Coach Discussion: Paul Maurice Pt II, The gooder, the badder, the uglier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
So, should we remind ourselves that the Jets had a very young line-up with very little playoff experience that got to 114 points, beat the #1 regular season team and Stanley Cup favourite in a 7-game series, and got to the Conference Finals.

Like many fans, I question a lot of Maurice's decisions, but I remain puzzled that so many were highly critical of Maurice for his career record (based on coaching a lot of terrible teams with lousy goaltending), but then don't want to give him any credit for pretty good results. Factored into an assessment should be how the Jets' young players have developed, especially when you consider how many young players on other teams have struggled. I really can't think of any top prospect that hasn't developed well under Maurice... Trouba, Morrissey, Hellebuyck, Scheifele, Ehlers, Connor, Laine, Lowry, Copp, etc. Also, does he receive any credit for Byfuglien's transition from a somewhat mercurial D with inconsistent fitness into a really steady star defenseman who is now consistently fit? When Maurice arrived, many fans (and even coaches) weren't sure Buff was even a defenseman.

Thanks Whileee, well written points as always.

I think we all have our favourites and "less favourites" on this team but boy some people certainly have "hate-ons" for some. Maybe the Coach's dog craps in their yard and PoMo never picks it up? Not sure what else would make people so salty about him. With all the great points you make it, should be pretty obvious to anyone (even the haters) who looks at the complete picture that he has done many a good thing for this team. (not saying he is perfect!)

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Not sure why a discussion board about the coach is a hate-on or salty if you discuss a point that some agree with and some don't. I think that's just what the discussion board / forum is for.

Maurice blamed the loss to Vegas on himself IIRC in an off season interview. But if someone on this board suggests that he could have done things differently to improve our chances of success against Vegas, it is somehow being a hater. I don't get it.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Not sure why a discussion board about the coach is a hate-on or salty if you discuss a point that some agree with and some don't. I think that's just what the discussion board / forum is for.

Maurice blamed the loss to Vegas on himself IIRC in an off season interview. But if someone on this board suggests that he could have done things differently to improve our chances of success against Vegas, it is somehow being a hater. I don't get it.

It doesn't but game after game win or lose if that's all you have to offer, it gets to look like it.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Thats on you if that is how you react.

I mean if we’re going to go there perhaps some should change their tactic since it obviously doesn’t come across well. Changing a couple words here or there can have a major effect some how something comes across. Beating a dead horse eventually falls on deaf ears.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

You have had a single motive on this forum for years, which is to try and convince everyone here Maurice is not a good coach. You never ever acknowledge the many many things he does very well, only try to paint a picture of incompetence, and when you fail and get called out accordingly, you make silly statements like the one above. This is what haters do....

Last season was hard on you, as we were one of the best teams, top to bottom, including our coaches which didn't provide you any ammo. You had to wait till we got goalied in the conference finals, to have anything negative to say about Maurice. And while every media and hockey insider knew exactly why we lost, you to this day are trying to convince others it was Maurice's fault.

If what you state is constructive, relevant and accurate, no one would have an issue. When you repeatedly try to force a false or fake narrative on this board, that only you agree with, well expect to be called out on it. Just make better observations based off of real events, and I doubt anyone calls you a hater, and when you continually spew hate for one entity, dont be so sensitive towards being called out on it.

Last edited:

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I mean if we’re going to go there perhaps some should change their tactic since it obviously doesn’t come across well. Changing a couple words here or there can have a major effect some how something comes across. Beating a dead horse eventually falls on deaf ears.

What an excellent point.

Communication skills are really important. We are not robots passing along information, we are extremely skeptical of new information because the chance of a ruse is so high. It's just a built-in function.

What I've come to learn is

1) No-one can beat their biases. Not one of us. It's completely futile to think otherwise. I take pride in the fact that I can (mostly) admit when I'm wrong (hopefully, what do I know)

2) We need to remind each other that what we want is the same thing. Everyone has their own personality, which equates to a role in the necessary discussion. We need EVERYONE. It may not seem that way for the really smart ones, but that's because they are stupid.

3) I love you guys. I really do. Male communication is always combative, but sports is a place where we agree to do combat and I think it's a great outlet for it.

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I wonder why Maurice - or any coaches really - don't ever throw out a 4F-1D configuration when they're trailing in the 3rd...seems like the Jets rolling PP1/PP2 and cooking up a higher-scoring version of the 3rd line with Lowry-Roslovic and maybe rotate scoring forwards through that other wing would be worth a shot.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine - Byfuglien

Ehlers-Little-Perreault
Morrissey-Trouba

Connor/Scheifele/Ehlers/Perreault - Lowry - Roslovic
Kulikov-Myers

Just pin your ears back and go.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I wonder why Maurice - or any coaches really - don't ever throw out a 4F-1D configuration when they're trailing in the 3rd...seems like the Jets rolling PP1/PP2 and cooking up a higher-scoring version of the 3rd line with Lowry-Roslovic and maybe rotate scoring forwards through that other wing would be worth a shot.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine - Byfuglien

Ehlers-Little-Perreault
Morrissey-Trouba

Kulikov-Myers

I like this! Surprised this isn't a thing... One reason might be over-taxing forwards in ice-time, especially your top 6. But the Jets have some talent on their 4th line that could be used in that 4th F role.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine - Byfuglien

Ehlers-Little-Perreault
Morrissey-Trouba

Kulikov-Myers

Good idea! If we are in a situation like that, it could work well.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Speaking of over-taxing certain forwards (e.g., Wheeler and Scheifele playing in all situations). I mention this because there has been plenty of discussion regarding Maurice's use of his players. I was on my way home earlier today and was listening to a 1290 interview with the TSN guy who does Oilers' games. (Sorry but I didn't catch his name.) One of the items he brought up was that Hitchcock was slightly reducing the TOI for McDavid by not playing him in all situations (i.e., penalty kills). Apparently, he feels that it will lead to "gassed" players in the third period let alone at season's end. I realize that Wheeler scored a fantastic short-handed goal last night but in many games this year he and others have looked "gassed" in the third period.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Speaking of over-taxing certain forwards (e.g., Wheeler and Scheifele playing in all situations). I mention this because there has been plenty of discussion regarding Maurice's use of his players. I was on my way home earlier today and was listening to a 1290 interview with the TSN guy who does Oilers' games. (Sorry but I didn't catch his name.) One of the items he brought up was that Hitchcock was slightly reducing the TOI for McDavid by not playing him in all situations (i.e., penalty kills). Apparently, he feels that it will lead to "gassed" players in the third period let alone at season's end. I realize that Wheeler scored a fantastic short-handed goal last night but in many games this year he and others have looked "gassed" in the third period.
I find is incredibly odd that when the team is own he NEVER plays Laine more, never throws him up on the top line.. You know the guy that scores tons of goals. It's f***ing bizarre.

I'm still waiting for the details on why PoMo is a good coach. Like actual evidence. What is he doing that makes him good? Riding your top 2 players into the ground with this lineup is insane and massively inefficient. A good coach shouldn't need to do that.

I really believe PoMo is in the NHL & with the Jets because he is just good enough to be an NHL coach while not pissing off the top talent. What do Carolina and Winnipeg have in common?

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I find is incredibly odd that when the team is own he NEVER plays Laine more, never throws him up on the top line.. You know the guy that scores tons of goals. It's ****ing bizarre.

I'm still waiting for the details on why PoMo is a good coach. Like actual evidence. What is he doing that makes him good? Riding your top 2 players into the ground with this lineup is insane and massively inefficient. A good coach shouldn't need to do that.

I really believe PoMo is in the NHL & with the Jets because he is just good enough to be an NHL coach while not pissing off the top talent. What do Carolina and Winnipeg have in common?

While I don't agree with a some of what you said here, I DO agree with your question about why when we need a goal we don't throw Laine out with the best linemates we have. Connor/Scheifele/Laine is most likely to score a goal when needed.

He is the best goal scorer in the league (almost) and by far the best goal scorer on the team. Maybe there is something I'm missing here?

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
While Laine is an elite goal scorer, he is still extremely streaky at times and still plays like a 20 year old at times. We have to remember that. He still makes plenty of mistakes and has his share of struggles at time. Mo puts a lot of trust into a 20 year old. I’m not sure it’s wise to blindly trust him 100% as some of you suggest.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I find is incredibly odd that when the team is own he NEVER plays Laine more, never throws him up on the top line.. You know the guy that scores tons of goals. It's ****ing bizarre.

Maurice just led this team to a 114 point season and Western Conference Finals birth. He has overseen the development of a great young core (Scheif, Trouba, Lowry, Morrissey, Ehlers, Connor, Laine, Hellebuyck), he is not perfect, but there is plenty of evidence he is a good coach.

Reactions: Jmiller1

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine - Byfuglien

Ehlers-Little-Perreault
Morrissey-Trouba

Kulikov-Myers

I like this but I'd offer that it can also be about switching out D partners and playing them more together. I'd like to see a steady diet of Buff, Morrissey, Trouba, Niku in various configurations with the Jets down. Our D can be some of our best offensive players in the lineup, especially when you take the reigns off them for any defensive responsibility. They read the play from behind better imo, have a better sense of jumping up and getting into the gaps.

Reactions: Gm0ney

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
While Laine is an elite goal scorer, he is still extremely streaky at times and still plays like a 20 year old at times. We have to remember that. He still makes plenty of mistakes and has his share of struggles at time. Mo puts a lot of trust into a 20 year old. I’m not sure it’s wise to blindly trust him 100% as some of you suggest.

I agree, that there still some shortcomings with Laine's game, I was only speaking of when we are late in the third period and we are down a goal. It's a bit of a hail mary, just short of pulling the goalie with 5 mins left. Just put all your eggs in one basket so to speak.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I don't disagree, but that shot when you're down a goal is a big trump card.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Maurice just led this team to a 114 point season and Western Conference Finals birth. He has overseen the development of a great young core (Scheif, Trouba, Lowry, Morrissey, Ehlers, Connor, Laine, Hellebuyck), he is not perfect, but there is plenty of evidence he is a good coach.
114/162 = 69.5%...D+ :sarcasm:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
They did test out 18 and 81 hopefully we see more of that.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Wow. I said three things:

1. The great thing about the Jets is that we have a strong enough lineup to mask a mediocre coach during the regular season, especially early in the year.
- However you rank Maurice as a coach (I rank him as mediocre (middle third group) with lots of experience), do we not have a strong enough lineup to have a strong regular season with an average coach?

2. Late in the season, the effects of utilization decisions by coaches (good and bad) throughout the year will be evident on teams.
- General statement, not accurate?

3. And in a Playoff series where you are up against the same lineup game after game - the effect of coaching on the overall outcome of the series becomes more evident in that you can see which coaches are making decisions that give their team a higher probability of success.
- General statement, not accurate?

Benign statements causing the internets of HF Boards Winnipeg to blow up. Go figure.

Reactions: Psych0dad

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It still annoys me that despite having talent at his disposal to dress an actual competent fourth line he feels the need to handcuff it to dress a gritty player that is a net liability on the ice. It's pretty much been that way since he got here with guys like Thor etc getting a regular shift. As much as he's adapted he still has a ways to go imo.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
This isn't an answer. This was the kind of response that my post was directed at. We have one of the most talented teams in the league. PoMo didn't have much to do with choosing those players. Most of those guys were drafted high in the first round.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
This isn't an answer. This was the kind of response that my post was directed at. We have one of the most talented teams in the league. PoMo didn't have much to do with choosing those players. Most of those guys were drafted high in the first round.
This is absolutely an answer.

One of the main critiques of coaches is there ability to develop young talent, Maurice passes that test with flying colours. The other critique of coaches is their ability to win, Maurice proved that he can take this team to within 7 wins of a Stanley Cup. If that's not an answer then you're asking the wrong questions.

His tactics aren't perfect, he doesn't make every decision that I would want him to, but guess what, no coach does. Quenneville just got fired, Babcock has his critics in the Toronto fan base. Obviously Maurice needs to take us to the next step: win the cup, or he will be let go, but he has done a good job so far.

The results say Maurice has been a good coach for the Jets.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad