Paul MacLean Thread, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I doubt very many trades if any are made without trying to trade the players to other teams during the process, so I don't think there are any one-on-one trades.
methot is an easy example, Murray wanted Methot, and the two teams probably exclusively worked to get a deal done

although picking a coach may not be Murray's talent, him being a former coach, I think he can probably evaluate one after hiring one really well

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
it depends on what edm wants not so much who is interested

I am sure a lot of teams were interested in ryan but how many teams could have given up what we did? probably not many

same in this case if Edm wants a number 1 goalie and Ottawa is willing to give them one then we might have an edge over say mtl who can't

it really depends on what edm wants and how they value our players compared to murray

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
I feel bad for Maclean but at the same time I don't like his decision making and line juggling. That's not how you develop players.

The way the Senators are playing it looks like there in "Punting Mode". You hate when competitive people punt a season but in a draft like this you go all in.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
I have been less critical of him this year but just to follow up on a previous post where I mentioned that Ray Shero was spotted twice in the pressbox. Dan Bylsma is still out of a job. He coach under Shero and played for Murray.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Why bother? Might as well get a great pick. Unless the new guy is some player development guru who is going to make the young guys awesome. Sens will make a move, get the impact bonus pts that come from a new guy for 20 games, and screw themselves out of 5 or 6 spots in the draft. It'll be Zibby instead of Landeskog all over again. Typical Sens. Just commit to getting better, enough of this short-sighted ********. LA missed the play-offs for seven years in a row. Chicago had a horrible decade. Pittsburgh too. We need better players.

HonestSenator

Dec 11, 2013
Mac (nor anyone else) is going anywhere. Remember that the prime (I mean only) driver on this team is economics. Team needs to do things as cheaply as possible (whether its players or coaches). There is no way Mr. M. is going to be able to live with himself paying anyone for not working for him (whether its Greening, DaCosta not getting a decent contract, Mac, etc...).

Remember the Golden Rule. He who controls the gold, makes the rules.

Having said that, great comeback so far tonight by the Sens. The way the first period went I thought it would be a blowout for Vancouver.

Karlsson2Turris*

I thought he was an idiot for keeping Ryan off the Turris line. Turns out he was right after all :laugh:

I don't like him all the time, but gotta give credit where it's due.

SevenOfSpades

Dec 9, 2010
I think this win has probably earned him the right to stay until 2015, but he's still on thin ice.

Really hope he can turn this team around...

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Mac (nor anyone else) is going anywhere. Remember that the prime (I mean only) driver on this team is economics. Team needs to do things as cheaply as possible (whether its players or coaches). There is no way Mr. M. is going to be able to live with himself paying anyone for not working for him (whether its Greening, DaCosta not getting a decent contract, Mac, etc...).

Remember the Golden Rule. He who controls the gold, makes the rules.

Having said that, great comeback so far tonight by the Sens. The way the first period went I thought it would be a blowout for Vancouver.

You have a point but I think he is used to paying coaches for not coaching. Paddock,Hartsburg etc. Not sure about Clouston.

And Melnyk sure didn't sound like he expected to keep him around

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I truly believe that the comeback last night saved Mac's job. A listless 4-0 loss would have resulted in a coaching change this morning. At least the players proved last night that they have some heart, and are willing to play hard for the guy. It's hardly Mac's fault that our blueline depth is a hot mess, and that so many forwards have dried up all at once...

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Maclean is doing a good job, watch Phillips on the Vrbata break away, whats he doing? Who's he covering, he looks like he thinks he's in a curling match and sweeping the stone - and his give away on goal #2 - just brutal - blame the coach all you want but if the players play hockey like this not even Pierre McQuires good friend Scotty Bowman could coach this team to the playoffs

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Maclean is doing a good job, watch Phillips on the Vrbata break away, whats he doing? Who's he covering, he looks like he thinks he's in a curling match and sweeping the stone - and his give away on goal #2 - just brutal - blame the coach all you want but if the players play hockey like this not even Pierre McQuires good friend Scotty Bowman could coach this team to the playoffs

This Phillips guy is getting the second most ice time out of all our defenceman this year. Who's in charge of that?

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
Maclean isn't the problem when it comes to shots missing the net. Karlsson should have 20 goals by now...and Stone on the breakaway last night, damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad