Paul MacLean Thread, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Sell at the dead line(trade Michalek and don't trade for Hemsky), don't sign Michalek, tell Phillips its a 1 year deal or he's retiring, and sign Da Costa.

Not a single significant trade but I think we'd better off with this happening instead.

What do we get in return for Michalek? More bad players?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Wouldn't surprise me if this was true.

Like if NJ made Larsson available but started to doubt themselves because Murray was the first to inquire.

Same thing happened with Toronto years ago in that big swap with Calgary to get Gilmour. After that trade, no one wanted to deal with Burke (or whoever the GM was at the time) and be made to look like a fool. A one-sided trade like that could easily kill a GM's career.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
He was a UFA having a bad year at the time

I very much doubt anyone would have given anything substantial for him

Never mind that your scenario means the team doesn't reach the cap floor

then overpay someone on a 1 year contract instead of wasting 3 years on Michalek.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Sell at the dead line(trade Michalek and don't trade for Hemsky), don't sign Michalek, tell Phillips its a 1 year deal or he's retiring, and sign Da Costa.

Not a single significant trade but I think we'd better off with this happening instead.

You could be right, but I don't think Michalek for Da Costa would make the team that much better.

The current reality is the top six hasn't produced consistently enough, the young D is still learning and the veterans in the bottom six have been average IMO.

This suggests adding a forward or two to improve on one or more of Turris, MacArthur, Ryan, Zibanejad, Hoffman, Chaisson, and/or Stone.

To make this happen it means moving/waiving one or two of the bottom six, Neil, Michalek, Legwand, Condra or Smith. IMO these players aren't going to bring a top six forward in return.

So unless Murray is willing to move youth there is no easy solution other than draft well and be patient.

On defense, same thing applies IMO.

Phillips is a problem only because MacLean plays him too much and at the same time sits Cowen/Wiercoich. The D is young, needs time to mature and IMO should be playing now since this team isn't ready to compete.

So again, unless Murray is willing to move youth the only answer is to be patient.

I believe Murray signed Michalek and Legwand because they were available at the price point he could afford and because the organization didn't want to risk going all in with youth.

Would Pageau be a better option than Legwand, certainly looks like that could be the case now, but this decision was made in the summer. Same could be said about Puempel over Michalek.

The Phillips decision was probably made with the thinking his experience and mentorship was invaluable, but his ice time would probably be reduced.

Watching this team play can be frustrating knowing a player or two could make then a very solid playoff group, but getting what they need isn't as simple as some would like to suggest.

BTW doing nothing is a decision and in many cases the right decision.

Last edited:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
You could be right, but I don't think Michalek for Da Costa would make the team that much better.

The current reality is the top six hasn't produced consistently enough, the young D is still learning and the veterans in the bottom six have been average IMO.

This suggests adding a forward or two to improve on one or more of Turris, MacArthur, Ryan, Zibanejad, Hoffman, Chaisson, and/or Stone.

To make this happen it means moving/waiving one or two of the bottom six, Neil, Michalek, Legwand, Condra or Smith. IMO these players aren't going to bring a top six forward in return.

So unless Murray is willing to move youth there is no easy solution other than draft well and be patient.

On defense, same thing applies IMO.

Phillips is a problem only because MacLean plays him too much and at the same time sits Cowen/Wiercoich. The D is young, needs time to mature and IMO should be playing now since this team isn't ready to compete.

So again, unless Murray is willing to move youth the only answer is to be patient.

I believe Murray signed Michalek and Legwand because they were available at the price point he could afford and because the organization didn't want to risk going all in with youth.

Would Pageau be a better option than Legwand, certainly looks like that could be the case now, but this decision was made in the summer. Same could be said about Puempel over Michalek.

The Phillips decision was probably made with the thinking his experience and mentorship was invaluable, but his ice time would probably be reduced.

Watching this team play can be frustrating knowing a player or two could make then a very solid playoff group, but getting what they need isn't as simple as some would like to suggest.

BTW doing nothing is a decision and in many cases the right decision.
Maybe Murray is one the people trying to steal Eberle with low ball offers? Didn't it end up being Murray was in discussion with Anaheim about Ryan for over a year before the trade finally happened?

Maybe he's waiting to cash in on this years Silfverberg or Rundblad? Not sure who that would be though.

I certainly dont want a trade just to make a trade. Those are always regretful.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
If it was honestly from Bobby Ryan I would think he would complain about being used as a utility piece instead of on the first line where he can be far more productive. I think Ryan has a lot to beef about, but his ice time is not at the top of the list.

Ryan: Coach, I really need more ice time.
Mac: Sure thing, would you like to take those extra shifts with Legwand or Neil?
Ryan: Never mind.

I know you are joking but there is a very good chance this actually happened. Lol.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Maybe Murray is one the people trying to steal Eberle with low ball offers? Didn't it end up being Murray was in discussion with Anaheim about Ryan for over a year before the trade finally happened?

Maybe he's waiting to cash in on this years Silfverberg or Rundblad? Not sure who that would be though.

I certainly dont want a trade just to make a trade. Those are always regretful.

No ones getting Eberle for cheap. Trading eberle is almost guaranteed regret unless it's a monster deal that reshapes two teams.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Thoughts on why we're never linked to defensemen in trade rumors?

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Thoughts on why we're never linked to defensemen in trade rumors?

because "play the kids".

It's really bizarre that we never looked for help in our weakest position for the last 2 years. Now we are weak up front as well as on the blueline.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
The reason is that our D is young and we have to be patient. Already showing lots of progress.

Cowen, Ceci, Methot, Karlsson haven't all dressed for the same game this season, but it looks like it can be a good top-four.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
According to Garrioch, we're after Perron and Eberle is probably not going anywhere.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/12/06/dallas-stars-looking-to-upgrade-in-net

Coaches in SJ, EDM and OTT "on notice".

Oilers are a mess. I've always liked Perron, he's a great support piece. Oilers want a center though, and I doubt they'd accept any combination Smith + our spare parts (Michalek, Greening, Condra, Legwand).

But if we could nab him for stuff that's worth less than him, this looks pretty good:

Mac - Turris - Ryan
Perron - Zibanejad - Chiasson
Hoffman - Lazar - Stone
Greening/Michalek - Pageau/Legwand - Condra/Neil

The top 3 RW are almost interchangeable. 4th line mins for Michalek/legwand and Neil Condra works for me.

I don't think it's enough to get us back into the playoff picture but it does look like a potential playoff team had we started the year lined up like that (assuming Methot was also healthy).

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
because "play the kids".

It's really bizarre that we never looked for help in our weakest position for the last 2 years. Now we are weak up front as well as on the blueline.

Until just recently, we've always had help on the way with Methot. Hard to justify moving for something before you actually know where what you have is actually at. Also, we have 8 guys right now; We probably don't want to pick up another D without one moving out, and teams that want to move a D don't want one back. Lastly, not many D available out there (Leddy and Boychuk already got moved)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Those comments were typical Maclean jokes. I doubt they were serious.

Yes, I think they are too. They express a little frustration as well with how the team is playinng and, given the circumstances (i.e., the mounting losses and falling out of playoff position), is understamdable and probably preferable to calling out individual players for any specific faux pas!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Which means we won't get him. Murray never gets into bidding wars with other GMs. He usually works the one-on-one relationships he has.

So look for a deal with either Anaheim or Phoenix.

I doubt very many trades if any are made without trying to trade the players to other teams during the process, so I don't think there are any one-on-one trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad