevy needs to stop getting players like that to protect Maurice from himself.

I also echo your thoughts on his special teams stubborness at times, although he has adapted a little in that area.

Making decisions like he did earlier in the series by inserting Hendricks doesn't do him many favours, but he's done a great job with this team and them being talented shouldn't take anything away from him in that regard. Maurice isn't perfect, but who is. I guess I really just haven't heard anyone be able to convince me what a so called good coach or great coach does so much better than Maurice does.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think Maurice is here for at least 3 more years, and maybe longer. He's done an amazing job with the youth this year, and posted the second best record in the NHL --so I don't think you could ask for more. Really--how much more could U ask for ?

As Laine, Connor and Ehlers mature, they will only get better and this Jet's team will be a force to be reckoned with. I also think Chevy and Maurice make a good team.

For the Maurice naysayers - get used to having Maurice behind the bench.:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: libertarian

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If I remember correctly, this is/was the last year of his contract and he signed an extension. My guess would be 2 years but I could easily see 3. They may fire him if they really hit the dumpster but I don't see that happening. Too strong of a leadership on the team not to mention the coaching staff. TB missed the playoffs and didn't fire Cooper and look at the talent on that team. They are as good a bet to win the cup this year as any and rightly so.
I agree that you would move on from a coach if there were a real problem but I don't see that and Chevy and Chipman like continuity. You don't build winners firing people and trading people just because you have a bad stint or a bad season.

Having said that, Pitt's situation doesn't count because it was Bylsma...

Reactions: GNP and Jets4Life

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
we all at times think the grass is greener with coaches, but I am honestly done with many of these retread coaches. I am happy to see Brind'Amour, Weight, Montgomery, Housley, Sullivan, Cooper, etc getting coaching jobs. The game is changing and if you can't adapt and evolve you need to go away.

from what I have seen from Maurice, he looks like a coach who can blend youth and vets nicely. I haven't seen enough of his work day to day on game plan, but like you said seems average to above average in that category as well. everyone is going to ***** here and there when it comes to coaching, because you know, it looks so easy and we can all do it better lol!! but, we also see issues like the ones I have said about Q, I just really haven't noticed much wrong with Maurice and I think Jets fan should embrace him at least right now.

if anyone on here is wanting to switch their coach and thinks Q will come in and do any better, please STOP now. Those days are behind him. I think the Hawks can do well next year, but Q has to change and get with the times and put the young kids in positions to succeed (not putting Hino on the 4th line, DeBrincat with plugs, etc). I have never seen a bigger divide between GM and coach all my years as a Hawks fan. Bowman has purposely moved out so many of Q's type of player, bigger, more two way, less skilled, and replaced them with speed and skill forcing Q to actually have to play these kids...that's not an overreaction as well, it is the truth as Bowman has left Q with no option now but to play the damn kids we have!

If you like seeing lines "blendered" up on a shift to shift basis, Q is your man...if not, stick with Paul, he seems to get it more times than not though took him a bit on Connor!!

He just had the most successful season in Winnipeg Jet history. This was a team people were expecting not to make the playoffs.

Everything I have learned about these boards and its fans is that the Jets did so great IN SPITE of Paul Maurice or Chevy. They don't deserve credit when we win but they deserve all the blame when we lose.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There is probably nothing he could (reasonably) do to get fired in under 2 years. Missing the playoffs next year wouldn't do it.

The only way I see it happening is if things go off the rails early and he loses the team. I would peg the chances of him losing this leadership group as fairly small.

Reactions: GNP

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
Who else out there is better for the Jets?

Honestly, we have a great group, top notch ownership group. But which coach would be better right now than PoMo?

I can’t think of any coach out there that is available I would want...he’s got a long leash after this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad