Coach Discussion: Paul Maurice Pt II, The gooder, the badder, the uglier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
If you really wanted to spread out the offense we could try something like this:

Petan Scheifele Wheeler (Played really well as a line in the game they played)
Perrault Little Ehlers (Played really well together)
Connor Lowry Laine
Tanev Copp Roslovic

Makes too much sense for it to happen.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
If you really wanted to spread out the offense we could try something like this:

Connor Lowry Laine
Tanev Copp Roslovic

And behind them you have

Morrissey / Trouba
:baghead: / Buff
:baghead: / :baghead:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
And behind them you have

Morrissey / Trouba
:baghead: / Buff
:baghead: / :baghead:

Lol true enough although Myers is good in his spot. We need two competent LD though. I think Niku will be up sooner than later if our transition stays poor from the bottom two pairings.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Connor Lowry Laine
Tanev Copp Roslovic
I'm starting to appreciate your like/love of Petan as a player. Personally I just don't see it. IMO you can almost replace Petan for Appleton (who I think will have a more established career) and say he should play above Laine, Connor and Ehlers. All teams play their #1 center in the 20+ minutes range and there is much better players to share that usage then Petan.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Coach Paul was speaking to my business group (Entrepreneurs Organization) today at IGF and I had to live stream it but he did a really good job as you guys might imagine. He Spoke and took questions for about an hour.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Coach Paul was speaking to my business group (Entrepreneurs Organization) today at IGF and I had to live stream it but he did a really good job as you guys might imagine. He Spoke and took questions for about an hour.
Any tidbits you remember?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm starting to appreciate your like/love of Petan as a player. Personally I just don't see it. IMO you can almost replace Petan for Appleton (who I think will have a more established career) and say he should play above Laine, Connor and Ehlers. All teams play their #1 center in the 20+ minutes range and there is much better players to share that usage then Petan.

Thanks but it isn't so much a like for Petan but a means of having two high end offensive players on each of the top 3 lines and finding a complimentary piece to round things out. I am under no illusion that Petan can drive a top 6 line on his own but he has enough of a track record to show that he can play really well with good players. It isn't about Petan playing over people but about optimizing the scoring on each line in our top 9. Appelton also doesn't play the same position as Petan so they really aren't interchangeable. Appelton is competing with Tanev and Roslovic imo.

We are having difficulty scoring at ES so one way to try to kick start it is to try to have three strong lines that can put the puck in the net.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Thanks but it isn't so much a like for Petan but a means of having two high end offensive players on each of the top 3 lines and finding a complimentary piece to round things out. I am under no illusion that Petan can drive a top 6 line on his own but he has enough of a track record to show that he can play really well with good players. It isn't about Petan playing over people but about optimizing the scoring on each line in our top 9. Appelton also doesn't play the same position as Petan so they really aren't interchangeable. Appelton is competing with Tanev and Roslovic imo.

We are having difficulty scoring at ES so one way to try to kick start it is to try to have three strong lines that can put the puck in the net.
I don't see any way the Jets don't have talent throughout their lineup. They at the point in their developmental curve. I'm curious why you don't believe Appleton and Petan are competing for the same positions. One shoot left and one shoots right but at an NHL level both will play wing which is for the most part interchangeable depending on your roster. If Appleton is competing with Tanev and Roslovic why wouldn't he also be competing against Petan as both are far more established members of the team?

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't see any way the Jets don't have talent throughout their lineup. They at the point in their developmental curve. I'm curious why who don't believe Appleton and Petan are competing for the same positions. One shoot left and one shoots right but at an NHL level both will play wing which is for the most part interchangeable depending on your roster. If Appleton is competing with Tanev and Roslovic why wouldn't he also be competing against Petan as both are far more established members of the team?

Well Maurice seems to have a thing against putting players especially young players on their offside for one. Appelton has never played LW on the Moose either so it stands to reason he is being groomed as a RW. Tanev will likely price himself out of the team soon ala Armia and I see Appelton as the logical in house replacement.

Petan if he can establish himself is the logical Perrault replacement next year when Perrault likely has to be moved for cap considerations.

As far as talent throughout the lineup Maurice doesn't run them in that way. He still is very much of the mindset to run two top 6 lines and a checking line with a low minute 4th line. Last year the checking line scored at a high rate, but it seems that the main players on that line are back to their career norms. Playing Laine with both of Lowry and Tanev is a waste of his talent imo.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Any tidbits you remember?

I was juggling a conference call while listening and watching the stream so some details are foggy.

I found the personality managment discussion most interesting. Somebody asked him a question about does everyone get along or how do they handle the conflicts and he shared a really interesting story. He gave the example of Martin Gelinas and how he has all the respect in the world for him as a man but they never got along and couldn’t stand each other for the entire time they were together. He said eventually he went to one of his assistants and said I am never coaching this guy again he is your responsibility and that was the last time he ever gave Marty any direction. He said after that all he would do is say good morning how’s your day and they were fine. He said Marty loved his then 3 year old daughter and he would always pick her up and play with her and I guess Paul’s Wife took a photo of them and still has it framed in their room just to troll Paul.

He also talked about a few things that weigh heavy on him.......one of his players was killed after drinking and driving....another one of his players committed suicide........and another player he reported to the NHL so they would put him in a substance abuse program and that guy still won’t talk to him today but Paul is ok with that because he feels he might have saved his life. Said he has allot of guilt about the first two guys and thinks about them every Christmas still.

Was asked about whether he has ever told Chevy to lose someone and he said never.....he is a firm believer that his job is to take what he has got and coach them up FULL STOP. He was really passionate about the subject and said in the cap world it’s not easy His job is not to make that tougher, He said half the time anyways when he is struggling with a player Chevy notices it and brings it up.

He liked to poke fun at himself.......he said right now and on TV you see a restrained version of me but when I get really worked up on the bench my speech speeds up and every second word starts with and F and nobody can understand me and that is usually the time Blake will look back and say “it might be time to ease up on the caffine Coach”

Last edited:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

So what did he say when you told him to balance the lines out a bit and play Broschwaaahhh once in a while especially when there is a B2B?

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So what did he say when you told him to balance the lines out a bit and play Broschwaaahhh once in a while especially when there is a B2B?

I wasn't there in person to ask questions but would have had a few for him for sure. I doubt I would have given him advice though I probably would seek to understand. One of my friends asked him why for example when the 4th line is running really hot in a game and the 1st line is stone cold does the 1st line get rolled out late to protect the lead.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Comparison time. First 17 games of last season (Perreault came back in the 18th game, completely changing the team) vs first 14 games this season:

17-18 G1-1718-19 G1-14
5v5 CF%45.82 (30th)50.00 (16th)
5v5 sh%10.26 (3rd)5.81 (30th)
5v5 sv%0.926 (11th)0.922 (14th)
5v5 PDO102.9% (3rd)98.0% (25th)
PP GF/608.31 (4th)12.21 (2nd)
PK GA/607.49 (18th lowest)7.38 (19th lowest)
Record10-4-38-5-1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Wheeler 5v5:
17-18 G1-17 --- 2.84 P/60, 42.4 CF%, 13.5 oIsh%
18-19 G1-14 --- 0.87 P/60, 47.9 CF%, 5.9 oIsh%

Gotta say I'm more confident in this team than last year's in the early stages.

Last year's team got good when Perreault came back and PauMau started playing four lines, with 11 forwards playing over 10 minutes. Let's see when we will hit that point this year, and who will be our Perreault...

Yup it all really turned on its head when Matty P and his 4th line buddies started dominating. As I recall the 3rd line really came into their own at that time to (kind of became who they are now) and that push from the bottom six took allot of pressure off the top six and propelled us and we never looked back.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Penalties are killing the Jets.

It is time to put the blame where it belongs, on Paul Maurice.

Year after year his team is right at or near being the most penalized team in the league. He could cut way back on penalties. He refuses to try - it might inhibit the players. I call B***S**t!

It is time to put his job on the line over this. IMO

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Conf finals last year. One of the best teams in the NHL. Are penalties killing this team, or is aggressive play the reason why it is successful?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Yikes.
First, a little over the top, but each to his own.
Second, there is already a coach discussion thread, I'm merging this.

Reactions: Duke749

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Penalties are killing the Jets.

It is time to put the blame where it belongs, on Paul Maurice.

Year after year his team is right at or near being the most penalized team in the league. He could cut way back on penalties. He refuses to try - it might inhibit the players. I call B***S**t!

It is time to put his job on the line over this. IMO
Can we also blame the players?

Let's take some names...

Buff stands apart (in a bad way) in terms of penalties taken and penalty differential. I think some is a lack of discipline, and some is the fact that he's huge and gets penalties on plays that wouldn't draw a penalty for others. It's notable that some of the Jets' vets are the worst culprits, including Perreault and Wheeler. At least Perreault also draws more penalties...

upload_2018-11-24_13-7-8.png

upload_2018-11-24_13-7-49.png

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Can we also blame the players?

Let's take some names...

Buff stands apart (in a bad way) in terms of penalties taken and penalty differential. I think some is a lack of discipline, and some is the fact that he's huge and gets penalties on plays that wouldn't draw a penalty for others. It's notable that some of the Jets' vets are the worst culprits, including Perreault and Wheeler. At least Perreault also draws more penalties...

View attachment 157891

View attachment 157893
I'm not sure it's possible for Buff to draw a penalty, he gets zero benefit of the doubt. Wheeler is the worst culprit imo, he takes an inordinate amount of stick penalties in the offensive zone, stops moving his feet and looks lazy. At least Buff takes most of his in the defensive end, which at times can be more forgiven. Not saying he couldn't use to clean up his act a bit.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I'm not sure it's possible for Buff to draw a penalty, he gets zero benefit of the doubt. Wheeler is the worst culprit imo, he takes an inordinate amount of stick penalties in the offensive zone, stops moving his feet and looks lazy. At least Buff takes most of his in the defensive end, which at times can be more forgiven. Not saying he couldn't use to clean up his act a bit.

Wheeler has a bad habit of not moving his feet at times and it always gets him in trouble. We really need to manage his minutes better.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This board makes me chuckle.

The team was playing the best it had this year, we tied a record for most wins in November ever.
Maurice made some line changes to give us 4 pretty great, diverse lines.
We were tracking for a better season than last year where we were 3 points from Prez trophy and in the WCF

We lost 2 games due mainly to uncharacteristically bad goaltending and now everyone is on the coach again :laugh:

It would do people well to study the term 'root cause analysis' :)

Reactions: Ducky10

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Conf finals last year. One of the best teams in the NHL. Are penalties killing this team, or is aggressive play the reason why it is successful?

Conference finals last year because Rinne shit the bed. A losing record this year against playoff bound teams. Too many penalties of the lazy and or stupid variety. You can and should be aggressive while still playing within clearly defined boundaries. Lowry got a little rowdy against the Wild, but for the most part he exemplifies how this can be done. Either we have several really brain dead players who just can't learn, or a coach who won't force them to change. Guess which one can be easily changed. There's a Stanley Cup winning coach sitting at home twiddling his thumbs, and there's an owner in Toronto with enough wealth to offer said coach whatever he wants. But between Chipman and Chevy, there's just too much inertia. Let's not overreact, slow and steady, this chair is just too comfy to get out of. In the spirit of the season, all I can say is...

screen-shot-2018-01-12-at-18-05-21.png

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
The more coaching opinions fascinate me tbh, I'm not sure what some people think coaches do with athletes at this level. Coaching players at the highest levels of sport, who are completely autonomous in their skill development means very little "teaching" going on when it comes to most things.

It's funny that people harp on Maurice for being a terrible coach, yet almost all of his players will say exactly the opposite. Even the ones he claims to "not have to coach". I think way too much has been made of a little soundbite, it's pretty clear the ones hanging onto that have no concept of what he's talking about. Great coach's s are not the type of teachers most people think they are.

Reactions: Jet

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
This board makes me chuckle.

The team was playing the best it had this year, we tied a record for most wins in November ever.
Maurice made some line changes to give us 4 pretty great, diverse lines.
We were tracking for a better season than last year where we were 3 points from Prez trophy and in the WCF

We lost 2 games due mainly to uncharacteristically bad goaltending and now everyone is on the coach again :laugh:

It would do people well to study the term 'root cause analysis' :)

Too much work, scapegoats are far easier, especially when it's the coach.

Reactions: Jet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad