Paul MacLean Thread, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
Only way Maclean gets fired is if Murray/Melnyk are as perplexed and frustrated at his decision making as many of the fans and media analysts.

I'm simply at a loss to explain his bizarre line juggling and unwillingness to use his most skilled players in critical game situations.

His latest comments about being "scared to death" are an ominous sign that he is beginning to lose confidence in himself and the team.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
If it was honestly from Bobby Ryan I would think he would complain about being used as a utility piece instead of on the first line where he can be far more productive. I think Ryan has a lot to beef about, but his ice time is not at the top of the list.

Ryan: Coach, I really need more ice time.
Mac: Sure thing, would you like to take those extra shifts with Legwand or Neil?
Ryan: Never mind.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I partially blame Maclean here for some of the things he does, but in other instances I give him a pass.

I mean playing Bobby on the 2nd line/2nd pp is sillyness. Constantly using Phillips with big minutes is inexcusable.

However, we have no 2nd line centre to speak of at all and our defence is pretty bad. I think we are far too young on the back end, and we need another Methot type to stabilize us.

Those two major problems fall on Murray's head.

Karlsson2Turris*

Only way Maclean gets fired is if Murray/Melnyk are as perplexed and frustrated at his decision making as many of the fans and media analysts.

I'm simply at a loss to explain his bizarre line juggling and unwillingness to use his most skilled players in critical game situations.

His latest comments about being "scared to death" are an ominous sign that he is beginning to lose confidence in himself and the team.

Those comments were typical Maclean jokes. I doubt they were serious.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
If it was honestly from Bobby Ryan I would think he would complain about being used as a utility piece instead of on the first line where he can be far more productive. I think Ryan has a lot to beef about, but his ice time is not at the top of the list.

Mac: Sure thing, would you like to take those extra shifts with Legwand or Neil?

I can see how he wouldn't be happy about his toi. He gets 2-3 minutes less than the first liners and not enough PP time. Easy fixes there imo.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
At the end Kypreos said something about Bobby being discontent about his ice time. Has this been confirmed by a legitimate source?

I dont think Kypreos has any sources with the Sens or any idea what is going on with them but Bruce Garrioch's musings are his usual source I think.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005

I'm scared to death is just one of his catch phrases, he has used it many times. Probably cant believe all this furor.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I partially blame Maclean here for some of the things he does, but in other instances I give him a pass.

I mean playing Bobby on the 2nd line/2nd pp is sillyness. Constantly using Phillips with big minutes is inexcusable.

However, we have no 2nd line centre to speak of at all and our defence is pretty bad. I think we are far too young on the back end, and we need another Methot type to stabilize us.

Those two major problems fall on Murray's head.

I think Ryan/Zibby/Hoffman is a promising line.

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
I'm scared to death is just one of his catch phrases, he has used it many times. Probably cant believe all this furor.

The "catch phrase" has greater significance when you interpret it in the context of the situation.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa

IIRC BR was getting good TIO before his injury last year, not so much this year. Now he has a broken finger.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
1) Coach isn't the problem in Ottawa, it's the players. In the oldest and richest tradition in hockey: a coach will probably be fired because the team on the ice couldn't produce results. Happened numerous times before, and will happen numerous times again.

2) That being said, I'm not sure the current coach is able to fix this. If he's lost the room, he needs to go, because nothing will get solved if the players aren't listening to the coach. He's not the solution, I think that much is becoming obvious, which sucks for him, because I still think he's a decent bench-boss. Not a great one, but not nearly as bad as HFSens would lead you to believe. Again, I'm always of the opinion that it's the player's fault for tuning out a coach, but you're not realistically going to flip the players when the dressing room goes south. The coach goes, and you hope the dressing room feels bad enough about getting a guy fired to give a crap for the new guy.

3) Even if the current coach is fired and we bring in someone new, I don't see this team getting any better, skill-wise. We are what we are this season, and the way to recover it is to re-focus the year on realistic goals, like player development. Playoffs may have been the goal in September, but we can't assume we're going to get top-3 goaltending all year from our goalies - they're due to regress a bit, and I don't know if this team, as it currently is constructed, is ready to compensate for that. Maybe we squeak into a wild card spot, but "wild card low seed" should never be your final goal. You don't make a coaching change to squeak into the playoffs, you make a coaching change because you're looking 3-5 years into the future.

4) Furthering point #3, the last thing this team needs is for us to bring in a "saviour coach" mid-season - IF Maclean is given his walking orders, you get an interim guy to play out the year and focus on developing the kids, and find your permanent guy in the offseason. Bring in a guy like Andy Murray - someone who won't care what the team's record is for the rest of the season, and just focus on getting the young kids in our system ready for next year.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
And to think that we could have had Hartley if we wanted and he has a Flames team with almost no quality sitting 4th in the West right now.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
1) Coach isn't the problem in Ottawa, it's the players. In the oldest and richest tradition in hockey: a coach will probably be fired because the team on the ice couldn't produce results. Happened numerous times before, and will happen numerous times again.

2) That being said, I'm not sure the current coach is able to fix this. If he's lost the room, he needs to go, because nothing will get solved if the players aren't listening to the coach. He's not the solution, I think that much is becoming obvious, which sucks for him, because I still think he's a decent bench-boss. Not a great one, but not nearly as bad as HFSens would lead you to believe. Again, I'm always of the opinion that it's the player's fault for tuning out a coach, but you're not realistically going to flip the players when the dressing room goes south. The coach goes, and you hope the dressing room feels bad enough about getting a guy fired to give a crap for the new guy.

3) Even if the current coach is fired and we bring in someone new, I don't see this team getting any better, skill-wise. We are what we are this season, and the way to recover it is to re-focus the year on realistic goals, like player development. Playoffs may have been the goal in September, but we can't assume we're going to get top-3 goaltending all year from our goalies - they're due to regress a bit, and I don't know if this team, as it currently is constructed, is ready to compensate for that. Maybe we squeak into a wild card spot, but "wild card low seed" should never be your final goal. You don't make a coaching change to squeak into the playoffs, you make a coaching change because you're looking 3-5 years into the future.

4) Furthering point #3, the last thing this team needs is for us to bring in a "saviour coach" mid-season - IF Maclean is given his walking orders, you get an interim guy to play out the year and focus on developing the kids, and find your permanent guy in the offseason. Bring in a guy like Andy Murray - someone who won't care what the team's record is for the rest of the season, and just focus on getting the young kids in our system ready for next year.

Put the guy with a great roster, maybe he when's a cup, and then he's all of a sudden a great coach.

We have no idea how good he is. We are on the outside.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Put the guy with a great roster, maybe he when's a cup, and then he's all of a sudden a great coach.

We have no idea how good he is. We are on the outside.

I agree absolutely.

Like I said, if Maclean is given his walking orders, it's because the team has stopped listening to him. Even great coaches can't do anything with a roster that actively tunes him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad